Is it time to stop?

Options
After 6 months of hard work, I have gone from 73kg (about 11st 8 or 162lb) to 63 (about 9st 13 or 138lb). I'm 172cm (which is apparently 5ft 73/4", so just under 5ft8".

My waist measures about 27", with hips and chest both at 36". My BMI has gone from 24.9 to 21.

I have now hit a plateau where I do not seem to be able to lose any more weight without killing myself in the gym (which I am not keen on). I have always struggled with low self esteem and a warped body image and I am wondering if perhaps this is still the case and maybe I should just stop and concentrate on maintenance and heatlh.

I suppose the question really is - would you stop now if it were you?

Replies

• Barbj56
    Barbj56 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Stop and work on toning your body....you've done great. I too reached that point and am happy now:)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    36-27-36 is a very sexy figure!! I can only tell you what I'd do, and I'd stop and do everything in my power to stay right there. Great job!!
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Just go into maintenance mode!!!! This lifestyle NEVER stops!!!! You still need to make sure that you wont gain all the weight back.
  • kerriknox
    kerriknox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't stop, just change my focus. Start eating more and weightlifting to put on some more muscle. It will raise your metabolism AND make you more confident in your body
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I would.

It might be worth a check-in with your doctor to make sure all vital signs are where they should be, but the thing about losing weight and seeing those numbers go down (especially when you're struggling w/ low self esteem and body image issues) is that it can be pretty addictive, leading you to be unsafe. I'm not saying you're there now, mind, but...yeah. It's not worth going there.

Just my two cents. Well done on all your hard work!
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    well i'm sure if you're questioning whether you should stop then you know you've lost enough. you've made huge progress and well done for it, focus on maintaining the weight you are and don't spend all the time in the gym just keep an eye on your food/exercise balance and you'll be fine!!
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Stop and work on toning your body....you've done great. I too reached that point and am happy now:)

This.... you're at a great point... just tone to stay fit!
  • Sweet_Southern_Tea
    Options
    It you really are 36-27-36 then you should be focusing on toning like others stated and maintaining your current. Sometimes we are a lot harder on ourselves than we need to be. Unless you are trying to become a size zero (which I hope not) you need to focus on strength training.
  • iheartfoodmore
    iheartfoodmore Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    First, you have to do what is right for you! Your measurments are great! Maybe you should stop trying to lose weight...and work on gaining a positive mental image of yourself and keeping the weight off/down. Freeing yourself of the burden of losing may help you focus on accepting and learning to love your body! Look at all you have accomplished and move to the next level... maintaining and enjoying the new you!!
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose more weight and are at a plateau, you need to eat more food. Especially if you are working as hard as you say you are at the gym.
  • sjstocker
    Options
    I would.

It might be worth a check-in with your doctor to make sure all vital signs are where they should be, but the thing about losing weight and seeing those numbers go down (especially when you're struggling w/ low self esteem and body image issues) is that it can be pretty addictive, leading you to be unsafe. I'm not saying you're there now, mind, but...yeah. It's not worth going there.

I think this hits the nail on the head.....when I started this I wanted to be the weight I am now - under 10st was my 'dream weight' if you like. But I just don't feel like I thought I would feel when I reached this weight and a size 10 (UK - us size 6). Now I am thinking 'ugh, I still look fat, I want to be under 9st'. I am concerned that I will NEVER be satisfied. I know I CAN lose more weight, even if it takes a lot of time - plateau's are part of the dieting process, but it's really whether I should that is bothering me.
  • rachel1496
    Options
    i don't know if I would stop but I think I'd take a break for a while. Switch to maintenance and weight training for the next little while, give yourself a month to live in your new body and then at the end of the month decide if you're happy where you are or if you want to keep going.
  • Monika135
    Options
    I would.

I think this hits the nail on the head.....when I started this I wanted to be the weight I am now - under 10st was my 'dream weight' if you like. But I just don't feel like I thought I would feel when I reached this weight and a size 10 (UK - us size 6). Now I am thinking 'ugh, I still look fat, I want to be under 9st'. I am concerned that I will NEVER be satisfied. I know I CAN lose more weight, even if it takes a lot of time - plateau's are part of the dieting process, but it's really whether I should that is bothering me.

BOTTOM LINE is this:

How do you feel? Question yourself and not others about what is going to make YOU happy? (although you fear "never to be satisfied"). You shouldn't have to kill yourself at the gym either, not ever, I mean what fun is that? This is a lifetime, life style change you are making, so be sure you get to the bottom of your true happiness.
    One of our MFP peeps above said "Change your focus" ...and I completely agree! Instead of being so concerned with the scale at this point in your journey, focus on your overall health...your energy level...and enjoying the things you do to maintain your weight or lose a couple more pounds (since you are unsure). Please take a few minutes and appreciate yourself and who you are as a person, I'm sure your wonderful and possess great qualities...focus on those things and kick that poor body image crap to the curb!

*note* I don't mean to sound harsh....just a little tough-love..
  • mrivera713
    mrivera713 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    ((After Reading Everyone's Responses) So proud of us.... MFP is the place to be.)

Congratulations on reaching your goal! ~Throws confetti all around you~

Keep us in the loop as to what your doctor says. Let us know what your new goal is gonna be, so we can keep cheering you on. Wherever your road is gonna lead you to next, I'd like to watch you continue to grow and conquer.