What are some good low calorie snacks?

I've found my biggest problem is I randomly feel hungry and have bad urges to snack. I usually really, really want something savory, although occasionally ill want sweets, but have about 400 calories left after all meals which I struggle not to go over in snacks. What are some good low calorie snacks that feel filling and satisfy a craving for sweet or savory?

Replies

• Rhumax67
    Rhumax67 Posts: 162 Member
    How about apples or peanut butter
  • MewzuriKittie
    MewzuriKittie Posts: 10 Member
    I do snack on apples alot but don't find them very filling and usually still end up grabbing an extra snack. I don't eat peanut butter at all though because I find it very difficult to swallow.
  • stephie_nyc
    stephie_nyc Posts: 96 Member
    Greek yogurt, cucumbers, a little wrap made with a low carb tortilla and a couple ounces of meat. I am going to stop because there are literally thousands of foods you could have. What do you like?
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    I find edamame to be very filling. I eat Seapoint dried edamame (comes in a few flavors) lots of days. Also like the in-pod frozen ones that are microwaved.

I also like Greek yogurt mixed with powdered peanut butter to dip apple slices in.

Pears plus hummus is good.

Or a small white or sweet potato microwaved with either Greek yogurt or hummus on top. Hummus comes in a lot of flavor options.
  • Soul_To_Squeeze
    Soul_To_Squeeze Posts: 29 Member
    Hi. I like lots of snacks during the day too. These are some I enjoy:

Babybel 62cal for the normal and 42cal for the lighter version and both have about 4 or 5g protein per a cheese which helps to keep me full.

Philadelphia on a small piece of toast with cucumber, red onions, tomato, pepper. Sometimes I add a slice of ham.

Cooked chicken with some kind of seasoning. Chicken is in a lot of my meals but sometimes I’ll have it on it’s own as a snack

Protein chocolate Alpen bar which are 128cals a bar I think. A small orange. A hand full of strawberries.

A current favourite dessert I enjoy which could also be a snack is a toasted waffle around 114cals with some frozen blueberries and a small scoop of Carte D’Or strawberry ice cream is around just under 200cals

If I’m not that hungry but still want something I usually go for a hot chocolate I pick one that’s around 100cals per cup

Individual bags of cookies and popcorn work for me, usually under 100cals. Sometimes work out slightly more expensive but I’d rather pay a bit more than end up eating whole big bag.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Raspberries, Blueberries and blackberries.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Individual serving (100-160 cals) chips, pretzels and popcorn. I don't like the excess packaging, but it helps my self control!
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 964 Member
    I like berries and raw nuts. I find a hot cup of flavored tea with snacks helpful. I also like Trader Joe's seed bread with a tablespoon of almond butter or 1/2 small avocado. Also a hard boiled egg with Monterey steak seasoning (sounds weird but the seasoning is good on eggs and vegetables). If it is sweets, dark chocolate. The more expensive the better to mentally not eat too much.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,403 Member
    Cottage cheese and fruit

Nonfat greek yogurt and sugar free pudding

Pumpkin purée mixed with sugar free vanilla pudding, water or yogurt and spices is like eating the center of a pumpkin pie.

Sugar free jello is negligible calories and filling to me

Sugar free lattes

Rolled pieces of deli chicken or turkey

Apple

Pickles if I’m really hungry and need quick filler

Carrots and radishes

Movie pack of Gobstoppers- one little hard candy is only about six calories and can last a long time.

Ginger chews

These little prosciutto and mozarella rolls are one of the best things I’ve ever eaten and are 125 calories per pack. The two-ingredient fig and almond cake is 100 calories for 1/6 of the cake.

xo8krkue58pk.jpeg
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Eggs, especially hard boiled (I like a runny yolk) with a little soy sauce. Umami flavor, protein, and low in calories.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    What kind of snack do you urge at that moment? Is it available in small portions that fit your calorie goal, maybe even twice per day. Maybe once after lunch and once as desert.
  • vaman
    vaman Posts: 253 Member
    lin_be wrote: »
    Eggs, especially hard boiled (I like a runny yolk) with a little soy sauce. Umami flavor, protein, and low in calories.

I agree, hard boiled eggs make a great, quick snack.Six grams of protein and about 70 calories for a large egg.

• wilson10102018
    Stove top popcorn. Pam instead of oil. Use powdered salt, it is the only thing that sticks without oil. About half the calories of bagged popcorn.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    Cottage cheese and fruit

Nonfat greek yogurt and sugar free pudding

Pumpkin purée mixed with sugar free vanilla pudding, water or yogurt and spices is like eating the center of a pumpkin pie.

Sugar free jello is negligible calories and filling to me

Sugar free lattes

Rolled pieces of deli chicken or turkey

Apple

Pickles if I’m really hungry and need quick filler

Carrots and radishes

Movie pack of Gobstoppers- one little hard candy is only about six calories and can last a long time.

Ginger chews

These little prosciutto and mozarella rolls are one of the best things I’ve ever eaten and are 125 calories per pack. The two-ingredient fig and almond cake is 100 calories for 1/6 of the cake.

xo8krkue58pk.jpeg

Oooooo I've seen that Panino thing at the gas station when I get my soda and was tempted but couldn't read the tiny numbers on the label for the calorie count. Not bad at all!
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    For snacks I try to avoid carbs because they do not satisfy me. I really like tuna pouches, protein bars, greek yogurt, beef sticks
  • MeganD1704
    MeganD1704 Posts: 733 Member
    edited November 2020
    Savory- brown bag popcorn (you buy the kernels and pop in microwave in a brown lunch bag) with sea salt, meat stick, baby bel, pepper cut into strips with garlic and herb cream cheese and a splash of everything but the bagel seasoning.

Sweet- grapes rolled in sugar free green jello packet (tastes to me like a sour patch kid), M and M Food Markets Variety pack brownies (180 cals for a brownie that is so good when you need the real deal), apple nachos (cut up an apple and drizzle with a tbsp of melted peanut butter and a tbsp of choc chips (if you like crunch sub in granola clusters)), halo top icecream. If I need a protein boost- greek yogurt plain or vanilla mixed with a flavored protein powder.
  • Rox4191
    Rox4191 Posts: 7 Member
    My go-to after work snack is pickle spears with a dollop of dijon mustard, wrapped in a thin slice of ham or turkey lunchmeat. Two of those rolls equal 30 calories (depending on the brand, of course) and the strong flavors make me feel like I ate more than I did. Obviously that only works if you like pickles and don't mind the sodium.

Also air popped popcorn with a misto spritz of olive oil and a sprinkle of ranch seasoning is really good
  • wilson10102018
    senalay788 wrote: »
    Stove top popcorn. Pam instead of oil. Use powdered salt, it is the only thing that sticks without oil. About half the calories of bagged popcorn.

Skip all that and do it in the microwave. No oil needed.

Salt does not stick to the microwave prepared popcorn. If it does, it is from chemicals from your paper bags. And, Pam has zero calories per spray.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    senalay788 wrote: »

Skip all that and do it in the microwave. No oil needed.

Salt does not stick to the microwave prepared popcorn. If it does, it is from chemicals from your paper bags. And, Pam has zero calories per spray.

Which is like a quarter of a second. :)