Low Impact Workouts for Beginners

Options
Hello! I am looking for some low impact workouts. If you know of a program or videos possibly on youtube etc. please share the info. I need workouts that are for beginners, but that will get me results (not just in losing weight, but in toning & building up muscle strength). I don’t work out, and have pretty much been sedentary. So if you have any tips or recommendations, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks in advance.

Replies

• CajunTess
    CajunTess Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    If you like to dance, try Body Groove. You can find my playlist for youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0GGn5wj0YQ&list=PLUsfotATwnjLUq7tqJUKw8qqHVtadKBOU
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    There are a ton of "Beginner" bodyweight workouts on YouTube, but many of them are a joke because they are NOT beginner workouts. This is a good beginner one for basic toning and building a base of strength for other things.

This is what I would term a safe beginner workout. Challenging but effective for someone that has been sedentary.

Realize that "results" come from consistency, diet tracking and not getting injured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W9B2ffnO5c&feature=emb_title
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    If you're on YouTube, try Fitness Blender. They have a ton of beginner type low impact stuff.
  • Shayy01
    Shayy01 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    @CajunTess @MikePfirrman @briscogun Thank you for the workout recommendations! I am looking forward to trying them out.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone walking workouts are low impact: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVl6ZdslZz2Zj-34bMJFPbg

Jessica Smith has many low impact videos too: https://jessicasmithtv.com/
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I like popsugar. On their own website as well as YouTube. I like the instructors and they usually have 3 people working out. The leader showing the moves and one to do a modification and one showing an advance move.

If you're not familiar with certain exercises I would look for some instructional videos first.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    If the weather is nice where you are, walking outside is low-impact, free, and requires no equipment beyond a pair of shoes.
  • crowsknoll
    crowsknoll Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    bebeisfit wrote: »
    I like popsugar. On their own website as well as YouTube. I like the instructors and they usually have 3 people working out. The leader showing the moves and one to do a modification and one showing an advance move.

If you're not familiar with certain exercises I would look for some instructional videos first.

They also have a ton of fun low-impact dancing workouts that showcase different trainers! Most of them have their own programs so if there is a specific trainer or video you like, you can follow them for more videos/workouts like that one.
  • RashadLavelle
    RashadLavelle Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Shayy01 wrote: »
    Hello! I am looking for some low impact workouts. If you know of a program or videos possibly on youtube etc. please share the info. I need workouts that are for beginners, but that will get me results (not just in losing weight, but in toning & building up muscle strength). I don’t work out, and have pretty much been sedentary. So if you have any tips or recommendations, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks in advance.

I recommend to do a subscription with Beach Body on Demand or at least try it out for free. It has tons of low impact workouts. If not, then try searching YouTube for Pilates, Yoga, or Low Impact workouts. There's honestly too many to choose from. Find a program that resonates with you. If you want to tone up, then Strength training and resistance training is the way to go. There's also beginners calisthenics where you use your own body weight to tone up. If you see the body and shape of many calisthenics people, they are nicely toned.

• Scotty2HotPie
    Scotty2HotPie Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid of lifting weights.

Light to Modest weight, usually dumbbells - Done in a controlled motion with higher reps, is a fantastic workout. There's infinite possibilities and building muscle is a great way to boost metabolism.
  • 142jmh
    142jmh Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Bodyfit by Amy on youtube! She has a masters in exercise science as well as a bunch of training credentials. She has a beginners playlist, including chair workouts, in depth how-to, low impact, and more. Her other videos also have a ton of low-impact options. I highly recommend her workouts!
  • ariane78mmm
    ariane78mmm Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Joanna soh on YouTube has beginners to extreme. I try to use her cause I need low impact. The videos only have her in them. Mostly using your own body weight to workout.