Set Reasonable Goals

Options
I am so new to losing weight and not sure what is considered reasonable :) I started in July really thinking about losing weight and that is when I started excerising ... I managed to get down to 191.8 by August 24th and then I gained back up to 193 until last week when I started excerising again regularly and logging into here .. this morning I was 189.2 which I haven't been since 2006 !! I weighed 140 when I met my husband and he has asked me not to get any smaller than I was then because he liked me then but thinks any smaller I would look unhealthy but at 140 I am still considered overweight :( My goal is 135 so I will be in my normal weight range and then if I feel I can spare to lose more I will :):)

My anniversary is November 1st and my birthday is November 29th so I would ideally love to hit 160 around then since that would just be overweight and smaller than I have been since 2005 is that reasonable ?? Would it be reasonable to think I can hit 135 by Valentines Day ??

Thanks for any advice :):)

Replies

• Motorgirl6
    Options
    I have found that aiming for small goals is easier than looking at the big picture. Personally, aiming for a certain weight loss per month seems to be working best for me.
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    This may sound silly but start with logging daily, making healthier choices and not beating yourself up on those days when you don't and getting your exercise in. Set your goals in small increments.. 10 lbs at a time. You will probably hit some plateaus and when you do, it's easier to stay focused when you aren't worrying about still have 20 or 22 or whatever lbs to lose..

just my thoughts.. congrats on your success so far.. it sounds like you got it right !
  • mrsmccullen07
    Options
    Thanks :) I am aiming for 1.5lbs a week atleast to reach all my goals :):) I am going to just try and focus week to week !! I am so loving this site :)
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    This may sound silly but start with logging daily, making healthier choices and not beating yourself up on those days when you don't and getting your exercise in. Set your goals in small increments.. 10 lbs at a time. You will probably hit some plateaus and when you do, it's easier to stay focused when you aren't worrying about still have 20 or 22 or whatever lbs to lose..

just my thoughts.. congrats on your success so far.. it sounds like you got it right !

Great advice!
  • Angie789
    Angie789 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    One thing to keep in mind is that the closer you get to your goals, the slower the weight will come off (i.e., the dreaded "last ten pounds"). If your goals are based on you continuing to lose 1.5 pounds a week, then I'm going to say no - that's not reasonable.

I agree with the others - don't get too hung up on achieving a particular weight by a particular day - it's a lifestyle, and you just have to enjoy the journey without placing crazy pressure on yourself.
  • Riverofbeauty
    Riverofbeauty Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I think the most important thing is not getting unmotivated by a stall/slight gain. If you eat something bad, don't hate yourself for it either. Each day is fresh. Start the next morning healthy and continue that way.

Good luck with your goals :)
  • CindyWarner
    Options
    I've been doing this for about a month. My Dr told me to set a goal for 1 pound a week. I've lost 7 now, exceeding her goal. I've only made small changes so far but since I'm losing more that my Dr recommends. Than I'm going to just keep doing what I'm doing right now and if I plateau then I'll adjust from there.

I'm told 1 pound a week is a healthy way to lose weight. I didn't gain the weight over night so I don't expect to lose it quickly. In one year I hope to be a shadow of my former self. :smile:
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    A pound a week is perfect. I think at 189 (which, by the way, CONGRATS on reaching that goal!) you should expect to lose something like 5 pounds a month if you eat consistently within your calorie range and exercise often.