Oh wow!

Options
MyFitnessPal was suggested by my doctor. I used it yesterday for the first time and was shocked to see that of the calories I ate, 50% were from carbohydrates, if I'm reading it right. So already this has been educational and shown me that I really need to be making better choices. Now to make those better choices!

Replies

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a health condition whereby you should be limiting carbs, there is nothing wrong with 50% carbs as long as you hit reasonable protein and fat as stated above.

Carbs are not the enemy 😊
  • gunnmike
    gunnmike Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posters that 50% carbs is nothing to worry about. I'd concentrate more on calorie limits and making sure that those carbs are more beans, squash, whole grains and less ice cream and potato chips.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    MsCzar wrote: »
    I agree with the above posters that 50% carbs is nothing to worry about. I'd concentrate more on calorie limits and making sure that those carbs are more beans, squash, whole grains and less ice cream and potato chips.

Although if you enjoy ice cream and potato chips and you can fit them into your daily calorie allotment, go for it.

I have dessert each and every night and I’m down over 30 lbs so far with another 30ish to go. 😊
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    rlfrary75 wrote: »
    MyFitnessPal was suggested by my doctor. I used it yesterday for the first time and was shocked to see that of the calories I ate, 50% were from carbohydrates, if I'm reading it right. So already this has been educational and shown me that I really need to be making better choices. Now to make those better choices!

For what purpose did your doctor recommend MFP? Weight loss? Tracking carbohydrates? Does your Dr. want you to reduce carbohydrates? Did he have any suggestions on what type of carbohydrates you should focus on?

I ask because carbohydrates is a broad macronutrient...it includes simple sugars, starches, and fiber. I'm an omnivore, but I eat vegetarian quite a bit, so 50% carbohydrates wouldn't be a particularly high carb day for me. Most of my carbohydrates are veggies, some fruit (but mostly in the summer), potatoes and other root vegetables, oats, legumes, lentils, etc. Many sources of carbohydrates also pack a lot of nutrition...a Dr. Pepper, not so much.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    rlfrary75 wrote: »

What's the problem?
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I eat easily 60 or more % carbs every day and have been for years, and basically maintain my weight (there was a little bump in the road caused by being inactive for 6 weeks after major surgery and starting blood pressure medicine). I have great bloodwork values for cholesterol, etc.

That being said, I am not just drinking sodas and eating cookies. I only eat whole grains at home, and lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, but the general term "carbohydrates" encompasses both straight up sugar and the more complex, nutritious polysaccharides found in plants.