UK - where to get body fat % reading?

Options
Hi all
I have a 'normal' scales and don't really want to pay out a load on new ones.. I wondered if there is anywhere in the UK that you can get your body fat % measured (preferrably without embarrassing staff around etc). lol

do Boots / chemists or anything like that work things out? Or maybe gyms? I am joining Uni gym so maybe that is an option.

Replies

• goodridges
    goodridges Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Boots do a full body scan thing that gives you this reading.It comes out on a print out so the whole world & his wife don't have to see it. It works out quite expensive though at over £1 each time... it might be worth investing in a new pair of scales in the long run-try the internet for bargains. :happy:
  • sophs87
    sophs87 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I got mine done at Fitness First the other day but its best to get it done with calipers as they are more accurate!
  • elizson
    Options
    Hi,
    I know for definate that the scales in Boots give you a Body Fat percentage read...it costs an extra 20p to get a body fat reading ie 70p all together.
    Not sure if the cost is the same nationwide though
  • elizson
    Options
    Boots do a full body scan thing that gives you this reading.It comes out on a print out so the whole world & his wife don't have to see it. It works out quite expensive though at over £1 each time... it might be worth investing in a new pair of scales in the long run-try the internet for bargains. :happy:

Seems its not the same nationwide then...other than that you could buy a small monitor. You can get one for around a tenner.
  • martinh78
    Options
    The boots option sounds good, didn't know they did it, thanks.

I have the scale at home but had I know I might not have bothered. Body Fat % is something I'd check once a month rather than every day. Ok, I log mine each week because I have the scale at home, but it's minimal difference.
  • shoppie
    shoppie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    How accurate are the monitors though? The only time Ihave had it done was at a gym with calipers I have to say and I'm not entirely buying the accuracy of the scales versions...
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Calipers are likely the best bet, but I think I'd sooner pay Boots as their scales will likely be more accurate than cheapies and be checked every so often you'd think. :) Will do that and see if the gym have calipers though honestly I'm cringing inside at the though of having that done! lol

Thanks everyone! :wink:
  • russdev
    russdev Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    If body fat is taken with a machine that also weighs you etc then they are getting the reading by sending a electrical current around your body (nothing major and you don't notice it etc). However this method is not very reliable best option is pick up cheap pair of Calipers from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Calipers-Measuring-Tools/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n:114535031&page=1

Russell