Is it possible to grow gluteus without lifting weight?

I'm doing body weight at home for 4 months. I'm doing alllll I could find on YouTube 5 times per week 1 hour per day. Squeezeng and squeezing. Changes are microscopical 🙄

Replies

• cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    You need resistance.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Are you choosing progressively move difficult exercises?
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    The maximum muscle mass you could gain in a month is 1 lb. and that is assuming you are

A) not eating in a deficit (you can gain muscle in a deficit, but highly doubtful you would make max gains doing so)
    B) eat sufficient protein
    C) follow some sort of progressive workout routine (not knowing what YouTube videos you’ve selected, we don’t know if you are doing that already or not)
    D) generally to build muscle you want to be in the 8-12 rep range (12-15 is endurance and 4-8 is strength). Not saying you won’t do some combination of all of those with any program, but we’re talking about “optimal” here to see best results. And I say “generally” because just like with anything else, everyone is an individual and different people will get best results with different methods.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Stand on a kitchen chair. Step down slowly with one leg. Once your heel gently touches the ground (heel first) stand back up. On the down motion use your quads to control decent speed. On ascent drive your glutes forward and stretch your head upwards not forwards. Use the back of the chair as a balance assist.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Make a DIY Kettlebell and do a lot of swings.

https://www.instructables.com/DIY-Kettlebells-for-under-10/
  • yirara

I think I would suggest slow exercises as it's difficult to hit exactly the right muscles when doing swings. Those glutes you sit on are easy to hit, but it's possible that TO wants to hit the uppermost ones, or muscles more to the side to get a more rounded look.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    debela725 wrote: »
    I'm doing body weight at home for 4 months. I'm doing alllll I could find on YouTube 5 times per week 1 hour per day. Squeezeng and squeezing. Changes are microscopical 🙄

The glutes are the largest muscle in the human body and very powerful. It already does a ton of work keeping the trunk of the body in an erect posture. Bodyweight exercises aren't going to provide a particularly challenging stimulus to an already powerful muscle. To grow muscle, you have to overload...even with more difficult movements, I would think it difficult to overload your glutes with bodyweight...they're already working their *kitten* off...pun intended.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Keep in mind that for some of the classic glute exercises, like squats, various forms of weight can increase the challenge, if you're careful about the weight distribution. People use sandbags, gallon jugs of water, full laundry baskets, big bag of dog food, small backpack with contents, and all manner of other things. Ditto for some of the other classics, like glute bridges. Obviously, be careful, and think about how the weight's location sits on your joints/body.

Some can also be done with resistance bands.

Still gonna be slow, though, for reasons others mentioned. Patience is a help. 😉 Good luck!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    First: I don't believe lifting weights alone can greatly change overall body shape and to a great extent your body shape is what god gave you. You can make your body leaner by losing weight, and stronger by lifting weights, at least.

@AnnPT77 : Those are great ideas! I have always felt that thighs and glutes can be worked out at home with not much equipment. Squats without weight are great until you can do about 30-50, then you can add weight. A gallon jug of water is a great suggestion (or a 16lb medicine ball). I also like "mule kicks," reverse leg raises, etc.

There are a million "buns and thighs" videos on YouTube (e.g., Popsugar fitness).
  • MikePfirrman
    edited November 2020
    yirara wrote: »

I think I would suggest slow exercises as it's difficult to hit exactly the right muscles when doing swings. Those glutes you sit on are easy to hit, but it's possible that TO wants to hit the uppermost ones, or muscles more to the side to get a more rounded look.

Little known fact. The guy that everyone swears by for building glutes (Bret Contreras) -- before he wrote "Strong Curves", he swore that heavy KBs and fast, properly done KB Swings were the way to go. Truth be told, it's still better than glute bridges. It's just very hard to find KBs that are 1/3 of your body weight in gyms (that's the size he recommended to work up to). A properly done heavy KB swing -- and most don't do them right -- is very ballistic and driven from the glute.

But you're right, they aren't the only exercise. But they are a very good one.
  • djaxon1
    djaxon1 Posts: 82 Member
    Haven't seen that diy kettlebell article before but it's the way to go for diy.
    I started to use KB's early this year and made a couple- 15 and 20kgs
    KB swings are really surprising how hard they work the large posterior muscles .
    Squats holding a KB also seem to be quite do-able . . . but what a workout !
    Not seeing visible change but now I feel like a soldier standing to attention - when I'm . . er . . just standing !
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited November 2020
    Sure there are other forms of resistance training. Weight training is just more convenient for results and long term goals.

I wouldn't expect you to notice results from just squeezing.
  • yirara

Little known fact. The guy that everyone swears by for building glutes (Bret Contreras) -- before he wrote "Strong Curves", he swore that heavy KBs and fast, properly done KB Swings were the way to go. Truth be told, it's still better than glute bridges. It's just very hard to find KBs that are 1/3 of your body weight in gyms (that's the size he recommended to work up to). A properly done heavy KB swing -- and most don't do them right -- is very ballistic and driven from the glute.

Oh, I have no problems with kettlebells. Swings are just more difficult to control if you want to hit specific muscles. And yeah, I'd need to find +20kg kettlebells for that. To be honest, I would not want to use them in my livingroom as I don't want to accidentally kill my neighbour should I let them slip :*:D
  • MikePfirrman
    edited November 2020

Oh, I have no problems with kettlebells. Swings are just more difficult to control if you want to hit specific muscles. And yeah, I'd need to find +20kg kettlebells for that. To be honest, I would not want to use them in my livingroom as I don't want to accidentally kill my neighbour should I let them slip :*:D

I honestly think that's the precise reason that Contreras changed his tune back around 10 years ago and went with weighted bridges. I'm sure he saw that very few gyms carried heavy KBs and that gyms didn't want people launching them into gigantic full wall mirrors!

There's only been one gym that I was a member of that had heavy enough KBs to really develop glutes -- they had up to a 100 lb one. I got to the point where I could swing that one, but not for many swings. What I usually had to resort to was using multiple 35 lb ones.

• yirara

I honestly think that's the precise reason that Contreras changed his tune back around 10 years ago and went with weighted bridges. I'm sure he saw that very few gyms carried heavy KBs and that gyms didn't want people launching them into gigantic full wall mirrors!

LOL! This! :D:D:D