Anyone else trying to get more flexible, too?

Options
I want to be more flexible! Anyone have any advise?

Replies

• GameOver
    GameOver Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I want to be more flexible! Anyone have any advise?
  • micheleg7
    micheleg7 Posts: 34
    Options
    I just did a really great flexibility DVD with my fitness ball. It's called Ten Minute Solutions Fitness Ball Workout (I think). I came away feeling like all my muscles had been stretched and elongated and I feel really good. I think flexibility is such an important part of fitness and will definitely help us live better and more quality lives as we get older.

Good luck!
    michele
  • kellya
    kellya Posts: 208
    Options
    Hi ~

I have a very old Denise Austin vcr tape. It is non-aerobic, but stretches and tones. I purchased it back in 1995.....I love it, and it does my entire body from head to toe. I think pilates, yoga are very good for stretching.....and you can probably create your own routine with a bunch of floor and standing exercises. Nothing feels better than a good stretch that helps with being more and more flexible! GOOD LUCK!
  • kellya
    kellya Posts: 208
    Options
    yes, ditto what micheleg7 said about elongating the muscles....makes you look leaner, toner...slims the body DEFINATELY!!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Yoga's good for flexability.

Then again, just by doing my 5 minute stretch before and after workouts, I have gained about 15% flexability as well. basic stuff, hami stretches, calf stretches, hip flexor stretches, shoulder stretches, back stretches, nothing crazy. But I can now put the palms of my hands on the ground with my feet together, where as before I couldn't even grab my ankles without bending my knees. Course this is over about 8 months of stretching but...
  • areay
    areay Posts: 463
    Options
    Pilates, Yoga, and PiYo are all great for flexiblity, core stregnth, and holding your own body weight
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Yoga's good for flexability.

Then again, just by doing my 5 minute stretch before and after workouts, I have gained about 15% flexability as well. basic stuff, hami stretches, calf stretches, hip flexor stretches, shoulder stretches, back stretches, nothing crazy. But I can now put the palms of my hands on the ground with my feet together, where as before I couldn't even grab my ankles without bending my knees. Course this is over about 8 months of stretching but...

YEAHHH for YOGA!! it's one of the best ways to enhance flexibility. Add hot yoga in there, and you're smokin! :smokin:
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I own a Yoga Zone DVD. Stretching for Flexibility. It's only 20 minutes long and awesome and includes two different work outs. I was only doing it 2 days a week and was bendy in no time!
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Yoga all the way.. So simple yoga positions before or after your workouts...
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Another Yogi here!! :drinker:

Love it!!! It improves my flexibility, core strength and posture!! :love:
  • GameOver
    GameOver Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Pilates, Yoga, and PiYo are all great for flexiblity, core stregnth, and holding your own body weight

Is PiYo a combination of Pilates and Yoga? I've never heard of that before.

I didn't know if stretching just before and after a workout was enough to really become flexible. I guess because I don't get all sweaty from stretching like I do w/cardio, I feel like I am not doing enough or it's not working.