Recommendations for balance in exercising and weightloss

Options
Hi there i’m not really new but i just got started recently on mfp. I’m 158cm & 57kgs at the moment but would like to lose about 5kgs more in normal pacing. My BMR is about 1298 , TDEE would be ranging from 1500-2000 depending on activity level.

i plan to do my workouts like abs on monday , legs on wednesday as well as arms on friday with rest days on weekends or if i’m feeling good i’ll do another full body workout on weekend. So for this routine is it considered lightly active or very active? 😅.. And if its very active and my TDEE is 2000 cals, does that mean my daily cal deficit intake would be 1500-1700 ? Thank you !

Replies

• PaintedPlay
    PaintedPlay Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Activity level usually refers to your daily constant activity. Workouts are usually seen as added activity unless you are someone who works multiple times daily I would calculate workouts as light activity.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,432 Member
    Options
    If you're using MFP guided setup, it intends for you to set your activity level based on your life *before* intentional exercise, i.e., job, home chores, non-exercise hobbies, etc. Then, when you actually do exercise, you log what you specifically did, and eat those calories back, too. That results in you eating more on exercise days, less on non-exercise days (but you can bank some of the calories for another day mentally, if you prefer).

If, instead, you want to have the same calorie goal every day, it would be a better idea** to use an outside TDEE calculator to get an estimate that includes both daily life and exercise, knock a suitable number of calories off that to create a deficit (500 calories daily = about a pound a week, do the arithmetic to get other rates), and manually set your MFP calorie goal to the resulting value. Personally, of the common TDEE calculators, I find this one most informative, as it lets one compare different research-based formulas, and has relatively more of well-described activity levels: https://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/

However you set your goal, stick with it for 4-6 weeks, then adjust based on experience. The calculators just give you an estimate, but personal experience can make things more accurate. (If you're female & premenopausal, for sure compare body weight at the same relative point in at least two different menstrual cycles, to do the math.)

** There are differences in how the formulas are calculated for the different scenarios, different activity multipliers, basically, when using the MFP approach vs. a TDEE approach.
  • viviankang2000
    viviankang2000 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Okay got it thanks guys! 💖
  • viviankang2000
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Activity levels on MFP do NOT include exercise at all, it is ONLY your daily activity.

Sedentary is a bump on a log for work, after work, and all weekend long. Less than 4K steps which is very little.
    If a mom, or you have a house you are busy with - you are lightly active.

As far a weight loss rate - make it reasonable - for amount left - that's the smallest 250 cal deficit.

MFP will make sure your eating goal is below your non-exercise TDEE on non-workout days by that deficit, and on workout days when you burn more, you eat more, but still 250 less.
    Indeed, if your TDEE is 2000 then eating goal would be 1750, on whatever day that is your TDEE.

That is obtained by logging those workouts.

Your description though isn't really meaningful as to what kind of workouts - arms, legs, abs?
    What is the routine exactly - that will give insight as to how to log it.

Just remember your base eating goal is on days with no exercise - you do more you eat more. You do less you eat less. Life lesson regarding weight management right there.

For the abs legs arms workout its from madfit , i’m working out to gain muscles and strength aside from losing weight, not really sure if it’s considered moderate exercise haha
  • viviankang2000
    Options
    Activity levels on MFP do NOT include exercise at all, it is ONLY your daily activity.

Sedentary is a bump on a log for work, after work, and all weekend long. Less than 4K steps which is very little.

As far a weight loss rate - make it reasonable - for amount left - that's the smallest 250 cal deficit.

MFP will make sure your eating goal is below your non-exercise TDEE on non-workout days by that deficit, and on workout days when you burn more, you eat more, but still 250 less.
    Indeed, if your TDEE is 2000 then eating goal would be 1750, on whatever day that is your TDEE.

Your description though isn't really meaningful as to what kind of workouts - arms, legs, abs?

Just remember your base eating goal is on days with no exercise - you do more you eat more. You do less you eat less. Life lesson regarding weight management right there.

For the abs legs arms workout its from madfit , i’m working out to gain muscles and strength aside from losing weight, not really sure if it’s considered moderate exercise haha

If it's sets and reps up to 15 and about dead on each routine and rests of 2-4 min - that would be logged as Strength Training Weights - it's not a huge calorie burn but that is exactly correct.

If it's lighter dumbbells and going upwards of 20 reps and 1 min rest and less - that would be Circuit Training.

Then you have calisthenics if by time not reps and small rests too.

Okay, in this case tbvh 1700 calories is too much of an amount for me to start consuming since I’m currently around 1000-1300, is it fine to just add 100 cals per week so i can have a month or so to increase the cals intake?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

If it's sets and reps up to 15 and about dead on each routine and rests of 2-4 min - that would be logged as Strength Training Weights - it's not a huge calorie burn but that is exactly correct.

If it's lighter dumbbells and going upwards of 20 reps and 1 min rest and less - that would be Circuit Training.

Okay, in this case tbvh 1700 calories is too much of an amount for me to start consuming since I’m currently around 1000-1300, is it fine to just add 100 cals per week so i can have a month or so to increase the cals intake?

Absolutely - because if your body has been adapting to make the deficit not so extreme (like hard to keep warm, hair/nails growing slower, ect), you'll need time for it to learn it can speed back up too.

You do realize I was not using TDEE of 2000 because I agreed with you.
    Your use of the tool was wrong - MFP Activity levels do NOT include exercise.
    Your TDEE is ilkely NOT 2000.
  • viviankang2000
    Options

Absolutely - because if your body has been adapting to make the deficit not so extreme (like hard to keep warm, hair/nails growing slower, ect), you'll need time for it to learn it can speed back up too.

Okay got it thank you so much !! ☺️