I guess I'm doing it the wrong way, huh?

Options
I read that most if not all of you, are trying to eat healthy and count your calories too.
Well what I've been doing, is eating anything I want with in my calorie limit.
If I want fast food, I'll have fast food... always not going over my calories,
and even though I've been doing it this way for the last 5 weeks... I've lost 9 lbs.
What should I do? can I keep going this way... or not?
I cook Mexican food all the time... only Saturdays I don't cook...
I try to cook as healthy as possible but I have to say... sometimes it's hard :cry:

Replies

• 1sweet_dreamer
    Options
    I read that most if not all of you, are trying to eat healthy and count your calories too.
    and even though I've been doing it this way for the last 5 weeks... I've lost 9 lbs.
    I try to cook as healthy as possible but I have to say... sometimes it's hard :cry:
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options

sure if you run a deficit, you'll lose weight, but it doesn't mean that you'll be healthy. All that fat, clogs arteries, you open yourself up to a host of problems. Just because you can eat it, doesn't necessarily mean that you should. Be kind to your body, it's the only one you'll ever get.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    well, calories in vs calories out is a start, but it will only get you so far. At a certain point this strategy starts to break down. Another reason why we stress healthy nutrition (besides the obvious health benefits) is this technique takes will power, and will power is important to maintaining a healthy body. If you don't practice your will over food, eventually your base instincts will win. That's my opinion anyway.

Plus you have SO much more energy when you give your body the right foods.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    well actually the way you're doing it is how a lot of us started out. We ate what we normally ate, but in smaller portions to make it fit into our day. As you continue with this, you'll discover tip sand tricks that will help you make your meals healthier. For example if you make mexican food a lot, try having whole wheat tortillas instead of white. And you can choose cheese with less fat. Maybe have a side salad instead of rice or bake ingredients instead of frying. :flowerforyou:

You're not doing it "wrong" you're juststarting out, and this is very learn as you go. :drinker:
  • 1sweet_dreamer
    Options

sure if you run a deficit, you'll lose weight, but it doesn't mean that you'll be healthy. All that fat, clogs arteries, you open yourself up to a host of problems. Just because you can eat it, doesn't necessarily mean that you should. Be kind to your body, it's the only one you'll ever get.

:sad: Thank You... I also need to check my cholesterol, last time I checked it it was 210
  • 1sweet_dreamer
    Options
    well, calories in vs calories out is a start, but it will only get you so far. At a certain point this strategy starts to break down. Another reason why we stress healthy nutrition (besides the obvious health benefits) is this technique takes will power, and will power is important to maintaining a healthy body. If you don't practice your will over food, eventually your base instincts will win. That's my opinion anyway.

That's what I've been struggling all my life... having the will power to eat the right way...
    gosh... I'm so upset right now. Not having that will power it's killing me.
  • 1sweet_dreamer
    Options
    well actually the way you're doing it is how a lot of us started out. We ate what we normally ate, but in smaller portions to make it fit into our day. As you continue with this, you'll discover tip sand tricks that will help you make your meals healthier. For example if you make mexican food a lot, try having whole wheat tortillas instead of white. And you can choose cheese with less fat. Maybe have a side salad instead of rice or bake ingredients instead of frying. :flowerforyou:

You're not doing it "wrong" you're juststarting out, and this is very learn as you go. :drinker:

I've been reading a lot of the posts here... and yes, you are right... I used to eat white bread and now I only have wheat bread... I guess as I learn more I will eventually change the things I eat, to healthy ones.
    You gave me great ideas... I appreciate it. :flowerforyou:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

I think you have to ask yourself are you aiming for overall health meaning low cholesterol less risk of heart attack and so on...or are you seeking a quick fix to just shed pounds. If its overall health I do not think fast food on a reg basis is a good thing nor is just eating what you want..you have to remember food is fuel...its only because of our upbringings that we see it as pleasure and have emotional attachments to it such as using it for rewards...If your seeking a quick fix and not concerned aboout what it may or may not be doing inside then my answer would be yes you can eat like you are and probably continue to lose weight as long as you create a deficit....,Good luck in your journey:flowerforyou:
  • Mommy2Girls
    Mommy2Girls Posts: 100
    Options
    I know for me I am on a 1200cal intake, a fast food (McD's for instance) meal is about 700+cal, only leaving me 500cal left for breakfast, lunch and snacks....There is no way I would not be hungry, so not only are you eating crappy foods but you are also not eating proper meals nor are you allowing room throughout your day for snacks.

I would definitely start cutting out the fast food and start making some healthier choices. If you like to cook Meixcan then do so, search for some healthy meal ideas and go with it. Kraft.ca has some greta meal ideas that are healthy and easy.
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

Like another poster said, when I first came here I couldn't comprehend giving up some of my fav foods and try to limit what I ate, but hitting my cal allotment for the day
    I think as u get more into this, your eating habits will change more and you will gravitate towards healthier foods (but still have splurge foods now and then)

Kim
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

That's what I've been struggling all my life... having the will power to eat the right way...
    gosh... I'm so upset right now. Not having that will power it's killing me.

you have the will power i think everyone does the problem is you need to write down the reasons you wish to be healthy ..for me it was simply enjoying life on earth and wanting it to last and not have so many ailments along the way....try writing down your goals
  • clairegl
    clairegl Posts: 82
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on losing 9 pounds, great job! Secondly, do not beat yourself up. You are doing this exactly the way you should, little steps at a time, don't overwhelm yourself by taking it all on at once- a recipe for failure.
    That being said, look at it from a different perspective, think how much more food you can eat if you start tweaking your diet towards healthier foods.
    I used to do what you're doing the last time I tried this and found that when I eat certain foods, I have trouble stopping as they are "triggers" so I eat them every once in a while vs. daily. I just read everything that I can regarding health and nutrition and try to implement what I can when I can. But don't look at it in an all or nothing sort of way because you want to make this a part of your life. Be nice to yourself! One book I found particularly helpful was "The Complete Beck Diet For Life" if you can I recommend you buy it or get it from your library as it helps with cognitive behavioral therapy (tricks you can train yourself with to learn new habits).
    At any rate, good luck and keep going.
    Claire
  • sassyredgirl
    sassyredgirl Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I want to live longer and healthier so thats why im doing it plus i like to eat and one fast food meal kills my food for the day so no thanks once in awhile for the most i cook enough to bring something to work the next day for lunch much healthier. :wink:
  • thury
    thury Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Like it was mentioned before that is how almost everyone starts and it trains you to the most important things like portion control , counting calories, and paying attention to what you put in your mouth.
    From this point is a good moment to take another step, It is pretty easy to turn most mexican food a little healthier with things like mentioned before using whole wheat tortillas, fat free or 2% milk cheese, fat free sour cream. Also instead of beef use chicken or turkey. Just keep progressing at being able to find healthier alternatives to the ingredients you us.e
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

I agree.....I don't eat anywhere near as healthy as some people on the site, but since coming here almost a year ago I have cut out drinking pop on a regular basis, eating whenever and whatever I wanted, and not paying attention to portion control. If I bought lunch at work, I would typically switch between subway, wendys, taco bell, mcdonalds, or occasionally something else. Now I pretty much only eat subway, and if I do go to a fast food place it's for a salad. That's not to say I never eat fast food, but I've cut way way down....like to the point where I only get it if I am absolutely dying for it, or if my bf wants it and we don't have time/money for anything else.

I have also switched from white bread to wheat, from ground beef to ground turkey, from 1/2% milk to nonfat skim...I've never been much of a drinker but I used to have a beer here and then when out to eat, but I have cut that out almost entirely since I don't want to waste the calories.....etc. Could I eat healtheir? Sure, but looking at all of the changes I have made in the last year I think I am doing pretty good. So don't compare yourself to other people, just to your old self. Make improvements where you can, but ackknowledge the changes you have made.
  • 1sweet_dreamer
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on losing 9 pounds, great job! Secondly, do not beat yourself up. You are doing this exactly the way you should, little steps at a time, don't overwhelm yourself by taking it all on at once- a recipe for failure.
    That being said, look at it from a different perspective, think how much more food you can eat if you start tweaking your diet towards healthier foods.
    I used to do what you're doing the last time I tried this and found that when I eat certain foods, I have trouble stopping as they are "triggers" so I eat them every once in a while vs. daily. I just read everything that I can regarding health and nutrition and try to implement what I can when I can. But don't look at it in an all or nothing sort of way because you want to make this a part of your life. Be nice to yourself! One book I found particularly helpful was "The Complete Beck Diet For Life" if you can I recommend you buy it or get it from your library as it helps with cognitive behavioral therapy (tricks you can train yourself with to learn new habits).
    At any rate, good luck and keep going.
    Claire

Hi Claire, Thank you much... I will look for that book and promise to read it. God bless You! :drinker:
  • 1sweet_dreamer
    Options
    I agree.....I don't eat anywhere near as healthy as some people on the site, but since coming here almost a year ago I have cut out drinking pop on a regular basis, eating whenever and whatever I wanted, and not paying attention to portion control. If I bought lunch at work, I would typically switch between subway, wendys, taco bell, mcdonalds, or occasionally something else. Now I pretty much only eat subway, and if I do go to a fast food place it's for a salad. That's not to say I never eat fast food, but I've cut way way down....like to the point where I only get it if I am absolutely dying for it, or if my bf wants it and we don't have time/money for anything else.

I have also switched from white bread to wheat, from ground beef to ground turkey, from 1/2% milk to nonfat skim...I've never been much of a drinker but I used to have a beer here and then when out to eat, but I have cut that out almost entirely since I don't want to waste the calories.....etc. Could I eat healtheir? Sure, but looking at all of the changes I have made in the last year I think I am doing pretty good. So don't compare yourself to other people, just to your old self. Make improvements where you can, but ackknowledge the changes you have made.
    [/quote]

congratulations... You're doing great!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • 1sweet_dreamer
    Options
    Like it was mentioned before that is how almost everyone starts and it trains you to the most important things like portion control , counting calories, and paying attention to what you put in your mouth.
    From this point is a good moment to take another step, It is pretty easy to turn most mexican food a little healthier with things like mentioned before using whole wheat tortillas, fat free or 2% milk cheese, fat free sour cream. Also instead of beef use chicken or turkey. Just keep progressing at being able to find healthier alternatives to the ingredients you us.e

Thank You thury :flowerforyou:
  • 1sweet_dreamer
    Options
    I want to live longer and healthier so thats why im doing it plus i like to eat and one fast food meal kills my food for the day so no thanks once in awhile for the most i cook enough to bring something to work the next day for lunch much healthier. :wink:

I'm kinda lazy to bring lunch at work... but I've been doing it :wink: