Monthly budget for supplements

Options
JonasUk
JonasUk Posts: 1 Member
Hi all,

I have an interesting question in my mind that I need to ask from this community - I believe many of you have this in your mind as well. I was wondering what is your monthly budget for supplements? I live in the UK, and I've just committed to 3 months of intensive training, and I'll definitely be using supplements. I earn about £30K a year (I take home about £1.9K a month), and I'd like to allocate around £200/month for supplements. Is that a reasonable sum? I believe that the financial commitment will also motivate me to work even harder, as it's a tangible commitment as well.

Looking forward to hearing your opinions :)

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I personally think it's a boring question, maybe because I don't spend any money on supplements :/

I spend less than 200 pounds on food per month :s
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Why do you need or think you need supplements? That seems like a lot of money to spend on supplements.

The only supplements I take are for things I'm deficient in and whey protein.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    200 seems really excessive. I spend $50-$70 a month on supplements (multivitamin, biotin, ON whey) and that's all I really "need". You could honestly get everything from food but some people (myself included) use supplements as safety nets/easy routes.

Even training hard I couldn't think of anything you would need 200 for. Whey to make sure you hit your protein and a multi to make sure you don't run deficient on anything. Maybe creatine if you want but your talking another $5 a month. Most other supplements have been shown to be a waste of money or still quasi-science.
  • HowUdish
    HowUdish Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Rather than allocating a certain portion of your budget to supplements I'd focus on identifying which supplements you'd like to use and then choosing the best accordingly. To me 200 seems a bit much as supplement wise I generally only use vitamins and protein and occasionally some creatine which will in total cost me less than 50 per month. Depending on your goals you may want to use other supplements but focus on getting all your nutrients from food before spending on extra supplements. Another suggestion I have is perhaps rather than spending all 200 on supplements you can use it on other health related items like bodyfat testing, personal training sessions, gym clothes, etc.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you call a "supplement." I eat protein powder almost every day. I don't take any pills or other things generally regarded as supplements, as they aren't necessary for good nutrition unless you have a diagnosed deficiency. So $0, unless you count protein powder.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The sales aisle at the pharmacy. I limit myself to the types of supplements I am short in. What vitamins are you short?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    What supplements would you b buying for all that money? I take fish oil, vitamin D, and protein powder. Doubt it's even that much per year.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Unless you're deficient in something, save that money for real food. Maybe protein powders if you're struggling to hit protein. Who is selling you on the idea that you need that many supplements? Your gym, a trainer?
  • Lesscookies12
    Lesscookies12 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel the neee to spend that much? If I were you I'd re-evaluate things.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    What on earth do you think you need to be supplementing?

The majority of the things you need are in the food that you eat, unless you are deficient in something or struggle getting it in food, there isn't any real need to be supplementing anything.

I take a couple of vitamin supplements for health reasons they set me back less than £10 per month and I order maybe £30 of stuff every 2-3 months from MyProtein and a £20 box of protein bars a month from Amazon because I like them and prefer those to buying normal chocolate for a snack to supplement my protein intake when I struggle to hit my macros.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Lets see
    B-$8 a month
    CoQ10-6
    Turmeric-15
    Cinnamon-8
    SaM-e 15
    Fish oil 12
    Glucosamine 20
    Beta Alanine 5
    Water flavors-20
    Creatine 15
    Citrulline 8

Under 100. And much of that is for joint ache/pain that is chronic since I can't take aspirin/Motrin.

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    I only supplement what I don't get through diet
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    It seems a bit excessive to me, but I'd personally rather spend the extra money on decent food. I've never been one for supplements and it's never given me problems with training.

I currently buy a multivitamin that's like £6 and I have protein powder in the house that was £20 I think, but I rarely use it as I get what I need through food so it lasts me forever. That's not a monthly spend.

I mean if you have the money spare it's up to you how you feel best spending it, I just think that the supplement industry pushes more on people than they actually need. Plus from what I've seen, financial commitments don't always help people push harder, that's why gyms make so much money off people paying but never going.

If you're relatively new to training I'd recommend getting into a solid routine, tracking your intake (what you eat and how you feel) then once you're already training consistently you can look back on previous sessions and food and see if there's anything you might benefit from and go from there. Quality sleep, enough food and a focus on recovery will do a lot more than it's given credit for when training intensively.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    I get your line of thinking in using money as an extra motivator, but spending that much coin on supplements is largely a waste. There are more productive ways to use that money as a motivator; if you can set aside that much each month put it into a separate savings account or give it to a trusted friend to where you won't be able to access it unless you stay accountable, then do something out of the ordinary with that cash or double down and do it again.

Depending on your goal(s) for this period of "intensive training" at most get some protein powder (myprotein is basic and pretty cheap), maybe some creatine, omega-3s or anything your deficient in (B, D, Mg?). Most things beyond that are gimmicks.

Priorities to focus on: Eat quality food in amounts requisite to your goals (gaining/losing weight), train with focus/intensity, and take care of your body with proper sleep and recovery.
  • PaintedPlay
    PaintedPlay Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    When you say supplements are you really meaning replacements?
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    A thought— if you think spending $$ will help with motivation, use the $$ for something to help you get there, or something you’ll enjoy once you get there. A new outfit, a bike, a vacation?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,395 Member
    Options
    davisp937 wrote: »
    I usually spend about $ 120 on various vitamins and supplements. These are mainly b6, b12, a, d, c, zinc, magnesium, creatine, protein , bcaa, pre-workout and so on. Since vitamins and food supplements are important for human health, you need to choose carefully stores, brands and brands of different food additives, as if they are of poor quality, it can very seriously affect you. One day I bought various supplements at a store in my city, and then I went to the hospital with an upset stomach and various troubles

This is a ghost thread. But that aside: there are some supplements that one should only take when deficient - and then in medical quality as taking them on a whim might mask an actual deficiency. B12 is one of them. If you were deficient and went for a blood test now: your gp would not spot the deficiency and you would not benefit from the pills at all and as a result get sick(er). B6 is one of those that should not be supplemented, or only in less than 20mg per day as it's neurotoxic.