Spinning classes....difficult?

Options
I have just joined a gym and it runs trixter (spinning) classes. I started exercising seriously mid June when I joined MFP. My fitness level has risen quite significantly but I still have quite a bit of weight to lose and I know that I have work to do before I am really fit. I was a bit put off by comments from the trainer who runs the trixter class who said she had a group of men who had been attending the class for a year and were really fit now. I feel that I may not be able to keep up and so haven't attended the class. My thinking is that I should work on really improving my fitness before I even attempt the class. But on the other hand, attending the class might improve my fitness. But it could be painfully embarrassing if i STRUGGLE! Any thoughts, experience or advice appreciated!!

Replies

• bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    i say go for it!!! I have always found spin to be a great workout for me, but i also think it is as hard as you make it to be.....at least at the one i take it is very easy to take things at your place.....doesnt hurt to check one out, because you wont know till then :)
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    My first two were tough, but got better, and now I LOVE IT!
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to do one at Uni if I have a gap in lessons at the right time.. should be fun! Go for it :) Just let them know you're new and turn up early.. they were tips I read in another thread about it. :bigsmile:
  • pertilera
    Options
    I love spinning! It can be difficult for the beginner but you can work at your own pace. It becomes so addicting you will want to go buy spinning shoes!
  • wxkris
    Options
    Don't be scared that you will appear like you're struggling, because NO ONE knows what resistance you have on the bike! Spinning is a "go at your own pace" type of workout. As you get more comfortable, you can push yourself harder, but your goal for the first couple classes is to sit on the bike the whole time and keep moving your legs. Definitely go for it and you'll get the hang of it in NO TIME!
  • dianaskin
    Options
    Spinning classes are AMAZING if you love to cycle.

First, don't be scared - everyone has a FIRST DAY at everything! My suggestion is to let the instructor know that you have never done a spinning class before and he/she will help you set up the bike.

Second, TAKE IT EASY the first few classes. When they say GO FASTER...go a little faster. When they say TURN UP THE TENSION...just turn it up a bit. If you go too hard the first few times you'll hate it and never go back. So start slow and know you have time to get faster and use more tension. Take it a few classes at a time!

Third, everyone else in the class is going to be focused on their own progress so don't worry about what other people might think!

Finally...your bum will hurt. For about a week. Then it goes away! I promise. BUT when you take a break (i.e. if you don't do spinning for a month) the first time you go back your bum will hurt again, but only for a couple of days.
  • martinh78
    Options
    Did my first one Wednesday night (after Body Combat class, not such a good idea!)

It was good. Go at your own pace/resistance level and if you need to sit back in the saddle do, then get back out and climb a bit more when you can.

I found the out of teh saddle stuff really tough, the seated stuff was fine. I just sat back down again, carried spinning, then stood up when I could.

Just go!
  • dianaskin
    Options
    I had another thought - in my class I have a 70 year old in it. So I think...if she can do it...I can do it! And she doesn't go too hard at it, she seems to take it like a nice bike ride. I never see her sweat. God bless her...
  • logitech
    logitech Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Spinning is a great burn and everyone can do it. You're in control of the pedal speed and resistance, so the class is as hard as you make it. The great thing about group fitness for me is it makes me try a little harder then I would by myself. For the first class ask the instructor for help in getting the bike set up right for you height and you're good to go. Have fun.
  • phatsoslim
    phatsoslim Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I once taught spinning classes at a gym, now I teach them in my home and there is no better place to get fit than in the class or spin session itself. I had so many people tell me that they had to lose weight before they started to spin because it looked so intense. Take it at your own pace, don't worry about where the rest of the class is, they will be focusing on their own workout not yours. If the instructor can't instructor newcomers as well as long time participants, then they are a very good instructor. Their job is to help everyone in the class, whether it's their 1st day or their 151st day. I always told my class, "the hardest part of spinning is getting themselves through the cycling studio door."

So get into class and enjoy it! You will love it! Have fun!
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    My first two were tough, but got better, and now I LOVE IT!

Totally agree!! And do not be embarrassed if you struggle. Everyone is focused on their own struggle. I have seen really inshape folks give up before the class is over. I just keep moving my legs. Try it and you will get addicted too!!:drinker:
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    For the first class ask the instructor for help in getting the bike set up right for you height and you're good to go. Have fun.

Excellent point! have the seat and bars set correctly for your body makes a world of difference.
  • chedges9090
    chedges9090 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    So glad you posted this. I am now a spin teacher--as of a year ago. Initially, I would not take the class.. it looked too intimidating. And, since I was a staff member at the club.. I thought I would be too embarrassed to fail in front of everyone. But then, they started a "beginner" spinning class. Really .. the name is a trick :) Just to get people introduced to the class. Like others have said.. you work at your own pace. Everyone in the class knows that .. ! everyone started sometime..and even the most fit people sometimes had "growing" pains. It is a different type of excercise. ..

Your "bum" will hurt for the first 2 classes at least. It goes away. DO NOT go buy yourself a bike seat.
    Also, when I started, I didn't even stand the first 4 classes.. I was just nervous about the whole thing.

I don't know what weight you need to lose. But, we have had people at 250+ take the class.
    You CAN do it :) try it. The calorie burn is tremendous.. the music is fun!
    Am anxious to hear if you like it. Please let me know !!
  • jessbro1977
    jessbro1977 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I had a friend talk me into spin class, it was fun but difficult! I had no clue what I was doing, but did my best and it was fine. Don't worry bout the " masters" at it, there will always be a beginner, and u can sit down when u need to.most importantly try to have fun with it! Good luck! Oh, and go for the more cushioned seats!
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    someone already said this but I think it is worth repeating. Your butt will HURT for the first few times. The bonus of this is that it makes it easier stand when the teacher tells you to because, dear lord you really want to get off that seat! On a plus I felt like I had had a real workout after class.
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    What everybody else said...I think if you look at what the trainer said in a different way, you could be motivated...those guys that have been doing it a year went from not fit to fit! That's great! They didn't start out that way (probably).

Also, get some padded cycling shorts AND/or a gel seat cover. It will help with the booty pain...you'll still get it but it WILL get better.

Spinning is great if the instructor is good and has good music. I've had phenomenal instructors...so motivating. And I've had instructors where I had to leave the class because he talked all the time. If one instructor doesn't do it for you, try others.
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I have just joined a gym and it runs trixter (spinning) classes. I started exercising seriously mid June when I joined MFP. My fitness level has risen quite significantly but I still have quite a bit of weight to lose and I know that I have work to do before I am really fit. I was a bit put off by comments from the trainer who runs the trixter class who said she had a group of men who had been attending the class for a year and were really fit now. I feel that I may not be able to keep up and so haven't attended the class. My thinking is that I should work on really improving my fitness before I even attempt the class. But on the other hand, attending the class might improve my fitness. But it could be painfully embarrassing if i STRUGGLE! Any thoughts, experience or advice appreciated!!

I guess I don't understand why you would want to wait until you improve your fitness. Taking a spinning class is going to be a part of improving your fitness. Yes, it is a difficult class. My *kitten* hurt for days! But, I love to push myself. Just stay in the back of the class until you become more confident. Also, I strongly recommend getting a padded seat cover and padded cycling shorts. I so look forward to the times when you have to stand up on the bike! :laugh:
  • keepkickingbutt
    keepkickingbutt Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said, especially wxkris and dianaskin! It's as hard a workout as you make it, and trust me anyone who's actually working hard couldn't give a rat's are about what anyone else was doing, and even if they did they'd be too tired to find out. :)

Go for it!
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. So I guess I might try the class. But I may go and watch first.
  • dianaskin
    Options
    Thanks everyone. So I guess I might try the class. But I may go and watch first.

Don't watch...just DO IT! :) Watching will make you nervous...get in there, get on a bike and just enjoy the ride and the awesome music!