Newbie in Need of help!!

Options
Hi! I'm Tasha! I've only just started using the app on my phone.... and it is GREAT!! The only thing is that I don't think that I'm eating enough. All of my calorie intake is between 1200-1400 a day, but since I'm a dog walker by day and mom by night, I end up burning a little over 1000 calories by the time I get around to eating dinner. Does anyone have any advice as to how many calories I should be consuming per meal to meet my 1200/day net calorie goal? Any help would be great!! Thanks a bunch!

Tasha

Replies

• wimomof2boys
    Options
    HI Tasha,
    Are you also eating snacks?
  • Emily4H
    Emily4H Posts: 170
    Options
    there are many thoughts on this - some people eat the exercise cals - some dont. Make sure you get your 1200 (or whatever it says) in every day. When your hungry - eat more of the exercise cals. It should work out in the long run. Slow and steady wins this race. :flowerforyou:
  • nrgalloway
    Options
    I do eat snacks whenever I get the chance.... but today I barely had time to eat lunch... and now I am feeling it... i've been light headed and dizzy for the past 3 hours or so... i'm about to break down an eat the last banana... :( even though i know it's late... i'm just tired of feeling weak and dizzy...
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Tasha! I've only just started using the app on my phone.... and it is GREAT!! The only thing is that I don't think that I'm eating enough. All of my calorie intake is between 1200-1400 a day, but since I'm a dog walker by day and mom by night, I end up burning a little over 1000 calories by the time I get around to eating dinner. Does anyone have any advice as to how many calories I should be consuming per meal to meet my 1200/day net calorie goal? Any help would be great!! Thanks a bunch!

Tasha

What's your current weight? 1200 per day is pretty low unless you're already quite small.
  • dkjohnson
    Options
    You need to up your intake. Eat the banana it's ok.
  • nrgalloway
    Options
    I'm currently over 280.... the app suggested that i should have 1800+ per day... but i wanna loose it faster... and when i lost weight before i had my daughter 5 years ago, i only allowed myself 1200/day and i lost it pretty quickly... i don't stay motivated long, so the faster i loose it, the better...
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I'm currently over 280.... the app suggested that i should have 1800+ per day... but i wanna loose it faster... and when i lost weight before i had my daughter 5 years ago, i only allowed myself 1200/day and i lost it pretty quickly... i don't stay motivated long, so the faster i loose it, the better...

I see.

How do you think that pans out for the vast majority of folks who try it?
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    1200 calories per day is not enough for someone that weighs over 280! Why do you think you have trouble staying motivated when you eat that little? Because it's not realistic and it's not healthy! Why do you think you are dizzy? Hello?? Your body is trying to tell you something! If you learn to make healthy lifestyle changes in your diet and exercise, things you can do forever; not just to get weight off, then you will maintain your weightloss and not be on the diet yo yo! If you drop 40lbs quickly by starving yourself, guess what happens when you stop the diet? You gain it back!

Learn to eat healthy foods and get your body moving! That's how you will get & stay healthy for life!

I would be glad to offer suggestions & support if you are open to doing this the healthy way!
  • christineburrus
    Options
    Up your calorie intake to at least 1500 cals a day. I had the same problem and by eating every 2-3 hours at least 1500 cals I started losing again.
  • nrgalloway
    Options
    i don't have trouble staying motivated because of how much food i'm eating... my trouble staying motivated has everything to do with my ADD and my depression. i never know when my depression is going to hit, and when i'm depressed, i eat.... a lot... i am aware that i have set my caloric intake very low.... i set it that low so i can loose the weight, and i'm also hoping that it will help me eat less when i stop "dieting"... i do plan on sticking with eating healthier and excersizing.... so that i don't gain the weight back. I have been there and done that.... won't let myself do it again. i'm tired of being fat and i want it gone fast.

on another note.... i'm not stupid and i would really like it if you wouldn't phrase your responces as if i was jamie1888 especially... that is one thing that really angers me, and i may be likely to cuss some one out over.... i may not make the healthiest choices, but i am far from stupid...
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I don't think you're stupid. I think the approach you're using to lose the weight is stupid for *most* people.

If you're going to rely on extreme dieting tactics though, just make sure you're obtaining adequate essentials. The larger your deficit the easier it is to miss out on essential nutrition. Focus your diet around lean protein sources, healthy fats, and fibrous veggies and fruit.

I know you know this.... but it needs to be priority number 1 given the approach you're taking.

And it doesn't matter how many calories per meal. Spread your calories/nutrients across the day in accordance with your hunger patterns and schedule.

Best.
  • nrgalloway
    Options
    Thanks Steve! That was very helpful!
  • MaryStregger
    MaryStregger Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have found that I need to pack snacks around with me in my purse - several of them that are around 50 -150 calories each. I eat literally all day, but I feel really good. I am also a busy Mom and a full-time student - so I understand the stress of coordinating a diet with a busy life in which there are other people who take priority. Eat whenever you feel hungry, and really listen to your body. If you feel tired or headache-y - drink water and have a bite to eat. After many years and many diets I have learned that snacking is the answer - for me.
  • nappertwins
    nappertwins Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree with Emily4H. The exercise is like your bonus. However, it's not about deprivation so if you're hungry, eat a light snack. Preferably lean protein or fiber. I keep turkey deli slices in the frig and well as chicken stripes. I only eat enough to gain energy. Don't consume all of the exercise bonus calories... you'll see results of that later on the scale. Stay motivated. It can be done.
  • nrgalloway
    Options
    thanks guys! very helpful tips! i definately put my kids before me.... i can't even tell you how many times i have skipped breakfast and sometimes even lunch! even just yesterday i didn't have time for breakfast and didn't want to eat fast food so i just waited until luch... not fun! i think that the main reason i have gotten where i am is because i eat a majority of my calories in the evening, when i'm not so active... but thanks to this app, i have been able to keep track of what i am eating! thanks again!!