exercise in the dessert?

Options
just moved to a very hot and dry place where it get to 90 before 10am and tops between 110 to 120 by noon til 3pm... Just wondering what people do to work out in environments like this other than a gym that has AC (mostly because im poor).

So far iv been getting up before the sun does to go walking/running, buts its been making my days much longer than i would like.

Advice please?

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    just moved to a very hot and dry place where it get to 90 before 10am and tops between 110 to 120 by noon til 3pm... Just wondering what people do to work out in environments like this other than a gym that has AC (mostly because im poor).

So far iv been getting up before the sun does to go walking/running, buts its been making my days much longer than i would like.

Advice please?

I think the only option for outdoor exercise in that kind of weather is to be up early and enjoy the cooler hour or so T the beginning of the day. Summe here gets really hot too, I just have to rub early in the day.
    Or you could look around for a pool to swim, but you still can't do that at an outdoor pool in the middle of the day.
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    dang. I though this was going to be about food.

um, in the desert... I think early exercise is the best bet, or doing DVDs at home, although without airconditioning that is tough, too. If you start going to bed a bit earlier each night, the mornings won't seem so rough. I've started changing my schedule to get up at 5-6 and it no longer feels so awful. lol.
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Try some yoga during the day...inside out of the sun. The heat is great for it! I do a Hot Bikram Yoga Class where the room is heated to 40 degrees (104) and its great!! Lots of water though and electrolites to keep hydration levels up!
  • InaWarZone
    Options
    I have the same problem here in Afghanistan or home in Arizona lol

You are doing the right thing, early morning is the very best time. Remember, it will only be hot for a while longer and will cool down all fall. Even here or AZ in the winter you will need a coat as far as that goes.

Hang in there, my body also complains every single time I start working out... "it's too hot, I'm too sore, I just want to go back to taking it easy...."

Remember that the mind controls the body, so make your mind up, get up, and don't quit!
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Vegas here. The gym or on weekends up to the mountains to hike.
  • meeperoon
    meeperoon Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    dang. I though this was going to be about food.

I did too! I though you were going to ask whether you exercise just so you can have a chocolate brownie! lol sorry.

I live in England so I have 1 choice only, workout in the cold and drizzly! :)
  • InaWarZone
    Options
    Another thought.... check with your city or county parks department. Many have low to no cost facilities. Worth a look!
  • theome
    theome Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    sorry about my spelling, didn't catch that other s.