feeling kind of bad..

Options
When I was younger, I was pretty thin. When I graduated high school, I weighed about 130 pounds. I wasn't "skinny" by any means, but thinner and healthy. When I got the college, the weight started to add on, but still, not terrible. I wasn't living in a dorm or anything, I was commuting back and forth from my parents house, so I was still eating relatively healthy. As I got older, more and more weight came on. My weight flucuated, and I'd randomly get into exercise and watching what I was eating. It seems like every time I start watching what I'm eating, my "highest weight" was even higher than it was before. Years ago, my highest weight was 145, then 150, then 155, then 157, etc. Now, after not one pair of pants fitting me, I'm back to wanting to lose weight. My husband and I just got married in May. I won't blame my weight gain on my marriage, my husband is very supportive, I guess I just got comfortable with eating whatever I wanted because I was so busy. I just started this past Tuesday, so I wasn't expecting a mircle already, but I feel like my hard work is for nothing. I feel no difference at all yet. I didn't weigh myself when I first started on Tuesday because we don't have a scale, but I can guessimate where I started, and was figuring it was 165. Well, we have a scale at my work, and I stepped on and I actually weigh 168. I know it's only 3 pounds heavier than I guessimated, but I guess I was hoping it'd be lower than that since I've been doing so good these past few days. I just get frustrated because I'm eating right (very different than even a week ago) and I've been doing Jillian Michaels 30-day shred consistantly. Sometimes I feel like this is all for nothing, so I guess I'd just like some motivation and to be told I'm being silly about being upset with no change right now. Thanks everyone!

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    How long did it take you to gain the weight? It doesn't miraculously go away. You didn't weigh yourself at the beginning. You may have lost 1,2,5 pounds, and won't know because you didn't have that initial baseline. It takes time, it takes effort. One week isn't enough to get discouraged and throw it all away.
  • afigueroa_pr
    Options
    Hi!
    First of all congratulations on your lifestyle change. It is always a big step toward a healthier life.
    As for the results everyone is different. Some people lose 2 pounds a week others 5 pounds, some don't lose at all.
    Look at me. This week I actually gained weight, but according to my nutritionist it was all water and muscle mass. I actually lost fat last week while exercising.
    Just keep up the work and don't forget that we have a community here that can support each other and help each other.
    Keep in touch, I would love to hear how your weight loss goes!
  • starboardzor
    Options
    If you're honest with yourself and this website, you will see a change in the next couple weeks. A couple days? Probably not... but you're not looking for a quick fix right?
  • tkirkes
    tkirkes Posts: 121
    Options
    Just so you know... I only lost 1lb the entire month that I did Jillian Michaels Shred. However I lost a total of 8.8 inches. Don't get to down on yourself maybe your losing some inches and ya just not realizing it. Our stories sound quiet similar. Have a great day! Keep up what your doing you'll get there!!! : )
  • kellle
    Options
    I know how you feel--I have tried umpteen dozen times then get frustrated & bored. I often look for any excuse to have something. My fear is I am addicted to fat & carbs. Crave carbs!! I am from the health care field & know how bad the fat is for me. When I see my picture I could cry!! Over the past 4 yrs I have gained 10 lbs /yr. This time I'm going to try to not let myself get down if the weight loss isn't up to my expectations. We'll both have to just keep trying!!! Good Luck.
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    You haven't even been at this a week and MFP is only set to help you lose 2 lbs/week at most. You're not going to see drastic results right away. Keep plugging away though. You're doing great. This is a lifestyle change. Don't go back to your old way. Keep working out. Do you notice you sleep better when you work out? Feel less stressed? Focus on those things. If you wanna concentrate on numbers, up your water intake and you'll lose a ton of water weight. AND water is great for your skin! Don't give up though.
  • shannonevan
    shannonevan Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! I really appreciate it all. I've done MFP many times, and have lost weight pretty quickly, so I guess I was hoping on this this time. But yes, my problem is I don't drink enough water. Off to the water fountain, I go! :smile:
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Its not going to happen overnight...or even in a few days. You didn't gain all the weight that fast, and unfortunately, it takes longer to lose it. Stick with it and utilize this great site...the change will happen if you work for it.

If there was a quick and easy way, we'd all be skinny!
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Fiirst, not to be rude at all, but you guestimated your starting weight... so when you weighed yourself at work, you may have actually lost weight from your START point, but you don't actually know. I do know that I guestimate my weight to be less than it is... always have (and fortunately, so do other people!)... so you may have as well.

Second, you've only been at this for one week. Give your body the chance to recognize the changes you've incorporated. A month at any change is necessary before your body says OH, I SEE NOW!

Third, this is a journey, not a sprint. You will see loss and possibly even gain throughout your journey. This is a healthy way of living, not a crash diet. You've got to fight that "I must lose XX pounds per week" mindset if you want to truly succeed.

Stay motivated. Stay on track. Don't worry about not following a "diet". Keep your eye on the prize and this will work.