Starting exercise routine, starting "barefoot" shoes

Options
I'm planning on starting a running routine. At the same time I'm planning on switching to barefoot shoes for mostly all activities (daily wear, business casual, and exercising).

The primary cause of injury related to barefoot shoes is your legs and body not used to them causing injury to the Achilles and calf.

My question is, should I start running with regular running shoes and slowly ease into barefoot shoes, or can I go straight to barefoot shoes since there's no need to "adjust" my running from regular shoes to barefoot?

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    🗣️ @RunsWithBees
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Start running with regular shoes more like you're used to walking in. Don't even think about starting to try barefoot style shoes until you've been running long enough to be used to it and comfortable doing it. Then transition slowly, do one run a week in them and the rest in your normal shoes, work up.

You can walk in them more and right away. Walking puts a lot less impact on your feet and ankles than running. Minimalist shoes change your mechanics, stuff like no more heel strike. A lot of that is pretty similar walking to running so walking in them might help you transition.

I injured my feet and ankles in a car accident. If you are a person who values being active, know that the wrong injury can change your life and takes longer than you think to heal, I'm still not at 100% after 15 months. If you're about to start running look into Couch to 5k. Ease into the barefoot style shoes.

Agree with the above. If you would like to transition to barefoot or minimalist shoes like Vibrams maybe add a VERY short walk in them, like a block and gradually increase the length of the walk to your runs.

If your running shoes have a significant heel to toe drop, get you next pair of running shoes some with less heel to toe drop, while still increasing your time in the minimalist shoes.

Best of luck.
  • atxraptor
    atxraptor Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Appreciate the help! At the risk of sounding like a jerk (which I certainly do not intend and truly appreciate all the advice I receive, but it's difficult to convey with just text), is/are there any evidence/studies to support the need to start running in running shoes first before starting with barefoot shoes? I know there are discussions about people who are already used to running in regular shoes, but couldn't find anything about starting out.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    atxraptor wrote: »
    Appreciate the help! At the risk of sounding like a jerk (which I certainly do not intend and truly appreciate all the advice I receive, but it's difficult to convey with just text), is/are there any evidence/studies to support the need to start running in running shoes first before starting with barefoot shoes? I know there are discussions about people who are already used to running in regular shoes, but couldn't find anything about starting out.

How many years have you been walking around and doing all your daily activities in shoes? Now you are talking about starting a high impact activity (running) barefoot when your body isnt acclimated to "existing" barefoot.

Each of these will require a long slow adaptation not a good idea to do both at once.

Pretty decent article:

"A 12-Step Plan for Transitioning to Minimalist Running Shoes | Breaking Muscle" https://breakingmuscle.com/amp/fitness/a-12-step-plan-for-transitioning-to-minimalist-running-shoes
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    Options
    Not running related but I prefer to do some weights barefoot or in my Leguano shoes. Particularly squats. Any kind of heel seems to lean me forward.

I don’t run or do longer walks in them but otherwise I wear my Leguanos everywhere. Pricey, but they last absolutely forever and can be washed in the washing machine and air dry overnight.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,395 Member
    Options
    I've been walking barefoot at home for ages (well, indoor socks, basically) but would never consider starting to run cold turkey this way. My feet muscles and tendons might be used to walking short distances, but running is something completely different.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    @MaltedTea : great article!

@atxraptor : I assume you are an adult who can make their own informed decision. Hopefully you are young and can recover if you develop a stress injury, which is common with these shoes.

Note: When these shoes were first popular, I knew of many cases where mature people quickly developed problems from running in them. One never recovered to be able to run again (metatarsal stress fracture). There are many articles that warn against running in them. Also, look at the article that @MaltedTea found: running in them slows you down on average, meaning you can't get as good a workout. The truth is that modern running shoes are a engineering marvel that are proven to reduce stress injuries. They also reduce traumatic injuries, as when you inadvertently step on something sharp.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options

Sounds like you want to begin in a more structured/planned manner and want concrete studies on the subject. I might not be much help because I didn’t do this, I just sort of started barefoot, I didn’t do much research. After never having exercised regularly at all, I began running in traditional shoes but they caused me terrible shin splints and after only a few months of trying unsuccessfully to fix that, out of desperation I tried barefoot. I just figured there was life before Nike and went for it. But I did start out very very slow, I cannot stress that enough. A few years later, my bf and my son also were not runners and started running barefoot with me sort of coaching them about form and making sure they didn’t do too much too soon and they seemed to transition much faster than I did, I figure it’s because I didn’t have a coach. But I run more frequently and longer distances than both of them combined and I’ve had a fantastic experience and never had any more shin splints! I never recommend that anyone do what I did though because everyone is different and YMMV (literally!)
    I hope you have a great experience no matter what approach you choose to try... happy running! :)
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I switched to barefoot shoes approximately 15 years ago. My history was high school sprinting and long distance running and then starting a running routine in my 20s for overall health. Well that landed me with shin splints turned to multiple stress fractures in both legs. Healed and treated for those just to have them recur in the next year. I had tried so many pairs of shoes and so many different techniques, but I had not tried barefoot style shoes yet. A Physio I was seeing recommended them. He gave no instruction on how to start with them but I used common sense.

Start slow, I would not say you need to begin with “regular” shoes. Just start super slow. Wear them for walks and hikes, wear them in your yard, do two to five minutes at a slow jog once a week. Yes just once a week. After a month add another short jog. Do that for another month and then add 3-5 minutes to that. Etc. You have to go very slow or as above you will get injured.

It took me a whole year to get to running a mile(injury plus barefoot style shoes). After that year I built up faster and the next year began running 5-10miles a few times a week. I have now been doing this a long time. 3 half marathons, tons of 20+ mile hikes, and regular daily walks and weight training. I am and have been the whole time 20ish lbs above a healthy bmi, have had no injury, and my skinny chicken legs gained some muscle and chiseled up nicely. I have tried “regular” shoes when I think I may need more support and have thrown every pair out after multiple tries due to extreme soreness, pain like the shin splints were recurring, and blisters. My vibrams and similar styled shoes are something I will never stray from.

Take it easy, pay attention to how you feel, and progress carefully.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I do all of my exercise in barefoot type shoes (or Nike Free which are not strictly barefoot but are the most comfortable shoes for me) because much of what I do requires good contact with the ground. I am not a runner but even now, several years into using barefoot shoes, I'm not sure I'd relish the idea of running in them. Certainly not for any distance at first.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Make only one major change at a time. It’s a good suggestion for life. 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • bcalvanese
    bcalvanese Posts: 32 Member
    Options

There are a couple factors here...

Heel toe drop is a factor because if you have been wearing shoes that have a heel toe drop since you have been wearing shoes, then you are going to have to adjust to that as well as adjust to barefoot shoes.

Most people who have been running for a long time in regular shoes do not want to be bothered putting in the amount of work that it takes to transition to barefoot shoes, so you are probably not going to find much information on that.

Here is one person that has a lot of good information on barefoot running...

https://youtube.com/c/kalclashfitness/videos

Also, do some research on barefoot shoes as well, because a lot of shoes are marketed as barefoot shoes when they are really not barefoot shoes. Generally a barefoot shoe should have no midsole and should allow the bottom of your foot to feel the details of the ground. They should be so flexible that you can literally roll them up into a ball. There are also minimalist shoes that have very little midsole and are very flexible as well.

For example I would consider the HFS from xero shoes to be a barefoot shoe, and the Merrell Trail glove to be a minimalist shoe.

As mentioned above, take your time and do it very gradually. There is no rule saying you have to start out with regular shoes first as long as you do it very slowly. As mentioned above, it takes years to develop the joints/muscles/tendons.

I have been switching back and forth for years now, and as time goes on, I am gravitating more and more to the barefoot shoes. When I put regular shoes on it really bugs the crap out of me now not being able to feel the ground, and I feel less stable too.

Take the advice above about taking it slow very seriously. Most people get injured from not taking it slow enough, and most people that used to get injured wearing regular running shoes and transitioned properly never got injured wearing barefoot shoes. At least from my research.

Good luck.
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    *Stares down at hokas* hmmmmm
  • 230137isntmyweight
    230137isntmyweight Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting back into running, I run in Vibrams. My suggestion, and what worked for me when I started running in '11 was to do a C25k program using the shoe of your choice or barefoot. Build up very slowly and listen to your body. There's no point in running in sneakers and then switching because you'll have to change your gate and it will frustrate you. I wear my Vibrams almost exclusively except for at work where I am required to have a 'closed-toe' shoe. And then I make sure to wear the flatest shoe possible.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I was already using custom orthotics in all shoes to finally get over a long term plantar issue.
    Got some 0 drop super flexible Sketcher shoes and used those - not much needed in way of transition, just walked and stretched before running.

Went to barefoot (5 Fingers 1st, then Merrill Trailgloves, barefoot with socks on treadmill) and backed down on mileage and pace. I already ran properly with no heel strike so no change for me there, and that muscle engagement for shock absorb is the main thing to get used to.

From there kept increasing back up to 6 mile runs on treadmill at normal pace, and trail runs, no issues.

Unless you know how to land midfoot correctly, running in regular shoes is not going to prep you for barefoot style running I think.
    Just start the barefoot on grass or shock-absorbing treadmill, at very slow pace and short time.
    If you can mimic the style correctly in regular shoes, then get some 0 drop and start there for the extra cushioning just for the feet. The correct form takes care of shock for the body, but the feet do require their own buildup time.

Discovered later unequal leg length issue, so needed shoes for inserts if on road or treadmill, still did 0 or 4mm drop. Still use the Trailgloves for trails where everything is unequal length already and inserts not needed.