What determines success?

Options
What is it that makes some people succeed and others not? It took me 8 months to lose 22lbs, from around 150 to 128. I exercise quite a lot, I eat fairly healthily, with some blips (chocolate blips, not fast food). I think that loss is fairly average speed-wise at my size. But during that I have seen some people take control of their diet and exercise and lose 50lbs in 6 months. I have seen others gain and lose the same lb repeatedly, and agonise about it, despite eating 1200 cals a day.

So why do some people lose so fast and others struggle? Is it just mindset?

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Bump Great post! I'm very interested to see responses. As someone that never struggled with weight until later in life and even then never became obese I've often wondered why people want to lose weight so badly, but don't. Or can't. Why do some people find it so hard and others find it so easy?
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I think this is my first official "bump"!
  • PBJunkie
    Options
    Patience and self discipline, without those two it is nearly impossible.
  • darsh11
    Options
    I have been one of the slow losers. I think for some people the weight does not magically fall off like for others. It takes time to lose the weight physically and mentally. When you are very overweight there might be a physical reason like slow thyroid, or no exercise, but 90% of what got you to the weight in the first place is your emotions and mental state. It is low self esteem, events that happened in your life, emotions that were not delt with and other things. I am also learning in my own journey that with an actual medical condition you have to work within your limits and not do things that fight your body. I have lost 55 lbs but it took me two years to do it. I still have 45 lbs to lose and just went to the nutritionist on Thursday and she made many adjustments to my diet and now I am hoping that my weight loss will get back on track again
  • tagmd
    Options
    I think genetics play a part - some people get brown eyes and "skinny" metabolisms - some people get poor vision and lots of acne - some get a genetic predisposition to being "overweight" or going bald or whatever.

Everybody's got to fight/accept/deal with something they were just plain born with.

I'm one of those "lucky" ones that you described as agonising about losing the same pound over and over again.

Try try again...
  • kym117
    kym117 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I think its all down to state of mind and determination to reach a goal by keeping focused on the end result.
  • cownancy
    Options
    Remember that everyone's metabolism is a bit different and with different heights and weights. People who have a lot of weight to lose often see large weight loss numbers during the first few months, while those who are closer to their ideal weight usually take a longer time to lose.

The types of food eaten, the activity level (new vs. old) also play into this. Once I can actually do meaningful exercise, my weight loss should be increased. This is why it's hard to compare your progress to someone else.

Continued good luck! You can do it!
  • Page2777
    Options
    i think as i am discovering weight lose isnt as simple as cutting down food and exercising you have to cut down the right way you need to look at your fat and carbs and protein too and you have to make sure you arent eating too little either the amount of people on here that arnt losing weight and cant understand why when they are only consuming 900kcals a day is crazy also as we all know looking at that scale every week can be so disheartening and as i have been told the more weight you lose the harder it is to shift the remaining weight and i think thats where most people fall down you lose a fair amount in the first couple of weeks when you are motivated then the scales slight to slow or even stop and so people get disappointed and give in i am exercising 6 times a week and with TOM here this week i have stood on the scales and nothing has changed its so disheartening coz i am working my butt off
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    depends on starting weight and bf %, the leaner you get the harder it is to lose. Also the longer you've been on a diet, the harder it is to continue to lose without some changes, as your body adapts
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Personally for me: I was able to lose 90 pounds in about 6 months....Now let me say this...I am only 5 9 and weighed 246.2 when I started. So I had a LOT to loose. I can tell you if I would try to starting loosing weight now (im 155.2) It would take a LOT longer, as I have much less to "rid".

For me, it was a package deal I had to change my mindset, eating habits, and exercise habits(well I needed to start exercisng in general). I needed to be paitent with myself and others around me. I didn't gain all that over night, and since the only real way (in my opinon) to keep it off, is diet and exercise, I surely wouldn't lose it over night.

Looking back, Im not proud of where I started, but I am proud of where I am today. That is MY success. What works for me, may not work for others. Im surely no doctor!! :)
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    If you're eating the same things and doing the same amount of activity, then it's a matter of metabolism. Our metabolisms change as we get older, too. Age is a cruel mistress indeed.

My son eats HUGE portions about 6 times a day and is relatively active. He eats crap at least 50% of the time, because his dad doesn't give a crap about nutrition when he visits. Yet, my son constantly and consistently comes in underweight at his yearly checkups.

My nephew eats healthy about 95% of the time and is just about as active as my son and he's a little chunker.

Until I hit my 30's, I was always able to eat most anything and stayed quite thin. My son's father, when we were together, ate almost the same things as I did and he was morbidly obese, but he'd always been chunky his entire life.
  • grovesjej
    Options
    I have never had a problem with being overweight. I eat healthy, but by no means have ever "watched" what I eat. Only now, approaching 40, have I noticed that it is easier for me to put on a couple extra pounds (which actually has only placed me right in the middle of my BMI range). All my life people have constantly commented on my weight and size (being tall and thin) and were always frustrated to hear that I don't do a lot other than normal healthy eating and daily activities - and I am a big sweet eater.

So to answer your question, I am sorry to say, that I do believe A LOT of weight tendencies are simply genetic - how tall you are to balance the weight, your metabolism, and how you burn and carry fat. Unfortunately (easy for me to say since I am not one of them!), it seems one person can eat the exact same thing as another and lose or gain weight totally different based on their genetic make-up.

As I was reading my post, I realized that my comments make it seem hopeless if you don't have the "right" genes. Obviously the goal is to be healthy and what I was trying to say is that is different for every person. I know it is natural to compare your progress to others, but it can also be very frustrating and almost impossible. I think the best thing a person can do is try to look at other people's progress as a motivator (even if your weight loss isn't as big or fast) and know that if you keep at it, you'll get there too.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    depends on starting weight and bf %, the leaner you get the harder it is to lose. Also the longer you've been on a diet, the harder it is to continue to lose without some changes, as your body adapts

But it often appears to be people with quite a lot to lose who are struggling (though they can also be the ones who lose very fast). I have seen the exact same diet (usually low carb) work amazingly for some people and not at all for others.
  • lennykat
    Options
    I think our desire for "instant gratification" is the major culprit. In today's society with instant access thanks to the internet, microwave meals, faster cars, ATMs-- the list goes on and on-- we can get what we want when we want it at the blink of an eye. So-- why shouldn't it be the same with weight loss?

I'm one of those lucky ones who lose the same 5lbs over and over and I admit that I'm one of the instant gratification junkies. I feel like I've eaten good for a couple of weeks, worked my *kitten* off at the gym so there- I should be 40lbs lighter and look like a super model. When it doesn't happen I get all moody and depressed and I eat. It's a bad relationship with food as well as an unhealthy look at the reality of weight loss.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    There are lots of fad diets and pills that can make you lose weight fast but most of that is not healthy. So many things go into weight loss: genetics, the food you eat, exercise, stress. Since every one is different, each person must find the right combination of healthy foods, exercise and stress relief. You need to know what genetic issues you are up against. Sometimes, it is trial and error to see what works. Once you figure that out, make a plan stick to it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I would have to agree with this. People often trade what they want in the long run - to be thin/healthy- for what they want right now, chocolate/junk food. i'm not saying i never have treats or cheats or whatever you want to call them, but how many posts do you read about 'i do really well all week and relax over the weekend, and i cant lose this final 10 pounds...'
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options

I also agree with this