WTF am i doing?!

Options
So I really don't know what I'm doing. Initially I was counting calories to lose some weight. Now I don't have much more to lose, just a little fat - I don't necessarily want to lose "weight" I just want to get leaner. My understanding is that when you're restricting calories, your muscle suffers as well. I'm currently trying to build some muscle while getting leaner. And I'm not quite sure just how to go about this. I've been eating anywhere from 1200-1500 cals/day. I'm 5'8" 130 lbs. Please see my pics and any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Replies

• angelofmusic1
    Options
    Looking at your photo and your weight/height, I think you are fine where you are. If you want to build muscle maybe getting some professional advice on how to do that would be good?
  • lynnspittal
    Options
    Any additional exercise and movement will be an absolute bonus. Healthy eating and exercise is what leads to a sustainable life style. If you aim for weight bearign exercises (can you join a gym?) that helps to improve muscle qualtiy you increase4 your fitness and increase your base metabolic rate. The more muscle you have the greater amount of calories you require just to operate normally. This doesn't mean body building, it just means healthy muscle growth. A gym (or google) can show the right kind of exercise to increase your muscle strenght without building bulk. I hope this helps. You've done really well!
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    You might want to try to work your way up to maintenance calories. A sudden jump might make you start gaining. And focus more on strength, resistance, and core work outs to build muscle.

Use heavy / high resistance to build muscle. Use a lighter weight and more repetitions for tone.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Stop loosing weight. You need to work on muscle, and will need to gain in order to do it. It will totally be worth it, because people carry around eyes not scales.
    do a search around here for those people not looking to loose, but to tone up. Congrats on all your hard work so far!
  • Enforcer25
    Enforcer25 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss. You can google exercises for toning, there are plenty of routines. You will want to do reps in the 12-15 range since you are looking to tone up. Try some routines on your calorie intake and make small adjustments as needed until you find what works.
  • martinh78
    Options
    Well done on your weight loss, you look great!

I agree with the above, but if you don't want to join a gym then I see that you have Zuzana as one of your inspirations (me to, lol), I think the bodyrock programme is a good way to workout at home and develope tone.

Best of luck with it, and when you get as toned as Zuzana be sure to post another pic :o)
  • Kaecklund
    Kaecklund Posts: 191 Member
    Options

I agree with the above, but if you don't want to join a gym then I see that you have Zuzana as one of your inspirations (me to, lol), I think the bodyrock programme is a good way to workout at home and develope tone.

Best of luck with it, and when you get as toned as Zuzana be sure to post another pic :o)
    My goal is to get a little bulky like zuzana - not as much, as I don't think that is possible for me, but somewhat built. But I still have belly and leg fat that will hide any muscle I have. I suppose I should just keep doing what I'm doing, maybe eating more and working out more. One day I will be able to do one of her workouts, lol!
  • Kaecklund
    Kaecklund Posts: 191 Member
    Options

My goal is to get a little bulky like zuzana - not as much, as I don't think that is possible for me, but somewhat built. But I still have belly and leg fat that will hide any muscle I have. I suppose I should just keep doing what I'm doing, maybe eating more and working out more. One day I will be able to do one of her workouts, lol!
  • speedyme
    speedyme Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Start adding more protein to your diet as well. Every meal and snack should have some protein with it and definately after a work out to repair and build your muscles.