Could a couple of days hard excersize effect weight loss?

Options
So I've been loosing really well the last few weeks, I tried extra hard this week as I wanted to boost myself with a big loss, stuck to 1500 calories or less all week, but I get on the scales and I've not lost anything. In terms of food there's no reason why I shouldn't have lost and I'm wondering if it could have been due to doing some really hard gardening work (dug an entire pond) 2 days this week and potentially building muscle mass (2 days later I'm still limping because my muscles ache from it) could this be why? I always assumed you have to work really hard and repetitively to gain muscle mass but now I'm not so sure because I can't see any other reason why I didn't loose weight this week. Should also probably add I'm usually very sedentary.

Replies

• elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    could be water retention
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Yep water retention due to muscle fatigue. It takes a but to gain muscles.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,382 Member
    Options
    Ditto to the above.

I think you might find this article helpful, for more details:

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations

It takes some of the mystery out of scale weight weirdness during weight loss.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    So I've been loosing really well the last few weeks, I tried extra hard this week as I wanted to boost myself with a big loss, stuck to 1500 calories or less all week, but I get on the scales and I've not lost anything. In terms of food there's no reason why I shouldn't have lost and I'm wondering if it could have been due to doing some really hard gardening work (dug an entire pond) 2 days this week and potentially building muscle mass (2 days later I'm still limping because my muscles ache from it) could this be why? I always assumed you have to work really hard and repetitively to gain muscle mass but now I'm not so sure because I can't see any other reason why I didn't loose weight this week. Should also probably add I'm usually very sedentary.

Yay gardening! Like others have said - water retention.

I foam roll, especially my hamstrings, after intense gardening. Makes a huge difference in decreasing soreness.

I started with cheaper Gold's Gym ones from Walmart but they died quickly.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040EGNIU/

81%2BvsqACYpL._AC_SL1500_.jpg