What exactly do people mean when they say stretch marks "fade" over time?

Options
What exactly do people mean when they say stretch marks "fade" over time? Just in color, or also narrower and less deep/indented?

Replies

• PaintedPlay
    PaintedPlay Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    color is taken care of with time, narrower comes when you lose weight and the skin isnt streched as tightly
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    Stretch marks often start out an angry red color, and with time turn silvery. Here, I've heard then called tiger stripes on some threads. There are past threads with pics, if I remember right.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    <---- My stomach is faded stretch marks over time after 6 kids.
  • PremGandhi
    PremGandhi Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    They kind of match in color with that of the nearby skin. I am a guy and I had stretch marks (lol) on my arms and tummy when I gained too much weight. It's been 7 -8 years since then, lost weight too and only I can spot them up close and not in the mirror, only direct close view with naked eyes. In fact I kinda like feel of the zigzag pattern of the marks now haha.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    In my experience, they just fade in color. I had a few that were reddish that have since faded to look like a normal scar.
  • lillyblack1982
    lillyblack1982 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    The color fades. I got a ton of them on my hips and butt when I hit puberty and my hips widened. I have very very pale skin and they were reddish-purple, very noticeable (just what a 12 year old wants, right?). After a year or two they faded to the same color as the surrounding skin. It’s been ~25 years and I still have them. They’re still the same size and depth, and haven’t changed in color since they originally faded. They’re not obvious from far away but up close they’re still very noticeable.