post-exercise routine at gym

Options
For those who have a gym with sauna, swimming pool, jacuzzi, cold bath and hammam, what sort of "routine" do you use to relax after your workout? What benefits do you get from it?
Today I did 7 minutes in the sauna, then cold bath for a minute, then 10 minutes in the sauna, 1 minute cold bath, then jacuzzi for 10 minutes. I felt great but are there actually any health benefits?

Replies

• jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I take a 10-15 minute steam every day after I work out. I honestly don't know if there are any health benefits but I love the warmth, the relaxation, and while I don't meditate, gives me a chance to be alone with my thoughts in a truly calm environment. Regardless of the scientific benefit - it feels great and helps me reduce stress so for me that's all the health benefit I need.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i hate the sauna. i always seem to walk in when its empty, and then all these old men walk in. every last one of them just sits there naked and tries to have a conversation with me!!!
  • EatWholeFoods
    EatWholeFoods Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Sauna may help you get rid of bloating and water weight, but it can be bad for your heart if you get dehydrated. I also don't like the idea that some people sit in there naked and sweat lol.
  • lexgem
    lexgem Posts: 163
    Options
    At my gym swimsuits are required in all areas and there are seperate men & women saunas (same steamroom but you can hardly see through the steam anyway).
    So it cuts down on the awkwardness :)
  • InaWarZone
    Options
    I would say if it makes your workout time more pleasant, then you will be more apt to stay with it.

So... yes, it does have a benefit... sounds great too :-)
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I also don't like the idea that some people sit in there naked and sweat lol.

That's pretty much the whole point! :laugh:

I love sauna and am happy to have one at the gym. It's also close to where I work, so I often go just to bathe after work. Saves some money too, since I don't often need to warm my own sauna anymore because of it. :smile:

Public saunas are also better, because you get to socialize too.

That's the finnish sauna-culture. :smile:
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    At my gym swimsuits are required in all areas and there are seperate men & women saunas (same steamroom but you can hardly see through the steam anyway).
    So it cuts down on the awkwardness :)

Also in bathing areas that are only for men or women?

Sounds horribly uncomfortable and impractical!

I have heard that in some countries people can be pretty reserved about getting naked in front of other people, but it's still hard to understand.

In swimming halls here, people are always forbidden to wear swimsuits in sauna because the chemicals, that they use to keep the pool water clean, vaporize and become toxic gasses in the hot room.

The rule is to wear swimsuits in public saunas that are for both sexes, but steam saunas in spas and swimming halls are different. You don't see anything anyway, so it doesn't really matter either.