One and only question

Hey Team just have one question for you, I know that my fitness pal doesn’t take exercise calories into consideration when giving your deficit but can you let me know if I have to eat my exercise calories back please. I am a 32 year old male, 231 lbs, super outdoor kind of guy love running and hiking and am aiming for 2lbs a week. I easily run 5 miles almost everyday to get the blood pumping in the morning and my active calories on my iPhone say I burn around 600 calories from that run. Should I add those on to my calories for the day, seems like it’s a lot?! Attached picture with stats for reference. Thank you for any and every response oqz0my5jkv21.png

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Short answer: Yes, you can eat some or all of your exercise calories back. There are many thread discussions on this in the forums.

You need to fuel your daily living and if that includes running/jogging then you need to eat a bit more that day accordingly.

I don't run long distance (10km+) anymore but when I did I allowed myself to eat more carbs in the hours beforehand.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,797 Member
    What she said . . . especially with an aggressive loss rate goal, which 2 pounds a week would be at 231 *if* you have less than 50 pounds (and more than maybe 8) to lose.
  • AndreaTamira
    AndreaTamira Posts: 272 Member
    edited November 2020
    You definitely should eat some of your exercise calories back.

It may need a bit of trial and error to figure out how many (your calories burned on your iPhone are an estimate, as is how many calories MFP thinks you should eat). Many people seem to decide of how many exercise calories to eat back ( examples: all of them, about half of them), stick with it for a while and then have a look at how much they are losing over a few weeks. Depending on that they make adjustments on the amount of calories to eat back.