Measuring inches?

When people post "Total of X amount of inches lost!" it sort of confuses me... :embarassed:

On my check-ins.. I only log my neck, arms, waist, hips and thighs.. Would I just add the total loss of all of these together?

And if it's two of something.. haha, like legs or arms... would you deduct that amount twice??

For example..

I've lost 1.5 inches from my neck :noway:
2 from my arms (each - ?? )
5 from my waist
6 from my hips
and 3.5 from my thighs (...lol.. each??)

I don't want to sound dumb but I really don't understand this part of it. It's so much easier to me in pounds. lol But I see why it's good to measure, also. Someone help me out with this?

And yeah, I seem to be losing it the slowest in my abdomen. :grumble:

Replies

• em1976
    em1976 Posts: 119 Member
    I do arms and thighs twice:Pwaist,butt,chest,belly and hips.Although i did measure my thighs individually once,one was bigger....cracked me up no end.Im cms though.

And yea,only just started losing my belly last few months after getting near my goal weight.

Also some of those measurements are impressive,well done.
  • TakeOne
    TakeOne Posts: 345 Member
    Yes, you add all of those inches together. So it sounds like you've lost 23.5 total inches. Congrats :)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    I measure in more places than you measured. When I post inches lost, it is the sum of all inches I have lost from all of my measurements. When it seems like you aren't making much progress, it is fun to go back a month or so and calculate the inches. It really gives a better look at progress than weight.
  • It just occurred to me that if I measured my chin, I don't know whether to count it twice or three times. :)
  • agartin
    agartin Posts: 274 Member
    It just occurred to me that if I measured my chin, I don't know whether to count it twice or three times. :)

:laugh:
  • agartin
    I measure in more places than you measured. When I post inches lost, it is the sum of all inches I have lost from all of my measurements. When it seems like you aren't making much progress, it is fun to go back a month or so and calculate the inches. It really gives a better look at progress than weight.

I only started measuring in the places that I want to lose from.

My upper arms, thighs (especially inner thighs), belly & hips, and neck... Ok, I pretty much had no neck when I was larger. haha. I have always had toned and defined lower legs due to playing soccer for years... and it seems that I'm bigger in the middle.. and have slim limbs. :grumble: .... so I just focused on where seeing a loss will make me happiest..
  • agartin
    Yes, you add all of those inches together. So it sounds like you've lost 23.5 total inches. Congrats :)

Thanks! I wish wish wish we could target fat burn though... I am starting to see my wrist and collar bones more and more.. but my belly and back fat are sticking to me like glue...
  • DreamyDancer5
    DreamyDancer5 Posts: 2 Member
    Ah, Mama G! I'm glad you posted this! I had no idea either! :) I would like to measure inches because I have always just went by what the scale says or how my clothes fit... Where can I get something to measure with? Would I use like a sewing measuring tape?
  • agartin
    Yep, that's what I use... got a little retractable one from walmart for like $1.. hahahah!