Weak Core

Options
gdfrew
gdfrew Posts: 45 Member
edited December 2020 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm fairly certain my core is very weak. A while ago doing exercises especially like flutter kicks I get a deep pain in the lower abdominals. Not just the nornal burning muscle sensation I can take that. It happens slightly when doing crunches as well. When that happened I had to almost stop for a good few weeks as the pain lasted a while. Just this week I've tried again and using an ab wheel as well the pain is back. So I'm assuming my core is very weak. I am fine with bridges and a Russian twist and fairly certain a plank as well.

Im not sure I'd call it doms if it lasted a few weeks the last time?

Any tips on improving my core? Feel that is what is holding me back recently

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Try get back ups. Does wonders for the core

https://youtu.be/o0_DoicHg2E
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Try the strong core plan at BodyFit by Amy. It's a one-month programme of workouts partly aimed at helping women rebuild their core after childbirth, but even as someone not in that situation (female but not post-partum) I found it really useful. https://bodyfitbyamy.com/product/4-week-strong-core-more/ (You can access the workouts for free via her youtube page.)
  • crowsknoll
    crowsknoll Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend just starting off slowly and do modified versions of whatever exercise you're trying to do. I had a c-section and for a while afterward my core was incredibly weak. I started by sitting on a bench with an incline and lifting my legs as high as I could. Eventually, you'll be able to build up enough strength to do the unmodified versions. Just be patient and don't push yourself too hard!

Some examples:
    Lay back with palms flat on the ground to help stabilize until you can build more strength
    Flutter kicks: Just lift one leg at a time instead of trying to hold both up in the air at the same time
    Bikes: same as flutter kicks; you could even place your foot back down on the ground in between reps if it helps
    Russian twists: sit up higher and reduce the range of motion or place a hand to the side to help stabilize
    Planks: do these on your knees instead and hold for a shorter period
    Mountain climbers: fewer reps and bring one leg up slowly at a time instead of the "jump"
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    What you described doesn't sound like normal muscle fatigue & weakness. There can be medical reasons for ab pain from exercise, such as hernias. Consider talking to a doctor.

• 142jmh
    142jmh Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    charmmeth wrote: »
    Try the strong core plan at BodyFit by Amy. It's a one-month programme of workouts partly aimed at helping women rebuild their core after childbirth, but even as someone not in that situation (female but not post-partum) I found it really useful. https://bodyfitbyamy.com/product/4-week-strong-core-more/ (You can access the workouts for free via her youtube page.)

I definitely second this!