AM I MAKING THE RIGHT CHOICE?

Options
Hi, I've been watching myself for the past month, and I have joined spark people last week. Yay! In order to lose 1.5 lbs a week, I was put on 1260 calories/ day with my sedentary lifestyle and with working out on the elliptical for an hour six days a week. I am five feet tall (short! I know) and I currently weigh 207 lbs. My problem is, last week I didn't lose any weight and this week I even gained a pound!

I read a lot of these postings, and everyone is saying "up the calories". So, I am changing my plan to 1500 calories/day. Does this sound like a good choice? or should I stick out the 1260 calories- both plans, I still plan on working out an hour six days a week. Thanks for your help and input!!!

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back the calories you earn from exercise? Also, if you have just started working out, many people report an initial gain as the body holds onto some water.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Dont they have a forum?
  • skippykip
    skippykip Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    No, I am not eating back my calories. I eat my initial 1260 that it tells me to eat. That's good to know that initially people hold onto water weight. I've been working out everyday for a month, but just started eating my 1260 calories this past week.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I am also 5 feet tall, so I'll chime in. I've lost 15 pounds since the beginning of July (and an additional 12 before joining MFP) by eating around 1200 calories a day (sometimes a bit more and sometimes a bit less, but it averages out to about 1200) and exercising daily. If I don't exercise and eat 1200 calories per day then I don't lose any weight. I know that if I were to eat 1500 calories per day in addition to exercising, then I would gain weight. It's hard for us shorties to create a significant deficit! If I were you, I'd give it another week or two before eating additional calories. You could be retaining water this week, especially if it's that time of the month. Adding more calories *might* work for you, but you're short, so it might not...
  • skippykip
    skippykip Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for giving me hope fellow shortee!! :) I appreciate everyone's input!!
  • gianna42
    gianna42 Posts: 5,991 Member
    Options
    I would give things at least 3 week before increasing. It could be water, sodium, change in diet - I think giving it a bit more time will give you a more accurate picture. Good luck!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    No, I am not eating back my calories. I eat my initial 1260 that it tells me to eat.

I have been eating back my exercise calories and have good success with that so you might give that a whirl. And I am short, too. 5'2" on a good day.