Veg*n parent accountability

I'm yet again starting over with trying to get back on a healthy track. My family is vegetarian (my goal is vegan but one challenge at a time). I have a 4 year old and a soon to be 2 year old (in feb). Both are extremely picky eaters and their dad has some dietary restrictions (low iron and gluten free) so that makes things hard. Both parents work out of the house. Life is pure chaos. Making time to work out and cook healthy options is hard. Really hard. I can get a week long streak here or there and then stress catches up with me and I backtrack HARD. I am currently at my highest weight from WHILE I WAS PREGNANT with my first. Seeing pictures of myself with my kids lately and I dont even recognize myself. I have >50lbs to lose and quite frankly it's so daunting it makes me spiral just thinking about how I'm going to fix this. I've met my goal weight once before but it was pre-kids so... I have no idea how to do this with the time i have available these days. I need help. I am desperate for an accountability buddy... someone to check in with daily on what we eat and our activities. I have lots of beachbody DVDs and a treadmill so I have what I need to be active... just the support and motivation to keep it up while ultra stressed... anyone out there up for a challenge?

Replies

• ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    I am no longer vegan, actually for health reasons, as strange as that sounds. But I can relate to being spread thin from the daily grind and family life, and to gaining weight and feeling overwhelmed about how to lose it. I've found that on this journey, there needs to be some degree of self-motivation, at least in terms of experimenting and finding what can actually work for you. Sometimes, you win right away and find a groove but usually, in my experience, you might need to play around a little bit to see what can work in your life because a life with kids is always in flux.

For me, addressing the stress has been key. Yoga and meditation and reading books about emotional eating have been helpful. Also, working with a therapist has helped me learn better tools for being present as a parent and managing my stress.

Weight loss comes, firstly, from eating right. The exercise component is more about heart health and physical wellness -- all good things. But weight loss happens when you eat well. That's a hard fact to learn. It's still difficult for me to learn, but there it is.

Perhaps begin with stress management and nutrition. Add in the exercise once you feel you have understood some tools to deal with these. That will set you up for success.
  • johnsjl3
    johnsjl3 Posts: 9 Member
    thanks for the response! I must have missed the notification and just saw this now. I agree, weightloss happens in the kitchen, not in the gym (for the most part). I just feel better and find myself to be more motivated when I keep up with the activity as well but maybe you're right, start with one thing at a time and try to work in baby steps as I go. I never had issues with finding time to cook before when I tried to lose weight. The kids throw a whole new level into it all and figuring out meals for everyone in the family is a big enough step for now. Maybe i'll look into a meal plan of sorts for now and revisit the rest when I build better habbits there. thanks!