How do you track alcohol consumption?

Options
2»

Replies

• katharineshalia
    katharineshalia Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding me? Beer and soda are major contributions to my own personal weight gain. Track it! You'll be surprised.
  • Perixi
    Perixi Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have a drinks tab for fruit juice and alcohol etc.
  • ccburn5
    ccburn5 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I added a seperate tab for "Adult Beverages" thanks to a fellow members set up after looking at it. Its amazing how those calories will double and triple any food intake if you have a fair amount of drinks (5-6) or so. Since I only drink 1-2 times a week at most, I take it for what it is, an earned splurge every now and then and move on with it.
  • NKekiv
    NKekiv Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When you drink alcohol all food after eating it upto 16 hours i think gets stored rather than burned. This is because the body is getting rid of the alcohol which is technically a poison. I dont think your body actually stores alcohol calories.

This is how i understand it at least. But ultimately get rid of that crap at least until you reach your goal.
  • Krooker2
    Krooker2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You are close. Alcohol will take priority as a fuel for your body. It jumps in front of your other fuels which include you most recently consumed food and your existing stored fat. If you cannot burn all the alcohol you just consumed, your body will not burn the food you just ate and it will be stored - as fat - for later. Many alcoholic drinks contain carbs and they can be turned to fat if not burned. Also, alcohol can change the way your body burns fat. My suggestion is to dedicate non-alcohol days and on days when you have the need to have two or more, keep the carbs low...but this may lead to a faster absorption rate so drink at home! Develop a 'rules-based' program...decide in advance how you are going to finish the day. Good luck.
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I try to limit it to 1-2 drinks, and not daily, that's for sure. Rather enjoy red wine, but am happy with one with a dinner. I guess binge eating carbs has been more of a problem with my added weight, rather than the ones I drink. Easier to stay disciplined, when I don't drink at all!!
  • Elphaba1313
    Elphaba1313 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    MichPace8 wrote: »
    If you are really trying to loose weight you need to kick the alcohol to the curb! Have a drink for a cheat or on a re-feed day. It is empty calories that adds up quick! I'd rather have a candy bar than a martini if I had to choose!!
    Michelle, CPT

And I’d rather have a glass of wine than a candy bar. It’s all personal choice. I have wine each evening, which I log, and am still losing. So no, you don’t have to “kick alcohol to the curb”

I also question your use of “cheat”, in addition to your sanctimony.

• yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I used to...but for some reason it kept getting harder as the night went on 🤔
  • marty916fl
    marty916fl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm not affiliated at all with Jeff C but here's a great video on bodyfat, eating right, and the "ok-ness" of alcohol depending on goals, etc. https://youtu.be/MY6nKL59L1o
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I’ve renamed my meals to Morning, Afternoon, and Evening, and log any alcohol in the appropriate time of day of consumption.

The eating pattern that works best for me is to save alcohol and sweets for one day a week as a treat. I still fit them into my weekly calorie goals, so it’s not cheating. Personal choice based on personal health goals (which includes more than weight loss for me).