Reverse dieting need help!

Options
So I recently lost some weight and my current calorie intake a day is 1100. I want to start reverse dieting to get my calories back up. If my resting metabolic rate is 1400, can I safely start eating 1400 calories without gaining weight or do I need to work my way up from 1100?

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I thought you shouldn't eat below your bmr, so maybe start there? What does mfp give you for maintaining your goal weight? You might see an uptick on the scale at first, from water and food, but it should even out.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Eating 1400 is working up from 1100.

Your RMR doesn't have a lot to do with your total calorie needs unless you are in fact resting all day.
  • PaintedPlay
    PaintedPlay Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Just remember not to freak out when you gain 5-10 lbs in glycogen weight! This is not fat and should not scare you.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Just remember not to freak out when you gain 5-10 lbs in glycogen weight! This is not fat and should not scare you.

The range starts at zero rather than 5lbs, especially for someone eating such a tiny amount.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options

Yeah, like sijomial said, very unlikely to be 10 pounds. Probably more like two pounds - which will just be water.

OP go to 1400 - minimum, but likely you need more than even 1400. Stick there for a month (unless you continue to lose, if so, go up to 1600.) 1400 is still very low and unless you are not moving all day long you're going to need much more than your RMR if you don't want to keep losing weight. You'll need to eat up to your TDEE for weight maintenance.

On this site that means you set your Goals based on your daily normal activity (your job/school/household chores) and then you eat MORE on days you exercise. Here's the explanation:

https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032625391-How-does-MyFitnessPal-calculate-my-initial-goals-
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,183 Member
    Options
    Unless you've had RMR determined via a lab test, it's only an educated guess. It's also an educated guess how many calories you burn during your daily exercises/activities. So I would suggest slowly increasing your calorie intake (increments of 100 cals maybe?) and checking the results. (it's nice to have that problem) :)