Hip pain after jogging

Options
So ive been working out almost everyday for 2 weeks now and Ive hit my plateau.... so last night i decided to go for a jog... i literally have never gone jogging in my entire life....so i went out for about 45 min (not running the entire time mind you) i would run till i was really out of breath.. then walk for a few min and then run again....
Once i got home i realized that my hips were SOOO sore... this morning it actually hurts to walk... i even feel it when im sitting..
So my question is.... is it normal to feel hip pain if you dont normally run? Is it something that will get better if i stick with it? (Like is my body just not used to that movement?) or is this something i should be worried about?
Thanks everyone!

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I get that sometimes. I havnt gotten it checked out but it is scary, a friend of mine got a hip replacement at 28. He used to roller blade all the time. How are your shoes? You might need more support or perhaps your jogging style needs tweaking so you do put as much pressure on your joints and more on your muscles.
  • militarywife100
    Options
    Well im starting to think i will need a hip replacement early.... even before my kids... when i walk my hips make this crack noise with every step.... maybe it as to do with that...
  • irongirl73
    irongirl73 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I had bursitis in my hip and it hurt when sitting, running, and lying. I had cortisone injected into it and went to physical therapy. I say rest it and if it doesn't go away then ice and advil. If still no luck, then it the orthopedic dr. and get your diagnosis!
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Definitely see a doctor. I messed up my hip WALKING and needed surgery to repair a labral tear. If you need any advice, message me!
  • LettyM62
    LettyM62 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I used to get hip pain when I first started running. I think it had something to do with the shoes I was wearing, they were just plain old exercise shoes. Once I got fittted for the right type of running shoes the pain went away.
  • JenOman
    JenOman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I get that occasionally, it is usually if I am on a weird surface or if I do a really long run (>8 miles). Stretch it out, get good shoes (go to a running store, not a box store), take some ibuprofen and take it easy for a couple of days

Good luck!
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of hip pain when I first started doing interval running. It should get better as your body gets more used to the movements of running. My advice is don't run two consecutive days until you're more used to it.

Also, where in the hip does it hurt? For me the worst was at the top back part of the hip (like above the buttocks, a bit to the outside of the body). I found some stretches to do after running that really help. If you search for piriformis (the name of the muscle) stretches you should find some good pictures and videos of the stretch. (For example, http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/flexibilityandstretching/qt/Lying-Piriformis-str.htm)

Good luck, and hope you are feeling better soon.
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Your hips may be 'rotated'.... if you have the habit of sitting on one of your legs (crossed under you)... this may be to blame. Maybe a good time to see a chiropractor?

However, it may also be your shoes. There is a science and purpose for 'running' shoes. I love Asics, but there's others. Your 'form' could also be off.... wow, it could be so many things! I know....

Aches and soreness comes with sports, but you shouldn't hurt. Take it easy out there and enjoy your jog. :smile:
  • BeckyHernandez
    Options
    Hip pain is totally normal, it sounds like you just did too much on your first effort. It will get better in a day or two, just don't stop or you will have pain every time. Start 2X's week for 20 min. and then increase to 30 min. When you can do 30 min. without pain add a day. Good Luck!
  • rhiannonlotton
    rhiannonlotton Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I had alot of hip pain when I first started running, too (slight case of Bursitis).

I asked a guy I know who runs marathons about it and he taught me a little breathing tip to help. He explained that for some people, exhaling on the same leg over and over causes extra stress on that leg and hip joint. So his suggestion:

Breath in x2, out x1, in x2, out x1 so that the rhythym has you exhaling on alternating legs.

Worth a try - it worked for me. Hip pain gone.
  • airycha
    airycha Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I just started jogging last week and I haven't had hip pain but my ankles have been bothering me, but my leg muscles have also been pretty sore from not being used to jogging. One side (hip) does pop a lot when I walk but it doesn't hurt. Most of my joints pop a lot though, ankles (pretty much every time I go down stairs and if I adjust my weight from one foot to the other) and my right elbow (radial head fracture a few years ago).

Good luck with running and hopefully it's just something temporary! Try taking an NSAID if you are sore.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    IT Band most likely. get a foam roller and roll out your on lateral thigh from the knee to the hip roll slowly.
  • JenGilronan
    JenGilronan Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Always take things easy and remember to stretch and ice.
    I was training for a half marathon a few years back when my co-workers noticed weakness in my right hip just by watching the way I walk! After about another year my hip began to pain me and I finally went to MD. I had tendonitis (from running too much with little streching) and I also have a labral tear. I ended up not having surgery but I perform stretching and strengthening exercise frequently ( I am a physical therapist assistant). I began running this summer. It is sore some days but stretch, ice, rest days, and exercise help me.
  • Amysgetnfit
    Options
    Good shoes
    Lots of stretching
    Ice after workouts
    start off in moderation & build, too much all of a sudden NOT GOOD.
    some people actually need to "POP" their hips, its like the joint isnt used to using such a range of motion & gets slightly locked. & they will pop, crack, kind of like cracking your back or knuckles (mine used to pop a lot, then one day it popped so bad that, I almost fell down, I stood there for a few minutes, breathing deeply, started walking slowly & It quit hurting, & has never hurt since (knock on wood) but sure scared the crap out of me!
    sciatic nerve sometimes an issue or if your back is out of alignment....
    Theres lots of possibilities, But its very normal to have hip pain when you arent used to jogging/running
    Listen to your body, anything that doesnt go away after a little while needs looking into by a proffesional