Body Bugg!

Options
Does anyone have a bodybugg? If you do how do you like it?

Replies

• GrandmaJody
    GrandmaJody Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Gspice3
    Gspice3 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    What is that?
  • felicityksr
    felicityksr Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I don't have one, but I do know there is a monthly subscription for the service. That is why I decided against it. I decided a Polar HRM would work for me as it lets me know how many calories I have burned and at what percentage of my target heart rate I have achieved during the workout., It even downloads it to the PolarFit website.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I've played with them before. Pretty neat device. I don't get into tracking energy expenditure for myself. If I did though, I'd probably pick one up. Just note that they can be quite inaccurate.
  • Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I have a Bodybugg and I love it! I love knowing exactly how much I am burning and can adjust my daily calorie intake accordingly.

Now there is no worry of over estimating my calorie burn during a specific work out, or worrying about not getting enough nourishment.

LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

If you purchase it new, it comes with a 6 month subscription to the web site included. After that it's $9.95 a month or $59 (?) for a 6 month subscription. My weight loss accelerated from about a half a pound a week to 2 - 3 pounds a week after using mine.

I recommend it to everyone!!!

God bless!
  • Michelle_M2002
    Options
    I've played with them before. Pretty neat device. I don't get into tracking energy expenditure for myself. If I did though, I'd probably pick one up. Just note that they can be quite inaccurate.

Everything I have read states that they are about 90% accurate.

God bless!
  • LivLauLuv
    Options
    I have one and I love mine!! It tells you how many calories you are burning, how many minutes you've done in moderate activity and vigorous activity (that is my favorite part), steps taken and your sleep efficiency. It can actually tell if when you are just resting or if you are actually sleeping. I don't sleep with mine often but I have slept with it and out of 8 hours of sleep I probably get like 6 hours. I like that it tracks your activity levels. Most people over estimate theirs. They don't consider the warm up and cool down when exercising. It's a great way to calculate calories in and calories out.

You do have to pay a monthly subcription for it I pay $6.95 per month but it is worth it. Along with the subcription comes their own food database where you can track your meals and your activity level and much more. The device is expensive but it's worth the investment.
  • Michelle_M2002
    Options
    What is that?

It is a device that you wear on your left arm. It measures your temp and your pulse rate and then translates the data into numbers, giving you your calorie burn for the day. It is 90% accurate. It also has pedometer that will tell you how many steps you have taken.

You can buy one and just plug it into your computer to upload the data. If you buy the V2, you can also buy a digital display that you wear on your wrist like a watch, so you can check your real time stats. Or you can buy the SP version, which will sync with your smart phone when the app is downloaded to it.

You also log your food into the program, either on your computer or through your phone app. Then the app will show you your calorie burn, your calorie intake, the deficit between them. It will show you the goals you set for burn and intake, and tell you how much more to burn/eat to hit your goals. It will show you your goal for steps taken, actual steps taken, and the deficit between them. It will also show you how many minutes out of the day you were considered to be active.

If you purchase the system new, it will come with a 6 month subscription to the web program. After that it's $6.95 a month or $59 for 6 months.

It really is a great product. As I said in my previous post, my weight loss went from about half a pound a week to two to three pounds a week, due to the fact that it takes all the guessing out of it.

I find it also helps me to be more active, because I have a goal to reach, and can see where I am at any point in the day.

God bless!
  • Michelle_M2002
    Options
    I have one and I love mine!! It tells you how many calories you are burning, how many minutes you've done in moderate activity and vigorous activity (that is my favorite part), steps taken and your sleep efficiency. It can actually tell if when you are just resting or if you are actually sleeping. I don't sleep with mine often but I have slept with it and out of 8 hours of sleep I probably get like 6 hours. I like that it tracks your activity levels. Most people over estimate theirs. They don't consider the warm up and cool down when exercising. It's a great way to calculate calories in and calories out.

You do have to pay a monthly subcription for it I pay $6.95 per month but it is worth it. Along with the subcription comes their own food database where you can track your meals and your activity level and much more. The device is expensive but it's worth the investment.

EXACTLY.... It's an INVESTMENT in your health. And yes.. TOTALLY worth it!!! I wish I could buy one for every member of my family who has a fitness/health goal!!!

God bless!
  • stroutman81
    Options

God bless!

Care to elaborate in terms of what you're reading?

I'm looking at the actual scientific literature that has examined the device.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20386334

What this paper shows is that these devices are reasonably accurate across groups of people. That doesn't imply that it's accurate at the individual level though. If you dig into this paper, for some of the subjects, the prediction of the arm band was off by as much as ~ 500-700 calories below or above actual energy expenditure.

Let's not forget that these devices are predicting energy expenditure. They're not measuring. Which is always going to lead to odd statistical outliers where there's a large inaccuracy in some cases.

Mind you, I'm not knocking the device. Like I said, if I cared enough to monitor my expenditure, I'd likely purchase one.
  • Michelle_M2002
    Options

God bless!

What this paper shows is that these devices are reasonably accurate across groups of people. That doesn't imply that it's accurate at the individual level though. If you dig into this paper, for some of the subjects, the prediction of the arm band was off by as much as ~ 500-700 calories below or above actual energy expenditure.

Let's not forget that these devices are predicting energy expenditure. They're not measuring. Which is always going to lead to odd statistical outliers where there's a large inaccuracy in some cases.

Mind you, I'm not knocking the device. Like I said, if I cared enough to monitor my expenditure, I'd likely purchase one.

I'll have to go back and find it, I'll look for it tomorrow for you.

But as I said previously... I went from loosing half a pound a week to loosing 2-3 pounds a week.. so for me, it works, and I love it.

God bless!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Hadn't read that study.

I have a bodymedia fit and have found it to be fairly accurate for me compared to my BMR + TDEE estimates. Somedays it seems to be a fair bit off but generally pretty close. I just like my gadgets though :tongue:
  • stroutman81
    Options

God bless!

But as I said previously... I went from loosing half a pound a week to loosing 2-3 pounds a week.. so for me, it works, and I love it.

God bless!

That's fine and dandy, but that says nothing about what I explained or what the research shows.

And I realize that line sounds snippy as heck and I promise that's not my intention. I just want people to have the facts. For some people it will work really really well. For others, it can be way off.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Interesting. Hadn't read that study.

I have a bodymedia fit and have found it to be fairly accurate for me compared to my BMR + TDEE estimates. Somedays it seems to be a fair bit off but generally pretty close. I just like my gadgets though :tongue:

Based on the aforementioned paper, roughly 80% of people will fall into the 300 +/- range... meaning they'll be within 300 cals of actual expenditure.
  • Jess5825
    Options
    I have the body media fit. I got it 3 weeks ago and I love it so far. It is giving me great data and I'm changing up my calories and stuff to go with it. I'm already losing more weight with it, and I'm challenging myself to do more and burn more calories.
  • Michelle_M2002
    Options

God bless!

God bless!

That's fine and dandy, but that says nothing about what I explained or what the research shows.

And I realize that line sounds snippy as heck and I promise that's not my intention. I just want people to have the facts. For some people it will work really really well. For others, it can be way off.

I didn't read into it as being snippy at all. :)
    And I totally understand what you are saying. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones that it's pretty close on.

God bless!