Kellogg Challenge

Options
I'm starting the Kellogg Challenge. I wish I could diet with portion control, but I diet best with defined structure. I'm hoping the Kellogg Challenge will prove to be successful for me. We shall see I guess.

I'm doing the challenge along side the P90X challenge. Today is day 2 for me, I will be doing the 90 minute Yoga DVD tonight.

I am planning on getting married next spring. We are hoping to elope to a destination wedding in Hawaii...I hope to look like I did when we got together 2.5 years ago.

Anyone out there who has done the K-Challenge???

Replies

• TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Nope, but I've been thinking about it for a while now... what does it consist of?
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    It's simply calorie restriction (like you can do here, all on your own, and eat healthier foods doing it).. they get you to eat their product for so many meals & snacks and then you've eaten at a calorie deficit for the day. There's no magic to their products and in fact, they are mostly full of crap!
  • pinn44
    Options
    I've done the Special k several times and it really works. when I'e done it I've eaten a bowl for breakfast and lunch then had a protein shake in between and had a sensible dinner. Each time I lost 7 lbs. in a week. Imagine if you did it for all 3 meals. Good Luck, I'm sure you can do it!
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Those Kellog people are very smart! There are usually coupons in the paper for Special K. If you are on a budget, you might want to clip some, as their products are a tad pricey.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    The Kellogg Challenge will work for the same reason that the Twinkie Diet works. At the end of the day it comes down to Calories In vs Calories Out. There is nothing special about Kelloggs Cereal that will make you lose weight, only that you'll be eating less calories overall. As long as you understand this.... have at it. Good luck!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    The Kellogg Challenge will work for the same reason that the Twinkie Diet works. At the end of the day it comes down to Calories In vs Calories Out. There is nothing special about Kelloggs Cereal that will make you lose weight, only that you'll be eating less calories overall. As long as you understand this.... have at it. Good luck!

Exactly. I would rather eat the food of my choosing rather than Kellogg's cereal products, but to each their own. It is a clever marketing scheme though!
  • mwgirl78
    Options
    Yeah, I think for me it's the defined diet. I need that definition of what to eat, otherwise, I will just eat whatever my tummy tells me I'm hungry for. It's tough because I grew up in a traditional chinese household where (very similar to the Italian culture), we build relationships with our family at the table. The thing is, I grew up (for the most part) in the US eating food high in hormones and preservatives, while the rest of my family grew up eating fresh farm grown food. The rest of my family is so tiny compared to me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a giant or anything, but in my family being 5'3" is giant.

I hope I can lose weight like you did Pinn44. Did you get off the challenge? If so, why?

I'll keep those interested in the know as I progress.
  • alicebud
    alicebud Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend bought me the special K challenge cookbook. I have been enjoying the recipes in that book. But, I found their products (shakes and meal bars) to be a little expensive compared to other brands. Definitely look for coupons www.kelloggs.com has a $1 off for 3 cereals.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Those Kellog people are very smart! There are usually coupons in the paper for Special K. If you are on a budget, you might want to clip some, as their products are a tad pricey.

Yep, they are sure smart to keep people eating the Genetically modified grains that Monsanto is growing.

More money in the Big Agra pockets while Americans yo yo and get fatter and sicker.

Personally I would love to see Monsanto, General Mills, Kelloggs, Kraft and all those icky processed food manufactures blown off the face of the earth.

They don't have your best interest at heart.
  • Grokette
    Options
    Yeah, I think for me it's the defined diet. I need that definition of what to eat, otherwise, I will just eat whatever my tummy tells me I'm hungry for. It's tough because I grew up in a traditional chinese household where (very similar to the Italian culture), we build relationships with our family at the table. The thing is, I grew up (for the most part) in the US eating food high in hormones and preservatives, while the rest of my family grew up eating fresh farm grown food. The rest of my family is so tiny compared to me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a giant or anything, but in my family being 5'3" is giant.

I hope I can lose weight like you did Pinn44. Did you get off the challenge? If so, why?

What do you think you are going to be eating with this Kelloggs challenge???? Processed, hormoned and antiobiotic filled milk and processed less than whole grain cereal..........

Yes, they can say it is made with whole grain....................It was a whole grain before they ground it up to make whatever cereal.

Trickery by the processed food manufacturers.
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options

I too am the kind of person who needs a defined diet. And I love cereal, so of course I love this idea... how exactly are you doing it? Are you replacing every meal with the cereal or are you only replacing certain meals? Are you going to be using their snack bars as well? Maybe we can be Kellogg Challenge buddies...
  • 8rules
    8rules Posts: 169
    Options
    Kellog diet = Stone Soup

Reminds me of the anaconda protocol, a gimmick to make you buy product, and suffer through an ultra low calorie diet.

Its the perfect scam. If your self discipline is great enough to stick to it, you lose weight and give the product credit. If you can't stick to it, you blame yourself for not being tough enough.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I get that it's hard to plan a healthy calorie conscious menu day to day, but turning to an all-processed food alternative is not the answer. There are lots of websites ... here's one that popped up on the first page Googling 'healthy eating meal plan' http://www.secretsofhealthyeating.com/healthy-meal-plans.html

I'd urge you to ensure your health is as much of a priority when seeking a weight loss solution and avoid pre-packaged processed snacks and foods. Even the cost per serving for whole grain oatmeal, rice or quinoa is way cheaper than packaged cereals for breakfast. Or even better scrambled eggs with a piece of fruit. Instead of meal bars, there are so many alternatives in the form of real food. Please make the effort to find a different approach; you are truly worth it.

Only Kellogs benefits from their Challenge.
  • Grokette
    Options

I too am the kind of person who needs a defined diet. And I love cereal, so of course I love this idea... how exactly are you doing it? Are you replacing every meal with the cereal or are you only replacing certain meals? Are you going to be using their snack bars as well? Maybe we can be Kellogg Challenge buddies...

If you need a plan that is defined there are plenty of WHOLE foods plans out here that are very defined and you will be a lot more healthy about it.

Please think twice about turning to these processed foods that have to be enriched and fortified with nutrients so they can even say there are vitamins and minerals in the product. That should tell you a little something about what you are putting in your body is not even food.
  • mwgirl78
    Options
    This is all very good feedback! I really appreciate the comments.

Any thoughts on how to manage a good meal plan with limited time? I have a crazy busy schedule and find it hard to find time to make a good breakfast and lunch prepared.

Thanks again for your candid feedback.
  • alicebud
    alicebud Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I cook extras when I cook main dishes/casseroles and even rice/pasta Sides. Then, I use my vintage 1970's Seal-a-meal to freeze the leftovers into single servings. On evenings when I am busy, I have ready to boil in bag meals ready to go. As for meal planning, I usually log my entire days food in the am and then I know whether I can have a big afternoon snack or no afternoon snack.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Any thoughts on how to manage a good meal plan with limited time? I have a crazy busy schedule and find it hard to find time to make a good breakfast and lunch prepared.

Hard-boil a bunch of eggs (get the omega-3 enriched -- they won't be the cheapest, but I bet they'll cost about the same as that cereal). Have two eggs for breakfast along with a piece of fruit.

Buy a rotisserie chicken (most grocery stores sell them). Pick it apart and divide it out into daily portions. Take the chicken to lunch along with a small handful of almonds and some carrot sticks or broccoli or something.

I'm certainly not saying this is perfect or ideal by any means. I think it is pretty low calorie, personally, but it is likely on par with the calorie content of the Kellogg Challenge and I think it would be a bit more nutritional. And it can be fast and portion-controlled, if that's what you need. There are lots of similar meal plan suggestions out there.

But really, if you're only doing this to drop weight for your wedding and honeymoon, you realize that the weight will just come back on, right? Why not find a way that can help you get lean and fit and stay that way for the long term? Only you can really figure that out, though. But there is lots of help here and on other sites.
  • mwgirl78
    Options
    All very good suggestions! I have a food saver and don't think I use it enough for food preparation. I mostly use it to seal my brown suger (so it doesn't get stale) and to freeze meats. Now that is getting near to be fall, I will definitely be making lots of healthy soups, like turkey chili, and freeze them in portions.

Also, I love the rotisserie chicken that I can get in stores, I usually buy it and use half of it to make chicken noodle soup.

Thanks again!