**Ladies Only** Handling Monthly Cravings

Options
How are you ladies handling the cravings for everything sweet and salty that come along with our monthly visits from Aunt Flow? I am trying to stay within my daily calorie allowance and want to make healthy choices, but I was hit by cravings even though I wasn't hungry. An apple or banana just isn't going to cut it. While I managed to stay within the confines of my diet, I wanted to eat EVERYTHING!! Any ideas for healthy snacks that will satisfy this overwhelming want of anything high calorie and diet busting would be greatly appreciated, so I can be better prepared next month. :)

Replies

• britterbrittney
    britterbrittney Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    i foresee someone who does not categorize as a lady posting on this. maybe.

but, if I crave something I always try to have a little or something similar that will suffice that craving. Otherwise I will binge.
  • Elmaunie
    Elmaunie Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I dunno.. I've been giving in, just trying to do extra exercise to bring the calories back down. I find exercise helps with the pmt and cramps anyway so it's win/win lol :)
  • Bellyroll
    Options
    I buy low fat options. So if I want somthing sweet or salty I have it around instead of eating something bad
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    The cravings occur because your metabolism does rev up briefly in the week leading up to day 1, and your body is signaling you that it wants more fuel. Women burn on average an extra 100 to 300 extra calories per day. You drop again once menstruation begins, and it is lower from the onset of menses until you ovulate, when it gradually starts building again.

So, if you go a couple of hundred over during the time when you're pre-menstrual, there isn't too much damage. I personally try to resist the cravings so that when I start and my water retention clears up, I experience a significant drop in weight.

As for how to resist, I chew gum, drink water, drink herbal tea etc. If I'm going crazy, I'll buy some 100 calorie treats and allow myself a little indulgence, with some dark chocolate if my calorie allowance has room for it. I do find that very flavorful fruit like strawberries is satisfying. As for the salty cravings, I can work with 'savory', and will add more seasonings to what I'm eating. It's also the period I'm most likely to break down and drink a diet soda.

I have also cut up a chocolate protein bar into bite-size pieces and just nibble on them over the course of the day. That works well for me too.
  • wickedkitty
    wickedkitty Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advise.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Honestly eat what your craving.. otherwise you will binge even more because your trying to suppress what you really want.
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Tattoos_and_Tea Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Meringue nests always hit the spot for me with its my TOTM. The Lee's nests are only 54 calories each. Delish!
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I've found that eating less sweets reduces my cravings for more sweets. That has been my saving grace over the past two months. Doesn't work for everyone though. Some people might end up going on a binge fest.
  • christinakaye76
    Options
    I dunno.. I've been giving in, just trying to do extra exercise to bring the calories back down. I find exercise helps with the pmt and cramps anyway so it's win/win lol :)

Same here... I give myself the treat ... but don't go crazy.. well not with food anyway =)
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I've found that eating less sweets reduces my cravings for more sweets. That has been my saving grace over the past two months. Doesn't work for everyone though. Some people might end up going on a binge fest.

Same here...been hitting the gym hard and had no cravings this last time around.

Occasionally I'll get the Smart Ones ice cream sundae's (peanut butter cup). They're pretty small and just enough to satisfy. Skinny Cow truffle bars are good too and only 100 calories.
  • mrivera713
    mrivera713 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I don't know when this started, or how. I use to crave a Coke AND a Snicker bar every month right before my period. Since I've changed my focus, I noticed that I am completely satisfied with one SINGLE peanut M&M and I fight the craving for Coca Cola. Not because it's "bad" food. More because I try to teach myself that I am in control. We can do this. Listen to our body but do so in moderation. I think I started training my body BEFORE that time of the month. Now it's easier.

Also, my diary is public. If you ever have a chance to look at it, I think it's obvious that during that time of the month, I am more apt to eat out of character. Hmmm... giggle. Actually, it USE to be the way I ate before refocusing my eating habits. BUT I do so in moderation. And I still keep losing weight.. OH And I forgot the most important part, feel like it or not, I DO NOT give up the gym during that time of the month! I don't care if it's the first day or the middle or the last, I go to the gym and/or workout!

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!! One day at a time, just keep pressing on!
  • Tegan74
    Tegan74 Posts: 202
    Options
    Last time I went an got 'I dont care how big I get I'm hungry an this is what I want food' ~ funny thing the only thing I could eat was the hot dog an that bothered my stomach. The chips an dip I didnt even eat. The chips tasted like nasty grease :/

My point is like they said, have some of something. My reasoning for that is I'm cranky enough without adding food cravings into the mix :p

I have every intention of repeating again this month if I have cravings :)

Nice to know my metabolism kicks up the few days before LOL