Non-dairy milk in mashed potatoes?

Options
My youngest son is doing a low-FODMAP diet to try to get his IBS under control and identify his triggers. In an attempt to make him a Thanksgiving dinner he can eat, I want to make him "safe" mashed potatoes. Homemade chicken broth is safe, and so is margarine. But which of the non-dairy milks is going to go well and not have an odd taste when added to give the mashed potatoes a little more liquid?

If this were a sweet application like a custard I would unhesitatingly use almond milk, but I'm not sure if it will work here.

Opinions and thoughts?

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened coconut milk? Should provide the creaminess.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options

But would the coconut flavor come through?

• Chef_Barbell
    Options

But would the coconut flavor come through?

I use very little and do not notice the flavor coming through
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    I'll do a test batch. I don't eat mashed potatoes myself (texture issue) but my girlfriend will take one for the team on this. (grin)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I think you'll be fine with just chicken broth.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    Also saving the potato water as a thickener is an option... use Yukon gold potatoes
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Walmart (and most other stores) have a vegan half and half. Better Half is made by Califia Farms. Also, Silk has one that I know Walmart carries. Or try Whole Foods. Cashew Milk is nice and creamy too. I LOVE Nature's Charm Condensed Coconut milk to make things richer. It's amazing and you can't tell it's coconut. Just made an alfredo sauce tonight with it.

The key to good mashed potatoes is using Yukon Golds. Tofutti Cream Cheese is also a great add in for mashed potatoes.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I use silk organic unsweetened soy milk.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I’ve used unsweetened almond milk. It changes the flavor a little, but not in a bad way.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I use silk unsweetened cashew milk. Very creamy and mild flavor. Almond works well too.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    My youngest son is doing a low-FODMAP diet to try to get his IBS under control and identify his triggers. In an attempt to make him a Thanksgiving dinner he can eat, I want to make him "safe" mashed potatoes. Homemade chicken broth is safe, and so is margarine. But which of the non-dairy milks is going to go well and not have an odd taste when added to give the mashed potatoes a little more liquid?

If this were a sweet application like a custard I would unhesitatingly use almond milk, but I'm not sure if it will work here.

Opinions and thoughts?

There are unsweetened versions of almond milk and soy milk widely available. If you could find an unsweetened oat milk, I'd be inclined to try that. Or look for a non-dairy cream or half and half sub (not a nondairy "creamer" which will be sweetened).

Or you could just combine chicken broth for liquid and margarine for fatty "mouth feel."
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I use (unsweetened) oat milk which I think has a very neutral flavour. I’m also a fan of Oatly’s single cream oat product (in Sweden it’s called iMat, it looks like it might be Creamy Oat in the US) which is richer and IMO negates the need for butter (margarine is not a flavour enhancer in my world).
  • krose4514
    krose4514 Posts: 72 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I recently tried unsweetened almond milk when I was making mashed potatoes and out of normal milk. I couldn’t tell the difference at all! Now I intentionally choose the almond milk as it’s also lower calorie win-win!
  • tracybear86
    tracybear86 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I use Kite Hill almond milk cream cheese (plain or chive flavor and only Kite Hill brand). Neutral flavor and makes the potatoes really nice and creamy! I haven't had a lot of success with the non-dairy milks. I think they change the flavor too much. If you are going to try one make sure you get unsweetened and I agree with some of the others that oat milk is probably your best bet.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I use soy milk for most things that call for “milk”.
  • lnxjenn
    lnxjenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened Almond milk for Mash a lot. You can also use Ghee instead of margarine. Margarine will likely be inflammatory for his IBS.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Earth balance has a great buttery taste instead of margarine too.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I've used a small quantity of oat milk and also rice milk without noticing any difference in the flavour.
  • SLL1803
    SLL1803 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Oat milk is what you need.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I would check the full list of ingredients on any plant based milk to verify that none are a no-no on low FODMAP. Taste wise, most unsweetened plain options should be fine. I've used both Silk Soy and Silk Cashew before with good success.

Good luck to your son. Both my husband and adult son have IBS. My husband was fortunate to get great relief from a low dose tricyclic antidepressant (amitriptyline) - which was the historical treatment for IBS-D. My son has not had as much luck finding a solution.