Post Lockdown Reset

jrmurray1108
jrmurray1108 Posts: 6 Member
edited November 2020 in Introduce Yourself
Hi,

I’m jay, recently 40 and new to forums in general.

I came out of lockdown looking and feeling terrible, lost 2 businesses and gained as many stone lol.

Feeling blue and with time on my hands I’ve never had before I decided to use the opportunity to try and sort my physical self out and hope that would spirit my mental self along. Read many blogs, articles, watched videos etc about training, nutrition, diets, macros, cardio, weights that all pretty much contradict one another.... so I took what I could from them until I found what works for me.

So, I logged my first weight and picture at 14stone 6 on August 24th and almost 3 months on I have got myself to a more comfortable 12stone 8.

I nearly gave up a few times, I completely plateau’d for almost 3 weeks and had quite a few ‘snacksidents’ but persevered.

Final goal is around 11 stone so am a long way off but happy to share the ups and downs with anybody going through the same.

MFP has been brilliant help with the diary and completely changed my approach for the better.

I ache every day, I’m hungry and I really miss a lot of food I like! Also with a wonderfully British winter approaching I can add cold and wet to the list :smiley:

Is it worth it?... I hope so but am still on the fence, I also wonder how I will find the time to fit everything in when normality returns but, while I have the opportunity I’ll stick with it.

Will update the thread with my training and food plan soon for anybody interested, maybe it will help somebody looking for somewhere to start or at least offer a bit of inspiration.

ka93dnvsgx82.jpeg

Replies

• AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Wow what a difference!!! Way to go. Hopefully getting fit is giving you lots of happy endorphins and helping with feeling blue. It's been a tough to but we're on the home stretch
  • Katerr1kk
    Katerr1kk Posts: 81 Member
    Hi Jay you look great!

I'm sorry to hear you've had a tough time, I hope things improve for you.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    You are doing wonderfully well, and it's definitely worth it. Don't give up! 😊 🌟 👏
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Great job
  • Iggy585
    Iggy585 Posts: 104 Member
    Amazing job.

I'm on the same journey(M43), although I'm trying to get back to when my bodyfat was much lower.

I've done it before but it seems just as hard second time around. Very inspiring photos on what's possible in 3 months.
  • jrmurray1108
    Thanks for the kind comments all, all good mentally now, was short lived, I’m sure most Covid changed most peoples lives to varying degrees.

Iggy, also my second time around, the first when I hit 30 haha... pattern forming here? I was 28% in pic one and still 25% now, BMI 28>26. Feels like slow progress but progress nonetheless. I agree it feels much harder, seems age is against us, keep it up and you’ll smash it
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,511 Member
    Awesome transformation Jay ...Keep up the great work :)
  • Kel_7743
    Kel_7743 Posts: 25 Member
    You look great, Jay! 😊
  • Theotherwhiteclint
    Theotherwhiteclint Posts: 341 Member
    Incredible work dude
  • XLNC1981
    XLNC1981 Posts: 114 Member
    Mate that’s brilliant!! Very similar to my starting point... but you’ve done it quicker! 4 stones took me under 11 months but it’s staying off at maintenance. I’m currently hovering at 77kg and going lower is a struggle. I won’t attempt to drop further until after new year! Well done
  • Slb1210
    Slb1210 Posts: 17 Member
    You look incredible!
    You lost me at stone so I need to look that up 😂
    I’m sorry you had all of this ugly corona stuff thrown at you. Thing is, your determination will dominate any ill will that came over you and you are rising up. You got this!
    Now I need to go exercise more. Lol
  • jrmurray1108
    edited November 2020
    XLNC1981 wrote: »
    Mate that’s brilliant!! Very similar to my starting point... but you’ve done it quicker! 4 stones took me under 11 months but it’s staying off at maintenance. I’m currently hovering at 77kg and going lower is a struggle. I won’t attempt to drop further until after new year! Well done

Thanks mate, likewise, you’re not looking to shabby yourself, must have been some effort, fair play. I’d be happy to match your progress by June next year. Looks like Xmas is cancelled so there may be a chance :smiley:

Bodyfat % is the goal now, I’m surprised mine is still so high at 25 despite the drop in lbs, something new to me I’ve never really monitored, hoping it starts to come down a bit faster now I have my diet and training reigned in.

ozuhdz37wt1y.png
  • XLNC1981
    XLNC1981 Posts: 114 Member
    Remember the bio impedance scales aren’t wholly accurate but more of an indicator.

Obv you’ve done well to get where you are but I did low carb (for me) around 120 to 150 grams combined with much higher protein (yep it’s monotonous and boring) but it got my body fat down and muscle mass up.

Also try some fasted (early morning) hiit even if it’s a 5 min jog followed by 10 lots of all out 30-40 second sprints. Fat will come down providing food in check.

It can be done!
  • ZTT3388
    ZTT3388 Posts: 1 Member
    Awesome job!
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    You made the right choice; instead of wallowing you fixed something you CAN control. And age? What age? You look 15 years younger. I looked twice to make sure ;)