Stretch marks from ab workouts? Is it even possible?

Options
Idk if this belongs here but I recently started working out again after about a month of just being lax due to depression and stuff. I am a thin person and have never been overweight though when I do gain it tends to go towards my stomach. I think I have gained due to temporarily _kind of_ cheating on my caloric intake. I only do cardio and various ab workouts (variations of crunches and sit ups stuff like that). Could those be causing the marks on my stomach, its on the lower stomach area and they are very tiny and pale (due to my skin color being pale as well), they still make me insecure though. Throughout puberty, I have never gotten a single mark on my stomach and I gained weight a LOT during. I have some on my thighs and hips but I dont care about them in that area. I’m 21 btw

I should also add that I do have body dysmorphia and perhaps its just making me hyperfocus on that area more ... I want to work out but now I’m afraid that more stretch marks are gonna develop on my stomach which I know is crazy sounding. I have heard of people developing them when they are lifting weights but I’m not lifting at all. I’ll just stick to cardio and HIIT if thats whats causing them because I definitely do not want more on my stomach.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Stretch marks are caused by fat gains and weight loss. It's something that is hard to mitigate. If anything, you can use creams.

Also, weight lifting doesn't cause stretch marks. The only thing weight lifting will do is make you stronger, make your body more resilent and have a better looking body.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    pagophagia wrote: »
    Idk if this belongs here but I recently started working out again after about a month of just being lax due to depression and stuff. I am a thin person and have never been overweight though when I do gain it tends to go towards my stomach. I think I have gained due to temporarily _kind of_ cheating on my caloric intake. I only do cardio and various ab workouts (variations of crunches and sit ups stuff like that). Could those be causing the marks on my stomach, its on the lower stomach area and they are very tiny and pale (due to my skin color being pale as well), they still make me insecure though. Throughout puberty, I have never gotten a single mark on my stomach and I gained weight a LOT during. I have some on my thighs and hips but I dont care about them in that area. I’m 21 btw

I should also add that I do have body dysmorphia and perhaps its just making me hyperfocus on that area more ... I want to work out but now I’m afraid that more stretch marks are gonna develop on my stomach which I know is crazy sounding. I have heard of people developing them when they are lifting weights but I’m not lifting at all. I’ll just stick to cardio and HIIT if thats whats causing them because I definitely do not want more on my stomach.

I'm gonna go with the bolded.

I've been lifting heavy for years, and have never had stretch marks form because of it. All of my stretch marks are from growing, back in my teens.

• solegmnz89
    solegmnz89 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi dear, they might be a horomone thing, together with the change in excercise and or genetics. Have you visited a dermatologist? It breaks my heart to read you, I have a similar problem, white stretch marks overnight without anything significant enough to cause them. My skin is quite fair and delicate, if you are the girl in the pic I guess it's your case, too. Have you tried lasers? My advice if you have the same skin I do, don't waste money on prp, it didn't work. But ask your gp. And also, please let me know if anything worked for you :)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Stretch marks are caused by fat gains and weight loss. It's something that is hard to mitigate. If anything, you can use creams.

Also, weight lifting doesn't cause stretch marks. The only thing weight lifting will do is make you stronger, make your body more resilent and have a better looking body.
    In this case yes but not true for everyone.

Particularly lifters that are enhanced can experience stretch marks as well as some of the extreme sensitive responders to resistance training as well. It's from gaining muscle faster than the skin can keep up. I see it in my juiced gym all the time as I'm one of the few natties.

OP, I would worry about it from the info you gave.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Particularly lifters that are enhanced can experience stretch marks as well as some of the extreme sensitive responders to resistance training as well. It's from gaining muscle faster than the skin can keep up. I see it in my juiced gym all the time as I'm one of the few natties.

I get the feeling that won't apply to the OP.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options

Also, weight lifting doesn't cause stretch marks. The only thing weight lifting will do is make you stronger, make your body more resilient, and have a better-looking body.
    Not quite true because weightlifting can have you stretching joints through a range of motion you usually don't do. Like when I squat, I go ATG and the real only stretch marks I have are right above my knees. Genetics matter though in this matter I think.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Also, weight lifting doesn't cause stretch marks. The only thing weight lifting will do is make you stronger, make your body more resilient, and have a better-looking body.
    Not quite true because weightlifting can have you stretching joints through a range of motion you usually don't do. Like when I squat, I go ATG and the real only stretch marks I have are right above my knees. Genetics matter though in this matter I think.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Unlikely for the OP though who only does cardio and abs...
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Unlikely for the OP though who only does cardio and abs...

And hasn't been here since she posted.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

I get the feeling that won't apply to the OP.

I concur and stated that as well. My reply was just to note that your statement would not hold true as a general statement that weightlifting cannot cause stretch marks 👍.