Non-dairy milk in mashed potatoes?

Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Also saving the potato water as a thickener is an option... use Yukon gold potatoes

Yes, I believe I saw this tip on America's Test Kitchen. I add salt and Italian seasoning to the water, and then use some of the water to mash, plus milk, but I'm sure all cooking water or cooking water plus stock would be yummy.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    I would check the full list of ingredients on any plant based milk to verify that none are a no-no on low FODMAP. Taste wise, most unsweetened plain options should be fine. I've used both Silk Soy and Silk Cashew before with good success.

Good luck to your son. Both my husband and adult son have IBS. My husband was fortunate to get great relief from a low dose tricyclic antidepressant (amitriptyline) - which was the historical treatment for IBS-D. My son has not had as much luck finding a solution.

I have it myself; I can't have beans, lentils, or cruciferous vegetables without a fit being thrown by my gut. At this point my limit is a tablespoon of chopped spinach to be pretty in an Alfredo sauce, a leaf or two of leaf lettuce on a sandwich, or once a week a small side salad of iceberg lettuce. I can't do it any more often or the gut gets upset. I'm not surprised he has it, I just hope that when he can start adding things back in that he's okay with onion and garlic.
  • Rhumax67
    Rhumax67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I use silk unsweetened plain soy
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,607 Member
    Options
    You could try greek mash (skordalia) with olive oil, lemon and garlic. I would add some water or chicken stock to cut down the amount of olive oil otherwise needed.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    You could try greek mash (skordalia) with olive oil, lemon and garlic. I would add some water or chicken stock to cut down the amount of olive oil otherwise needed.

If you like them, this style is amazing with steamed greens mixed in. I use arugula in winter and dandelion greens in summer.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    I've used soymilk to make traditional mashed potatoes w/o any problems but I far prefer making/eating mashed cauliflower indtead of mashed potatoes now.
  • MarttaHP
    MarttaHP Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My youngest son is doing a low-FODMAP diet to try to get his IBS under control and identify his triggers. In an attempt to make him a Thanksgiving dinner he can eat, I want to make him "safe" mashed potatoes. Homemade chicken broth is safe, and so is margarine. But which of the non-dairy milks is going to go well and not have an odd taste when added to give the mashed potatoes a little more liquid?

If this were a sweet application like a custard I would unhesitatingly use almond milk, but I'm not sure if it will work here.

Opinions and thoughts?

Any reason for not just using lactose-free milk? Since lactose is the only FODMAP found in dairy.

The problem with plant-based alternatives is that they often have other FODMAPs in them. Coconut has sorbitol, oat and rice have fructans, and soy bean-based milk has galacto-olichosaccharides. I don't know if you'd be using these in large enough quantities though for them to have an effect.

But if you want to be entirely sure, it looks like your options are lactose-free milk, almond, macadamia or soy protein-based milk (I don't know how to tell the difference between this and the soy bean-based one).
  • MarttaHP
    MarttaHP Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »

Before adding anything extra in your mashed potatoes, though, make sure that those additions are also low-FODMAP. Garlic is a definite no-no, for example.
  • Priasmama416
    Priasmama416 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've always used plain original soy milk, it doesn't change the taste
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    MarttaHP wrote: »
    My youngest son is doing a low-FODMAP diet to try to get his IBS under control and identify his triggers. In an attempt to make him a Thanksgiving dinner he can eat, I want to make him "safe" mashed potatoes. Homemade chicken broth is safe, and so is margarine. But which of the non-dairy milks is going to go well and not have an odd taste when added to give the mashed potatoes a little more liquid?

If this were a sweet application like a custard I would unhesitatingly use almond milk, but I'm not sure if it will work here.

Opinions and thoughts?

Any reason for not just using lactose-free milk? Since lactose is the only FODMAP found in dairy.

The problem with plant-based alternatives is that they often have other FODMAPs in them. Coconut has sorbitol, oat and rice have fructans, and soy bean-based milk has galacto-olichosaccharides. I don't know if you'd be using these in large enough quantities though for them to have an effect.

But if you want to be entirely sure, it looks like your options are lactose-free milk, almond, macadamia or soy protein-based milk (I don't know how to tell the difference between this and the soy bean-based one).

If lactose is the only issue, I highly recommend ultra-filtered milk (Fairlife is one brand) over traditional lactose free. They remove some of the sugar (broken down lactose is significantly sweeter than lactose) which greatly improves the taste.
  • Slb1210
    Slb1210 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I wouldn’t do any milk, you will be fine with chicken broth and some awesome seasoning just make sure you use a mixer (I have an electric hand mixer I use all the time) and use enough broth to get the texture you want. Won’t be super luxurious but it will still be delicious.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I'd probably just skip the milk tbh. Use the broth or some water along with your margarine and other seasonings. Mashed potatoes need very little milk/added liquid if the potatoes aren't overcooked so I dont see why that would have to be milk. My big issue with subbing... is that if you add 2-4 tbsp of milk substitute you're left with a full container still in your fridge that might go to waste unless you make other plans for it. Those milk subs a kind of pricey. No fun to throw out. They do last a while though. If you want to try coconut milk, you could make rice with it in the future to use it up. Goes nicely with a pineapple teriyaki sauce :)

You could probably also Google recipes for vegan mashed potatoes to see what recipes with good ratings used.
  • kealey7
    kealey7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would definitely recommend Oatly. They have unsweetened oat milk plus cream and creme fraiche. My whole family eat these in cooking now.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,131 Member
    Options
    Oat milk is considered low FODMAP in small amount (i.e. not to replace drinking but ok in recipes). I also find it to be the closest in taste to normal milk. I normally use the Alpro Unsweetened.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    We use oat milk for any recipe which requires 'milk' from cakes to sauces. Never noticed the taste. But also I've never added milk to mashed potato! I add a little margarine, that's it. If you wanted something thicker you could try single oat cream? (Although I am not familiar where either of these sit with FODMAP)