Forcing it...

Options
I have a question about how the rest of you deal with the amount of calories required. I am used to restricting and eating very low cal, so I am used to eating significantly less than is required according to MFP. I have such a hard time eating when I'm not hungry. I ate a little over 1300 calories today, and now I feel slightly sick and I am hating myself. It always feels like a binge when I eat the "right" amount, which is always a negative feeling. How do you make yourself eat when you don't really want to eat?

Replies

• incorporeally
    incorporeally Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have a question about how the rest of you deal with the amount of calories required. I am used to restricting and eating very low cal, so I am used to eating significantly less than is required according to MFP. I have such a hard time eating when I'm not hungry. I ate a little over 1300 calories today, and now I feel slightly sick and I am hating myself. It always feels like a binge when I eat the "right" amount, which is always a negative feeling. How do you make yourself eat when you don't really want to eat?
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's not about forcing it, but eating foods that are more nutrient/calorie rich.
    I am not talkin junk food or anything.
    Bananas, nuts, mangos, avacados, rice, pasta, etc.... Foods that have more calories per serving, so you ARE filling up when you eat.

Make sense?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    you ate 1300 already? Are you in the US? What's your total calories for the day set at? I usually say, divide by 6, that will give you a vague idea of how many calories to eat at each sitting. Then go a little heavier in the morning, a little lighter at night.

I mean, if you're a 20 year old woman, I can't see your calories being much over 16 or 1800 with a deficit. That means you ate 4/5ths of your calories before dinner.
  • smcintosh
    smcintosh Posts: 27
    Options
    I had the same issue. I ate 600 - 700 calories a day and now I am supposed to be eating 1500 not including my extra for calories burned. I eat allot of small meals. When I dont feel "hungry" I grab a handful of nuts.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I think your negative attitude towards eating will change on it's own quickly as long as you stick to it.

It will change because:
    a) You will have more energy
    b) You will start to burn more fat, as your metabolism increases
    c) eating is fun

Stick to it. I know it's hard but it will be worth it.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    What I do is just eat something with higher calories, but not as filling. A handful of almonds have around 150 calories, where you would have to eat 4 cups of brocoli to get the same calories. The other thing you can do is at something to the foods you are eating to make them have more calories. I will add slivered almond or flax seed to stuff like oat meal or yogurt. There are health benefits to both and they help add calories with out making too full.
  • incorporeally
    incorporeally Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    you ate 1300 already? Are you in the US?... That means you ate 4/5ths of your calories before dinner.

I am currently living in Europe, so at the time I posted it was evening. Thank you all for the great tips. You'll be happy to hear that I went on a trip with friends to London this weekend and ate an excessive amount of food (it just seems to happen when I travel :blushing:), which when I calculated it actually put me right around the right calorie range...so I'm getting a bit better at judging...or I was just drinking my calories. :drinker:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

I dont force myself to eat over 1200 -1400 calories per day. I dont eat my excercise calories however if I am hungry I know enough to grab a piece of fruit or veggies...make sure your spacing out your meals and that they are small. Include nuts,berries they really help to get calories in without adding in the bloat.