Unfit and training for 100k walk

blade2104
blade2104 Posts: 13 Member
edited November 2020 in Getting Started
Just returned back after many years of packing the pounds.

Unfortunately my mum was diagnosed with colon cancer whilst in 1st lock down. Cut long story short mum went through surgery and few months later was given all clear.

This got me thinking and I realised we take the simplest of things for granted especially health.

Mums strength and positive thinking has given me the inspiration to get fit and healthy.

So I signed up for a 100k walk in the cotswolds. 100k is bad enough but I decided to go one step further and do this continuously without sleep for the great cause of Charity.

Wish me look and feel free to add me.

Replies

• freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    I had to look up that in miles.... and 62 miles without sleep? Wow. How long are you expecting that to take you?
  • blade2104
    Hi, many years ago when I was quite a bit younger I did 28 miles in 8 hrs. I'm hoping to achieve a steady pace and finish it in 18 hrs.
  • PaintedPlay
    PaintedPlay Posts: 51 Member
    Be careful and make sure your goal will bless and inspire you, and not hurt or derail you.

My only advice is train for your goal but be willing to adjust it if needed.
  • blade2104
    Thank you for your message. Great advice i will certainly keep it in mind.

I have untill June to train so hopefully all will be good on the day. Training go well so far.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Great cause and a lovely part of the world too.

Best of luck and enjoy the views.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Great goal!
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Is it flat ground?? Paved road/sidewalk or is it a trail walk? I do a lot of hiking and I could never hike 62 miles in 18 hrs. I would also never attempt it because that’s just too much for me.

Best of luck!
  • blade2104
    The terrain across fields and off road foot paths. I did three peaks 30 mile challenge in 8 hrs. Average just under 4 mph. Obviously training is crucial but I'm reasonably confident. However I know its going to be the biggest challenge I've ever had.
  • Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    Where I live we also have a yearly 100km walk, we have to finish in 24hours. We start at 19h00, walk through the night and there are checkpoints where you can take a short rest and some meals. It is doable, but you need to train thoroughly and consistently.
    Personally, I never managed beyond the 70km as my hips start to freeze. With this Covid year we walked so much, maybe I'll try again next year august - if large gathering will be allowed by then.

I wish you all the luck @blade2104 and let us know how you did!