Anyone been drinking ASPIRE calorie burning drink?

Options
Has anyone been drinking this on a regular basis and seen any result? Its supposed to burn 200 calories over 3 hours. Can this really work??

Replies

• DanL66712
    Options
    No it doesn't...
  • DanL66712
    Options
    Sorry, that wasn't at all helpful...but no, it won't work. It claims that it makes you burn 209kcal over three hours based on a study of only 20 people. And the basis is that the caffeine will make you move more and the green tea will help burn calories. If you drink this sitting at your desk, then you will just add the 12.5kcal contained in the drink to your daily total. If you drink it, say, before the gym, then you may do more exercise and therefore burn more. However, a cup of starbucks filter coffee would also have the same effect. As would any caffeine containing product
  • caroline_g
    caroline_g Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    The problem is, you have absolutely no idea what you'd be if you didn't have the drink and so even if you do drink it and see a good loss, how do you know that you wouldn't have lost that anyway? 210 calories is 0.06 of a pound! Over a week, that's 0.42lbs extra that you'll have apparently burned. Is it worth paying that £1.40 per can so £7 a week for less than half a lb extra if it even works? To be honest, I'd say no, but that's me. I think 210 calories is easily burnable through exercise in far less than 3 hours, which I'd much rather do, for free.

It's just a rebranded version of green tea and other detox type drinks. My point isn't whether it works as I'm sure it does burn 210 calories over 3 hours (though see my next point below!), it's whether it's worth it. It's 210 calories on top of whatever you normally do that day. So say if you usually burn 1800 calories a day going about your normal activity, you'd burn 1996 instead (as it says it burns 209 calories but gives you an extra 13 calories). You can easily burn an extra 196 calories a day through doing extra exercise/activity and that won't cost you anything. I could easily give you 20+ ways to burn 200 calories for example, 15 minutes of skipping a day - 200 calories gone. Yes it takes longer than it does to drink that drink, but what are you going to do, drink Aspire for the rest of your life so that you're burning enough calories a day to maintain your weight after you've lost what you want to lose? In my opinion, you're much better off incorporating exercise to burn extra calories rather than using pills, drinks etc. which all take maximum money for minimum benefit.

Sounds great, right? Participants burnt 209 calories in the three hour period after drinking Aspire.

BUT! The BMR for a 25 year old woman weighing 160lbs (I picked a lower weight for my age and height so that it was a lower BMR and a 'healthy' BMI) has a BMR of 1558 per 24 hours. This works out as 65 calories burnt at rest per hour, 195 calories for 3 hours. So, if that woman didn't drink Aspire and just laid down for 3 hours which is exactly the same conditions as the Aspire test, she'd burn 195 calories. With the Aspire drink, the average was 209 calories, minus the 195 that an average height/weight person burns over that time, that's only a 14 calorie increase. It contains 13 calories so that's ONE extra calorie burnt. So that's £1.40 a can, £1.40 a calorie. 3500 calories per lb of fat, so you'd have to pay a massive £4900 to lose a lb of fat!
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    They also have one that supposedly supresses your appetite. You're supposed to drink a 500ml bottle before each meal and it stops you eating as much. Water does just the same.
  • giuliabaggypants
    Options
    Its nonsense - the average person already burns about 200 calories in 3 hours ANYWAY. Its called your BMR (basal metabolic rate) which is the energy your body uses to function.

Dont waste your £
  • garethshaw
    Options
    Hi All

It rather annoys me when people disregard the science and just make a blanket (and false) statement, no it doesn't work!

Aspire is an excellent drink as a geek I've read the science report and have managed to loose weight using it. I'm am not over weight but wanted to slim down and tone up. I did a month without then my PT said why not try it, so I did and I started losing more weight. As my PT was controlling my diet and exercise for a competition I can assure you that the only change was that I was drinking Aspire everyday.

With reference to the MBR indeed that is correct however, the research says "additional" 209 Kcals NOT a total of 209, that means it would bring your BMR to 409 for the resting state.

I also don't believe it is rebranded, I was lucky enough to meet the owners at a fitness convention and they told how they came up with the idea and then designed the drink from scratch. While I can't remember the exact story, it sounded plausable and not a load of load of guff.

It seems clear that Dan doesn't fully understand how exercise and weight lose are connected, this aspire drink isn't saying it will make you move more. Yes the caffeine will have the result of making you more alert but that isn't the primary goal of the drink. Medical experts are now saying drinking an expresso or coffee before the gym will help you perform better. I am martial artist and will concur that my sparring matches feel more fluid after a good cup of coffee, this has a similar effect of increasing my focus.

Caffeine raises your heart rate which is one of the reasons you burn more calories, the green tea and other ingredients cause your body to heat up (marginally) and therefore you burn more calories at its most basic level.

Sorry for the rant but don't give advice if you don't know what you are talking about.

That's a bit like saying the curved trainers don't work if you sit at your desk all. Of course they won't! To lose weight you need to get off your bum and exercise, this merely helps kick start the process.

Thanks for reading all.
    G
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Hi All

It rather annoys me when people disregard the science and just make a blanket (and false) statement, no it doesn't work!

Aspire is an excellent drink as a geek I've read the science report and have managed to loose weight using it. I'm am not over weight but wanted to slim down and tone up. I did a month without then my PT said why not try it, so I did and I started losing more weight. As my PT was controlling my diet and exercise for a competition I can assure you that the only change was that I was drinking Aspire everyday.

With reference to the MBR indeed that is correct however, the research says "additional" 209 Kcals NOT a total of 209, that means it would bring your BMR to 409 for the resting state.

I also don't believe it is rebranded, I was lucky enough to meet the owners at a fitness convention and they told how they came up with the idea and then designed the drink from scratch. While I can't remember the exact story, it sounded plausable and not a load of load of guff.

It seems clear that Dan doesn't fully understand how exercise and weight lose are connected, this aspire drink isn't saying it will make you move more. Yes the caffeine will have the result of making you more alert but that isn't the primary goal of the drink. Medical experts are now saying drinking an expresso or coffee before the gym will help you perform better. I am martial artist and will concur that my sparring matches feel more fluid after a good cup of coffee, this has a similar effect of increasing my focus.

Caffeine raises your heart rate which is one of the reasons you burn more calories, the green tea and other ingredients cause your body to heat up (marginally) and therefore you burn more calories at its most basic level.

Sorry for the rant but don't give advice if you don't know what you are talking about.

That's a bit like saying the curved trainers don't work if you sit at your desk all. Of course they won't! To lose weight you need to get off your bum and exercise, this merely helps kick start the process.

Thanks for reading all.
    G
    So...evidence?
    You've just stated another anecdote.
  • sannsk
    sannsk Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Hi All

Thanks for reading all.
    G

are you by any chance affiliated with this company?
    Looking at your profile and seeing that you only just joined MFP and have only posted 1 forum post (the above), I'm inclined to doubt the objectiveness of your post...
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    are you by any chance affiliated with this company?
    Ya think? :wink:

Hey garethshaw, I'm a geek too - show me the science. Peer reviewed. Published.
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    garethshaw Selector

Joined Oct 2012

Yeah.. ok :yawn:
  • sannsk
    sannsk Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    garethshaw Selector

Joined Oct 2012

Yeah.. ok :yawn:

and "Gareth" claims to be female too :laugh:
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I guess he bought the owners line of sale. Glad it worked for him...but as proven, it can all be done with cal.limits,eating right and drinking water,plus exercise
  • selliot7
    Options
    I know it's an old thread, but for anyone who stumbles across this I feel the need to add that they no longer claim to burn 200 calories as they got done by Advertising Standards. Turns out the drink quite possibly burns calories, but it is more likely to burn between 20-30. Even this though was only suggested after a test on about 20 people though, and they've changed the recipe since.

It's a shame as I for one got duped before hand.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    yup. It's the same stuff that's in many other energy drinks.
    Guarana extract
    Green tea extract
    L – Carnitine
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,680 Member
    Options
    Hi All

Thanks for reading all.
    G
    I think you should stick to your mantra.

It's BS. There are no foods/drinks that burn calories. Ingesting food/drink with calories increases calorie intake. This isn't disputed. Calories are burned by using energy whether from BMR, TEF or increased physical activity. Caffeine has a stimulant
    effect and many people get it on a daily basis through coffee, tea and soda, yet still aren't burning an "extra 200 calories".

It's snake oil. Don't believe the hype.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of free activities that will burn 200 calories or more over three hours.

A drink will not do this. Ever.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    With reference to the MBR indeed that is correct

So... this drink helps to repair your computer's master boot record? I'm gonna pour that all over my laptop's hard drive right now!
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Cayenne Pepper and lemon juice will probably yield similar pseudo results.
  • Runner5AbelTownship
    Runner5AbelTownship Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Whats a curved trainer?
  • jojokmack
    jojokmack Posts: 117
    Options
    Hehehe,...........you all make me giggle.
    I think I have burned more calories having a laugh at some of these comments than this drink would :)