Treadmill calorie counter

Options
How many calories should i subtract
from this to get a better idea. I heard these werent the most accurate.

k240vvp7w2uw.jpg

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Compare to an accurate calculator.
    The Gross option would be the correct to compare to.
    The Net would be the correct to log on MFP since it's an add-on site for calories.
    Fitbit, Garmin, ect are replace-type sites and you would use Gross there too if there was a need to correct their reading.

https://exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs

Did you put in your weight on treadmill?
    If not forget even dealing with correct amount to subtract.

• GCMI90
    GCMI90 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately it does not ask for weight. Well i guess atleast i am active lol
  • Ralphone
    Ralphone Posts: 1,836 Member
    Options
    I have run a treadmill for about 10 years yes 10. I know there calorie count is very off .But if you run or walk everyday it will definitely help lose weight and stay in shape. I also us a fitbit and think its off as well.They say a chest strap is the most accurate.I would say the count is some where between the treadmill and the fitbit lol .I know not much help. Just pick something and log it .Just be consistent and good luck 👍
  • heybales
    edited November 2020
    Options
    @GCMI90
    If no place to put in weight (I find that hard to believe for a NordicTrack) then use the link to manually log good value on MFP.

@Ralphone
    Calculated via formula developed over decades of research using treadmills in studies and actual calorie measurements will be more accurate than HR-based calorie burn.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/774337/how-to-test-hrm-for-how-accurate-calorie-burn-is/p1

But if you like the treadmill you can test your HRM.

• GCMI90
    Options
    ill have to look more into it i bought it from someone last year you might be right i just set the speed and incline and go are there setting you can get to
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Well, as you know, you're not burning 11 calories per minute on that treadmill unless you are going really fast, and on a decent incline, and obese, and even then ...

Being the owner of a NordicTrack treadmill and bike (which seem to use roughly the same calorie algorithm), I subtract 30 % from the calories - AFTER knocking off 100 calories per hour to get from gross to net calories (i.e. you burn 100/hr just existing, so that has to be subtracted, because it's double-counting). Thus, on the treadmill shown in the pic, I would go with (525-100)*.7 = 298.

Whatever your actual calorie burn is for that 46 minute workout, it probably isn't too far off from 298. That works out to 6.5 calories per minute, or 390/hr, which is probably not a bad ballpark estimate on a treadmill, for most overweight people working out at decent but not fanatical intensity levels. If you're just strolling 2.5 mph, you're not gonna get 390 cal/hr.

My Sole bike has more honest calories, it's interesting to see how different companies balance the need to provide good data with the marketing angle of wanting people to see the machine as a mega fat-burning tool.

• GCMI90
    Options
    run a lap walk a lap 3.5 for walk and 5.7 for run set at 4 incline while running at 8 while walking. i weight 272
  • MelLC2019
    MelLC2019 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I always heard a good rule of thumb is you burn approx. 100 calories per mile. But I never researched that so...
  • heybales
    Options
    GCMI90 wrote: »
    run a lap walk a lap 3.5 for walk and 5.7 for run set at 4 incline while running at 8 while walking. i weight 272

Not sure what a lap means on a treadmill.

Don't attempt to use the calculator link like that then unless you enjoy math - just use the stats for the end of the run for total time and distance, and the avg incline of 6.

Unless you mean a lap is some set distance for the walking chunk and the running chunk - in which case add all the distance chunks together, figure the time - and use the calc.
    You only need to do it once, then find the entry for weight on the machine, and see if it's near correct.

@MelLC2019 - no it's not - a 140 lb per and 220 lb per run a mile each - same calorie burn?