Fitbit calories?

Hi,
I recently connected my fitbit to mfp. I have around 8k steps and I'm being given an extra 700+ calories for the day. I feel like that's pretty high, but maybe it's accurate...?

I tried looking for the calculations but I'm not understanding any of it. Anyone have resources that I can look at?

I am 5'2" and 190 lb. I put that I am not very active although I am probably more "lightly active."

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,738 Member
    If you know your stride length, you can calculate the distance you're covering with those 8k steps.

A formula often mentioned here for estimating calories burned by walking is:
    Weight in lbs x distance in miles x 0.3

I agree that 700kcal sounds high.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    edited November 2020
    jamuhlynn wrote: »
    Hi,
    I recently connected my fitbit to mfp. I have around 8k steps and I'm being given an extra 700+ calories for the day. I feel like that's pretty high, but maybe it's accurate...?

I tried looking for the calculations but I'm not understanding any of it. Anyone have resources that I can look at?

I am 5'2" and 190 lb. I put that I am not very active although I am probably more "lightly active."

Thanks in advance.

If you put a more accurate activity level into MyFitnessPal you would get a smaller adjustment - the actual number that your Fitbit estimates for your entire day would be the same.

Doing 8k steps but selecting "not very active" is the problem rather than the watch.

In the end you will have to trial your Fitbit's numbers for an extended period to judge its accuracy (in conjunction with your food logging accuracy).
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,860 Member
    Fitbit, at least for iOS is broken in several aspects at the moment. I find that if I walk for say 5km it gives me crazy calorie burns. I'm not sure it's supposed to add calories from just walking, but it does. If you're unfit or have a higher than average heartrate you can at least at the moment expect crazy fake burns. I would disconnect it and only increase your activity level if you walk about 8000 steps each day.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    I personally don’t link my Fitbit. I’ve been using one for over 5 years and don’t find the calorie burn to be accurate for me. I simply use it to track my steps, tell time, for my heart rate, and to see how long I was in bed.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    I'm 5'3", 55 years old and 120 lbs.

I selected "not very active" (android app) ---aka "sedentary" (ios app and website, I believe) --- in MFP. I did so because my steps can vary from 3000 - 15,000 depending on my days activity.

For me, if my day is 8000-9000 steps, the final adjustment for the end of the day varies from 150 - 240 calories.

If I remember correctly, it was funky for the first week after linking. Also, if you work out early in the day, it will overestimate and drop the value all day.