Protein Shakes....yes or no???

Options
I live in Australia and have tried doing the diet shake meal replacement diet in the past and it made me sick and i hated it and just put the weight back on again after i stopped. I have now lost 11 kg since being on MFP since June 16th 2011 buy just keeping within my calories (not using any shakes) and exercising. I still want to lose another 12-13 kg. Just wondering what the difference between protein shakes and diet replacement shakes. And if i decide to try one protein shake a day, any recommendations that anyone has brought (available in Australia) that has worked for them?

Replies

• kanonxbou47
    kanonxbou47 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes aren't meant to replace a whole meal. It's just to give you more protein.
  • kanonxbou47
    kanonxbou47 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes aren't meant to replace a whole meal. It's just to give you more protein.
  • njoithomp
    Options
    I love the products by Isagenix and they are available online so you can get them in Australia. The protein powder is thick and creamy even wen you mix it with only water.
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    You really only need protein shakes if you are not already getting enough protein in your diet
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I only use them on days that I exercise a lot (600+ cal burn) and know I will have trouble hitting my net for the day. I use a chocolate protein powder, non fat yogurt, organic pb and a banana. Not low cal at all, but that's the point. (for me anyway)
  • barbarabo
    Options
    I have tried numerous protein shakes with various results. Some of them gave me headaches, some of them didn't keep me full, some of them left me hungry, and some of them upset my stomach. I always had to stop them. Over the last month I have been using Herbal Life, which is available in Australia. I really like these and have learned to get creative with my flavors at home past the plain chocolate and vanilla. I feel full after them, no stomach upset--my gut seems to be better than normal since starting this product actually, no headaches. You can mix them with water or fat-free milk. I add fruit, or peanut butter to mine, and sometimes will add a teaspoon or two of fat-free sugar-free jello or pudding, or mix in a bit of sugar-free syrup like the ones used at Starbucks. Its been great. I have learned, though, I think this diet works for me because I am a milk and ice-cream lover anyway, so its like having a milkshake or smoothie everyday. I think this type of diet would be harder for someone who is not normally a milk drinker. I still get to eat a regular meal...which depending on my day may be lunch or dinner, and still get to snack on many foods I like to get my calorie and protein intake in for the day. Best of all I am already down about 13 pounds (6 kg) Good luck to you!
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I use protein shakes usually after a pretty good workout when I lift weights or do a circuit. Just to help the process of rebuilding muscle. I sometimes do it after a run, but not often.
  • campsallmel
    Options
    I've been using a Nutritional Supplement shake called Body By Vi thru Visalus. Its doing wonders for me. I lost 26 lbs and 27 inches my first 90 days on the product. I just began my 2nd challenge with them on Tuesday, coupled with this site and now implementing exercise, which I didn't do the first challenge. I love the taste of these shakes and even as a customer you have the ability to earn your shakes for free. I say that you are better off going with a nutritional supplement, the protein shakes might help you build muscle, maybe not lose weight.