How did you stop eating at night?

Options
After a cardio workout I always end up eating something at night. Does anyone have any tips that worked for you in overcoming the temptation of eating at night?

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I purposely eat a meal about 9-10 pm, so I’ll sleep through the night, not wake up at 2 am hungry.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,714 Member
    Options
    I plan my meals and have a routine. I eat at night before bed. I have for years. I have no desire to change other than what and how much. I work mostly evenings and go to gym after work. Im at my goal and just wanting to maintain. I just make sure my calories fit. If I try to eat more during the day I end up struggling at night.
    It's important to fuel your body not just before but after a workout. Muscles need nutrients to rebuild. It would be best to eat foods that nourish and won't keep you restless. I have a container of tofu, plant protein or very occasionally old fashioned rolled oats. I make my plant protein with hot water and almond milk like a hot chocolate. Maybe try that and then you can not stress over it. Really its what you do inside the 24 hours in a day fora calorie deflict, balance, etc.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I assume you are eating back your exercise calories so unless you are eating them before your exercise in anticipation I'm not seeing the problem?

You have earned them so why is it a "temptation" rather than a very reasonable need?
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I didn't change. I like to eat right before bed. I have 90% of my calories 1-2 hours before bed with my last bite a few minutes before falling asleep lol. That is when I am hungriest too.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner around 8 or 8:30 every night. Eating at night isn't an issue.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    After dinner (which is around 6.30-7) I don't eat anything else, but thats my preference - there's nothing wrong with eating in the evening, its all about the calories in rather than WHEN they go in.
    If you're hungry save calories for a snack after your evening workout.
  • derekoh1234
    derekoh1234 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i eat dinner around 5ish and then i usually have a bowl of popcorn and a protein bar between 9 and 1030. Personally i use to eat alot of my calories and night and its a hard habit to break so i just switched up what i eat instead of trying to not eat at that time.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I don't eat after 7 PM, but that's because it's part of my GERD "prescription". I just accept it as the way life has to be. Hunger or desire for food doesn't matter. Mostly my body/brain has gotten used to it.

Honestly, I miss coffee and soda much more than I miss evening snacking.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I don't eat anything after 6PM. Like bold_rabbit above, this was mostly about solving my acid reflux issues. It was so bad that I'd actually aspirated in my sleep on two separate occasions. Mega-scary!

Since I am still losing weight, by 6PM I've already eaten my daily calories, but I sometimes have a huge travel mug of green tea right after dinner which keeps me feeling full for the rest of the evening.

I keep a tea station with an electric kettle in my bedroom suite so that I am not tempted to go grazing in the kitchen.

• wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I was getting acid reflux and got hypnotized and have not eaten solid food after dinner in 9 years.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    senalay788 wrote: »
    I was getting acid reflux and got hypnotized and have not eaten solid food after dinner in 9 years.

Seriously, pretty much every single one of your posts WTF????

My stalker is back.
  • violaesmith85
    violaesmith85 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I wont say its hunger for me, but mindless appetite probably, but yeah it hits hard at night for me so i'm just trying to save calories for then. I'm least hungry in the morning (probably because I eat at night lol) so I push back my first meal till usually 4-6 hours after I wake up.
  • chuckle_bunny
    chuckle_bunny Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Make dinner your largest meal of the day. Have a snack a few hours later if you want. If you're feeling ravenous at night, your body is pleading for nourishment. Maybe do your cardio earlier in the day.
  • silverpl2525
    silverpl2525 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast so I can eat later at night.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    I've been foot-dragging on my workouts lately, getting them in very late (like 10PM and after), then eating dinner around midnight, shortly before bed.

I'm not suggesting this as a good process for others, but I'd observe 2 things about late eating: (1) my long-term experience suggests it has zero practical impact on weight management (when calories equal), but (2) my AM weigh-ins are higher when I do this because there's more food still in my system, which might freak me out if I didn't realize the reasons behind it.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I never figured that out...Just planned for it