Convection Oven vs. Air Fryer

Options
PKM0515
PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
Is there any reason to have both a convection oven AND an air fryer?

I have a Hamilton Beach convection oven (a gift), but I'm really tempted by the Power XL air fryer.

Replies

• sakurablossoms82
    sakurablossoms82 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    The Airfryer is just a small oven. Since we the Philips Airfryer I hardly use the normal oven we have. As long as it fits in the airfryer it goes in the airfryer. Not only for french fries but also for bread, veggies, taco's etc. It's easy and fast.

If you are just using it for yourself and now you heat up the normal oven for just one portion of french fries or to make toast or whatever I would get an airfryer. If you need to feed more then 2 people I think it might be a waste as the airfryer is to small for more then 2 portions usually.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Thanks for clearing it up!
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I'm sticking with my convection oven, at least for now. :)
  • LunaTheFatCat
    LunaTheFatCat Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    We only added an air fryer a few monthys ago (Ninja) and I have to say, it's brilliant. We love our roast dinners in the weekend, and where roast potatoes took over an hour, they're done in 20 minutes now and beautifully crispy.
    It's not a need to have, but once you do....
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,624 Member
    Options
    We only added an air fryer a few monthys ago (Ninja) and I have to say, it's brilliant. We love our roast dinners in the weekend, and where roast potatoes took over an hour, they're done in 20 minutes now and beautifully crispy.
    It's not a need to have, but once you do....

I do a full Sunday roast for 4 in the air fryer and mine is the tiny Phillips Viva. Takes about 20 minutes at 200C. A 600g piece of roast beef, potatoes par boiled for 2-4 minutes in salted water and some thinly sliced root vegetables such as carrot or parsnip tossed in olive oil. Put the root vegetables under the basket, then the basket holding roast beef, and top with the par boiled potatoes shaken in some fat. Give everything a toss and turn at the halfway point. If you want a wider selection of veg sautee something like spinach on the stove once everything is in the air fryer maybe make a tomato salad.
  • sakurablossoms82
    sakurablossoms82 Posts: 62 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Wow a complete meal for 4 in an airfryer. That won't fit in mine.. Or maybe it does depending on what kind of meal. And we have the Philips XXL.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,624 Member
    Options
    Wow a complete meal for 4 in an airfryer. That won't fit in mine.. Or maybe it does depending on what kind of meal. And we have the Philips XXL.

I use a 600g boneless roast beef and cut the potatoes bite size so they slip into the sides around the meat, mostly. At the halfway point you can also put the potatoes under the meat so the beef browns better. The trick is utilize the space *under* the basket for roast veg. My model has almost 2 cm clearance for thin disks of carrots or parsnip. But maybe we are simply not big eaters in my household.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    the term "air fryer" is amazing piece of marketing. It's just a stove-top electric oven, very much like a "toaster over" or a "convection oven." It can make sense if you have small meals to cook, but it isn't doing anything different from any oven.