LOOSE

Options
i am frustrated at people always using "loose" when referring to losing weight.

I am not generally a grammar police kinda person, I can decipher nearly all terrible spelling and try not to judge.

This one, though, just makes me my head explode.

Perhaps this will help:

Lose: used in the opposite situation as gain.
You lose weight.
You are losing weight.

Loose: used in the opposite situation as tight.
Your pants are loose because you lost some weight.

I just needed to vent.

/rant

Replies

• FitnessElle
    Options
    "Your" and "you're" are often misused too; not to mention the slaughtering of "their", "there", and "they're".

:sad:
  • suzi67
    suzi67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    If you search this topic, you will see I had the same rant about a year ago, so I feel your pain. I called it my inner english teacher coming out.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    If you search the forums here for "loose lose" you'll see well over 50 posts just like this....
  • RocketsGirl75
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

:drinker:
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Agree!
  • melbaby925
    Options
    Ha! I saw the title of the post and immediately thought: Someone else who is referring to losing and not being loose.

Also...why, when we have spell check on most text areas on this site, can people not right click and correct a misspelled word? Not that hard.

Thanks for giving me a laugh before bed. So completely with you on this one!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I got an entire thread deleted about this once, so I will just say this:

This is not a grammar site. It's not an education site. It's not a MENSA site.

Play nice, give people a break. Not everyone is as educated as the next. Save your spelling and grammar rants for another place. Here, we uplift and motivate those that need it.
  • SimplyDeLish
    Options
    Don't forget that many on here are not native English speakers...lighten up! Your rant just shows intolerance not support.
  • mizzvron
    Options
    OMG I was having the same frustration yesterday. I saw three friends post they wanted to "loose" weight and I cringed! Thinking did we graduate together? How soon we forget.
  • flyhigh02
    Options
    Relax people, enough with the english lessons! How about some diet advise???
  • NightSox
    NightSox Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Play nice, give people a break. Not everyone is as educated as the next. Save your spelling and grammar rants for another place. Here, we uplift and motivate those that need it.
    Thanks to the OP. Using the correct word from elementary vocabulary isn't a MENSA level issue. To ridicule is uncalled for, but to educate... I consider it a public service.
  • 1_up
    1_up Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I was told that I'm a friend *kitten* so that makes me very "Loose"
    I'd like to lose 5 lbs
  • R4z0r4Mm0
    Options
    I got an entire thread deleted about this once, so I will just say this:

We'll said wbgolden! Leave every1 else a loan, theres' a ESL forum only a cupple of clicks away were you can offer you're help.

MFP friend's knead you're support, regardless of grammer and spellin.
  • Purple_Lurple
    Purple_Lurple Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Just as a side note, though I agree people should *try* and use the correct spelling and grammar on a public forum, I have to agree that you need to "give people a break". I'm severely dyslexic so have real trouble spelling, especially words with double letters. It's not lazyness of trying to learn to spell (or read properly for that matter), my brain just *will not* construct letters properly.
    I access this site on my phone, so don't have the integrated spell check option, so I'm sure many others don't too (and maybe feel why waste time on spell checking on a site that is here to support you, rather than criticise you)
    -km lucky that I have an auto spell-checker on my phone, and have learnt to avoid using words I can't spell, but others may not. So yes, it can be annoying, but sometimes there is a reason behind it, and sometimes the grammar police are much more annoying than the little miss-spelled word in the middle of a post...

*edit* being a bad speller does in no way make you uneducated, as some people seem to be suggesting. Just because we can't spell the subject matter, doesn't mean we can't be an expert in it!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    *edit* being a bad speller does in no way make you uneducated, as some people seem to be suggesting. Just because we can't spell the subject matter, doesn't mean we can't be an expert in it!

If this was pointed at me, I apologize. Not my intent at all!
  • leilani♥
    Options
    lose-loose-english-usage.jpg
  • CSelf1
    CSelf1 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I was told that I'm a friend *kitten* so that makes me very "Loose"
    I'd like to lose 5 lbs

I think you are going to lose the screws in your head because they are loose
  • NightSox
    Options
    Just because we can't spell the subject matter, doesn't mean we can't be an expert in it!

While I respect people's efforts to learn and improve from repeated exposure to correct word use and spelling, you've certainly made a great point here.
  • NightSox
    Options
    lose-loose-english-usage.jpg
    Wow. Two errors (arguably 4) in only 15 words, and the sign wasn't created through a cell phone. How does that happen?!?!
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options

We'll said wbgolden! Leave every1 else a loan, theres' a ESL forum only a cupple of clicks away were you can offer you're help.

MFP friend's knead you're support, regardless of grammer and spellin.

Well*, everyone*, alone*, there's*, an*, couple*, where*, your*, friends*, need*, your*, grammar*, spelling*

:D