I am hungry and it is 1:25 am.

Options
Ok i'm not so much hungry, im just not full and slipping into a carb coma. I feel like I have energy vibrating every cell of my body and it is keeping me from sleep.

Is this a normal response to starting a low carb diet? Can anyone explain why I may feel like this?

I only started tracking and limmiting my carbs and cals on friday. (limmiting carbs because they are easiest for me to bing on)

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Some people do report increased energy or trouble getting to sleep when they begin restricting calories. I hope you were able to get some rest.
  • PaintedPlay
    PaintedPlay Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    still havent slept... I feel manic and that scares me because I know a crash always follows that. think tonight i will take a hot bath and sip some hot herbal tea to help me reestablish a sleep schedule
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I can't do low carb for that very reason.

Carbs work on the neurotransmitters...and low carb makes me very anxious.

Why are you doing low carb? I feel okay on low-ish carb (like 125-150g a day) and can lose weight pretty easily on that level. Anything lower sets off anxiety. Are you getting extra salt? Because that's another issue with low carb and it affects the heart rate and nervous system to be low on salt. Try eating a pickle or a handful of salted something or other like olives or some deli meat.
  • PaintedPlay
    Options
    I find that if I keep my carbs below ~80g my joint pain goes away and I have more rational control over my cravings.

Yes I have upped my sodium, all my electrolytes to be honest, without the carbs it can be easy to dehydrate.

I will see how tonight goes. If I still can’t sleep I will have to adjust my macros a bit.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options

Why are you doing low carb? I feel okay on low-ish carb (like 125-150g a day) and can lose weight pretty easily on that level. Anything lower sets off anxiety. Are you getting extra salt? Because that's another issue with low carb and it affects the heart rate and nervous system to be low on salt. Try eating a pickle or a handful of salted something or other like olives or some deli meat.

I think carbs cause serotonin release that converts to melatonin? Could try a melatonin supplement. I suggest you ask your PCP first.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »

I think carbs cause serotonin release that converts to melatonin? Could try a melatonin supplement. I suggest you ask your PCP first.

Everything I know about serotonin, I learned on tumblr.

Which is basically hot guys raise it.

Now if that guy came with carbs.... :)
  • PaintedPlay
    Options
    Ok think I figured out my issues. I think caffeine hits me stronger and longer when I reduce my carbs. I got rid of my 2 pm energy drink and my coke with dinner and I have been able to get to sleep at a reasonable time.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

I'm not hot, but I do have carbs...... ;)
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

I'm not hot, but I do have carbs...... ;)

Hello, love of my life. :)