Swimming + glasses

Options
13»

Replies

• seemafitnessgal
    seemafitnessgal Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    BigAnnieG wrote: »
    I LOVE swimming... but am also ridiculously short sighted. This means I swim with my glasses on, as contacts and chlorine are a bad mix, and prescription goggles are foggy/a pain (either entrust glasses to side of a busy pool for the ol' switcharoo or walk around entire changing area with a curved perspective on the world...!). Does anyone else have this, and what's the best way to deal with it? I swim breaststroke but keep my head above water, though my neck as in line as possible without submerging my head, and manage a good forty minutes before an ache sets in. My pace is pretty quick, thanks to having paddles for feet, but I just wonder if there is a better way to manage semi blindness and swimming. Going without lenses is out of the question as I literally can't see my own feet without them!

You can get prescription glasses which don't get foggy. Yes they are available and I got mine at GogglesNmore . It helps me swim and look at things plus the yellow tint i got for myself helps me with the indoor lighting in the pool. Hope this helps.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,603 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the whole thread so apologies if this has already been said. You can get goggles with standard near sighted corrections from Speedo. Correction from -1.5 to -8.0. I am a -10, but -8 is good enough for snorkelling. The corrections go by 0.5 increments and under correcting is more comfortable than over correcting.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I have worn contacts with regular goggles, it was fine, but my eye doctor told me it's not a great idea. I went on amazon and bought a pair of prescription TYR's for $20 and it was one of the best fitness investments I've made. I swim several different strokes so not wearing goggles is impossible.

@MonkeyMel21 Curious about why your eye doctor didn't like that combination?

I was told by my eye doctor that swimming with lenses in is a bad idea, even with goggles, because at some point there is usually some leakage. The issue is that swimming pool water can hang around the eye longer than usual if you have lenses in and that is really not good. There's a risk of some hideous fungus or something. That said, I wear daily disposable lenses. He said if I was prepared to discard the lenses immediately after the swim it was OK to use them for the swim (even without goggles if the swim was not going on for hours) and advised me to rinse eyes with saline or comfort drops immediately after removing the lenses.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing prescription dive mask/googles for decades. I prevent fog the way I learned when I learned how to dive - spit in them, rub the spit around, rinse quickly.

If anyone has tried both spit and the anti-fog spray, how do they compare? My dive instructor mentioned the spray, but he was a spitter, and consequently the class was as well.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I've been wearing prescription dive mask/googles for decades. I prevent fog the way I learned when I learned how to dive - spit in them, rub the spit around, rinse quickly.

If anyone has tried both spit and the anti-fog spray, how do they compare? My dive instructor mentioned the spray, but he was a spitter, and consequently the class was as well.

I used to spit, but now use anti-fog spray. I think the spray works better.
  • rabblescum
    rabblescum Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have yet to try prescription goggles as my eyes are two different prescriptions and I have a severe astigmatism. I have cheap zenni glasses and swim in them. I do breast with face above and switch it with backstroke and freestyle moving my head left to right to keep above water. It alleviates the neck strain to switch it up.