High blood sugar on keto???

Options
Ive been following a keto diet for a few weeks now. For whatever reason even eating low carb is making my blood sugar high.

Example: only had 38g carbs total today, but my pre dinner reading was 206.

Is this the body adjusting, or does a damaged liver come into play here???

Replies

• fdoosey
    fdoosey Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm a Type 2. It's not exceedingly high in the morning...usually normal to 140 or so. Ill check in a bit as its not quite 2 hours yet to see where I stand. Luckily I'm not insulin dependent. But with a bad liver, that may or may not change down the road.

I did send a message to my endocrinologist to see what they think, it'll be interesting.

The last time I lost weight I got to the point I didn't even need meds. Falling off the wagon was tough. Back on it, though...gotta do it for my kids if nothing else.

Its a real head scratcher for sure.
  • fdoosey
    Options
    Well, 2 hours after eating its 213. Dinner was chicken breast in a parmesan sauce (home made, no sugar) with a lot of Tuscan kale. No pasta, no rice. Ill play it by ear in the morning i guess and see what my doctor replies with.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    fdoosey wrote: »
    Yes, I'm a Type 2. It's not exceedingly high in the morning...usually normal to 140 or so. Ill check in a bit as its not quite 2 hours yet to see where I stand. Luckily I'm not insulin dependent. But with a bad liver, that may or may not change down the road.

I did send a message to my endocrinologist to see what they think, it'll be interesting.

The last time I lost weight I got to the point I didn't even need meds. Falling off the wagon was tough. Back on it, though...gotta do it for my kids if nothing else.

Its a real head scratcher for sure.

Are you following a specific medical keto for type 2 diabetic? Bc it is different than typical keto. I also might be doing this with a nutritionist and dr advice.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Well, 2 hours after eating its 213. Dinner was chicken breast in a parmesan sauce (home made, no sugar) with a lot of Tuscan kale. No pasta, no rice. Ill play it by ear in the morning i guess and see what my doctor replies with.

Dairy does have its own type of sugar and maybe it’s the Parmesan. However different foods affect us differently
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Definitely see what your doctor says, OP. That's frustrating.
  • fdoosey
    Options
    I did email my doctor and she said what I had read: the liver also produces glucose. I'm not on any tweaked version of keto, but I did read that blood sugar levels can go up as the body acclamates to keto.

Doc suggests either the pancreas isn't working right, or i need a new or more medication. Ill bring up what I read, though.
  • fdoosey
    Options
    Got it more or less under control now. Stupid little things.. parsnips, i forgot, are starchy. While better than sweets it still messes with things. Having far more leafy greens helped. I just have to prevent salads from getting boring.
  • mariomicro
    mariomicro Posts: 74 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    @fdoosey, this is a common occurrence on keto when you are not fully fat adapted yet. It's called benign insulin resistance or something like that [edit: benevolent pseudo-diabetes]. I saved a medical study somewhere but I can't find it and I'm in a hurry. If you give me 24/48 hours I will post the link.
  • fdoosey
    Options
    I'm curious as to who disagreed and why. There's a lot of info out there which contradicts pretty much any opinion.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    I don't see any disagrees on your posts, but often people hit the button on accident -- apparently it's easy to do on the app.
  • mariomicro
    mariomicro Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as to who disagreed and why. There's a lot of info out there which contradicts pretty much any opinion.

They'll never come out because they're cowards and they have no arguments to counteract scientific evidence.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I am not one of the disagrees, but the linked article doesn’t say that dangerously high bg is a normal part of keto adaptation.

Any bg over 150 is doing neurological damage AT THAT MOMENT. Our bodies can take a lot but over the long term that leads to impotence, neuropathy in hands and feet, heart problems, and amputations. Going on a special diet to have dangerously high bg seems counterproductive.

@fdoosey fasting glucose over 130 is higher than even the ADAs very flexible recommendation. I’m thinking you do have some dawn phenomenon. Are you on metformin?
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    I am not one of the disagrees, but the linked article doesn’t say that dangerously high bg is a normal part of keto adaptation.

This is true -- although the article doesn't read as a very scientific one to me. What it seems to be referring to is the well-known fact that eating a very low carb diet can cause temporary insulin resistance even in those who would not ordinarily have insulin resistance. This does not mean that they have high bg while eating keto, but that as soon as they eat more carbs they react as if they have IR. In a healthy person this goes away quickly once the body adjusts to more carbs again.

If high bg continues while eating keto, that would not be something to dismiss as normal, but to talk to your doctor about (as you have, OP, and I would say definitely keep in touch with the doctor if high readings continue).
  • fdoosey
    Options
    I'm on metformin but I'm learning that it's more what I'm eating. Example, this morning my fasting BG was 97. Keeping it low carb today and we'll see what happens.

More leafy greens and non starchy veggies seem to be the thing.