just started the hcg diet, any advice?

Options
Hey yall, im on day two of the very low calorie diet (vlcd) along with taking the hcg fusion drops. I have been STARVING the past two days and i am aware that 500 calories is not going to fill me up but I have lost 2.5 lbs already which is pretty motivating. I just need to know if these hunger pangs will go away. or if im just going to keep starving to death haha!

Replies

• mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My advice is to give it up, its a scam.
  • jessbennett1986
    Options
    My advice? Stop doing it! Google it and do your research. Do you know that you are ingesting the HCG hormone that comes from a pregnant woman's placenta?
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    Ditto the previous comments. Just exercise, eat a healthy, balanced, diet, and the weight will come off in a healthy and timely manner.
  • GreenGettingLean
    GreenGettingLean Posts: 252 Member
    Options

Agreed. Portion control, healthy eating choices, and exercise is the only sustainable way to lose weight and keep it off.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options

This. The 2.5lbs you've lost is probably water weight.

Once you start actually eating again, you will gain it all back. At 500 calories, you are starving yourself.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    the HCG actually doesn't do anything, you lose weight due to restricting calories

in case you were wondering...

Stein et al Ineffectiv­eness of human chorionic gonadotrop­in in weight reduction: a double-bli­nd study American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol 29, 940-948

"HCG does not appear to enhance the effectiven­ess of a rigidly imposed regimen for weight reduction"

Lijesen et al The effect of human chorionic gonadotrop­in (HCG) in the treatment of obesity by means of the Simeons therapy: a criteria-b­ased meta-analy­sis Br J Clin Pharmacol. 1995 Sep;40(3):­237-43

"there is no scientific evidence that hCG is effective in the treatment of obesity; it does not bring about weight-los­s of fat-redist­ribution, nor does it reduce hunger or induce a feeling of well-being­.""

also see; JAMA 236:2495–2­497, 1976, American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 29:940–948­, 1976, American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 12:230–234­, 1963, S Afr Med J. 1990 Feb 17;77(4):1­85-9, West Journal of Medicine 127:461–46­3, 1977, Archives of Internal Medicine 137:151-15­5, 1977
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    step away from the magic pregnant lady pee
  • TonnaJai
    TonnaJai Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat just 500 calories, yesterday was such a hectic day for me that I missed a couple meals and snacks and was no where near my calorie intake and I was so sick and miserable my body reminded me that it was lacking and that is what your body is doing. I wouldn't take any weight loss supplements, do some research, last time I heard HCG it was my levels during my pregnancy.

Best Wishes
  • LisaMarieee
    LisaMarieee Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    500 calories a day in the long term is NOT sustainable. If you eat that little for too long your hair will fall out, your nails will become brittle and you'll probably end up blacking out/fainting, whatever you want to call it. My advice is to ditch the stupid, "quick fix" diet and up the exercise instead.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

But it tastes good when you sweeten it with Stevia!
  • jenttifer
    jenttifer Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Ditto to the above comments. A diet is just that...a diet...they're all scams and the weight comes back when the diet is done. Change your way of life with healthy food choices, portion control, and exercise and you'll be amazed at how much weight you can lose.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

This. Seriously. Don't do it. I know people who did it and gained all the weight back once they started eating enough calories to sustain their bodies. Such a bad idea.
  • MrsPhan11
    MrsPhan11 Posts: 2,502 Member
    Options
    DON'T DO IT! Whatever weight you lose, you will gain it back and then some. Any diet that tells you not to exercise is crazy. I remember 3 of my co-workers doing it and they all lost like 15-20 lbs. They gained it all back within a few months.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    My mama always said if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

But I never did listen to my mama.

My humble opinion- it's a fad diet. If you curb your calories to 500-1000 calories a day, you'll lose weight with or without the hcg. And you'll gain any loss back as soon as you begin eating normally again.

Not a fan, and I don't think it's helps you adopt any of the healthy lifestyle skills to sustain a weight loss.

With that said, I wish you the best of luck and health.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Please hang with us, this is a good place. I've seen lots of people use drugs, or the latest fads to lose weight, and sadly they go right back to where they were after spending lots of money. The diet industry makes millions off of us. I'm thankful for this free MFP site and the support offered. The best weight loss is lost through good old fashioned exercise and paying attention to calories.
  • jessbennett1986
    Options

But it tastes good when you sweeten it with Stevia!

Offensive to stevia! LMAO!
  • danaschmanke
    Options
    I have not felt hungry, the drops help to control that and you do get a nutritious lunch and dinner as well as 2 pieces of fruit a day. You will be so happy with your results, so just stick with it!! This diet will retrain you bad eating habits (which is what got us here in the first place)
  • joynaus
    joynaus Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat enough calories your body will go into starvation mode and you will not lose weight. Your body will hold onto as much fat as it can. You need to make sure you eat as close to the calories that myfitnesspal says as you can. Protein is very important, for one it fills you up so you stay full longer. You should probably be eating a 1200 calorie diet., Remember in order to lose weight and keep it off it is a lifestyle change. Unless you plan on taking those fusion drops and eating 500 calories for the rest of your life, you probably won't keep it off.

I am not trying to be mean but honest. I have been at this for a long time and the only thing that I have found that works is healthy eating, which includes lots of fruits and vegetables and water and exercise, exercise, exercise. There is never too much exercise. Remember it takes 30 days to make something a habit. I am also telling my daughters the same thing, I have one that is 19 next month and the other is 16.

Have faith in yourself and you can lose weight the right way and make that lifestyle change. If you are on here, you already on the right track.
  • natalietowens
    Options
    Thank you for posting research based information. Everyone one to lose weight fast (including myself) but when you lose it fast you are more likely to put it all back on with interest.
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    They had this on Dr.Oz.
    Don't do it, it is NOT good for your body!!!!!