Is it weird...

Options
2»

Replies

• crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I met my ex when she was 18 (she told me she was 21...big clue here). I was 30. She was beautiful, intelligent, mature, reserved...and for the most part acted like she was in her late 20's. We were a perfect match immediately. 4mos later she moved in, shortly after that she told me she was pregnant...and 18.

Uhh...what?!

The best I can figure, she was terrified I was going to leave her when I found out her age...and knowing my beliefs on family, locked me in the best way she knew how. It worked...I loved her after all...and we spent the next two years pretty freakin happy. We had another son...and all was good.

Then, like a light switch...it ALL changed...and I've spent the last four years being cheated on, left, lied to, used, and all in all...wishing I were in hell instead.

The moral of the story? Don't make promises to the guy if you do date him. It's very easy to change your mind in your early 20's...and you'll both end up very, very hurt if you're not careful.

Anyhow, other than that, have fun! You're young, and its a time to make mistakes, and learn from them.

Just don't make them too big lol :).

Now that I'm home and can type on a PC...I'd like to clarify and say...I do believe it can work, even with larger age gaps...but it takes two exceptional people (particularly the younger of the couple), and you've got a lot going against you from the start. It's always something of a teacher/student relationship...as one young lady above said, he will have far more life experience than you do. Use it to your advantage, and not as a source of resentment (my ex HATED...and LOVED that I was almost always right...'sigh!)...and you'll do wonderfully.

Either way hun...good luck if you go through with it.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Um.............. yes. My neighbor is in her 40's and her (newly married) husband is in his 20's. She signs all her text messages "Eric's Cougar" and it totally creeps my the *F* out!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Um.............. yes. My neighbor is in her 40's and her (newly married) husband is in his 20's. She signs all her text messages "Eric's Cougar" and it totally creeps my the *F* out!

Oh man...that's just wrong on soooo many levels lol!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Since 20 year old can't drink legally, it'd be weird. But I met my husband when he was 29 and I was 21 (at a bar)...
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Since 20 year old can't drink legally, it'd be weird. But I met my husband when he was 29 and I was 21 (at a bar)...
    you can if your not from the USA. Most other countrys are 18
  • crystalslight
    crystalslight Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    My sister in-law's 20 and her husband is 29. They make a GREAT couple. He treats her like a queen. I also dated a guy when I was 17 he was 26. He called me jail bait. Luckily I was a good girl. So I did nothing he'd get put in jail for. Or at least that I'd admit to. Lol.
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    In the right context it can go both ways of weird and not depending on the people and the level of maturity and level of overly making a deal about it themselvs, my mom is 45 and just married a 25 year old 2 months ago.
  • ilovemyjacks
    Options
    I don't think it is weird. My husband is 9.5 years older than me. We started dating when I was 18 and he was 27. Now I am 31 and he is 40 and we are still super happy. Everyone is different. Do what feels right for you.
  • jp09m
    jp09m Posts: 89
    Options
    depends on the maturity level of the people you're talking about...
    i've dated guys my own age, 10'ish years younger, and 10'ish years older....in the end they were all a bunch of *kitten*
    age is just a number

can i take you on a date!? =D
  • ilovemyjacks
    Options
    depends on the maturity level of the people you're talking about...
    i've dated guys my own age, 10'ish years younger, and 10'ish years older....in the end they were all a bunch of *kitten*
    age is just a number

can i take you on a date!? =D
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
  • Lozzy_82
    Lozzy_82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Obviously it depends on the individuals, but I really don't think 10 years is a big deal.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    IMO, no. you're both adults. Some 20 year olds are a little more mature than the opposite gender...
  • kmshred
    kmshred Posts: 393 Member
    Options

haha!!
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person and where they are at in life. You will know right away if it is going to work. Sometimes there's nothing wrong with the person but a younger persons views on a lot of things are different than someone who has lived a little longer. Like I said it just depends on the person.